Cache markers or just some trash?

hobbes_lives

Forum Supporter
Hi all. I am new to this group, as I just recently purchased a metal detector (Garrett ACE 250) and started detecting again. (Something I used to love to do as a child.)

Here's my scenario...

While metal detecting in a local back yard, I ran across a pie tin that was buried upside-down, about 5-6 inches deep. Not wanting to dig a large hole in the yard to remove it, I reburied it and kept on hunting. About twenty to twenty-five feet away, I found another pie tin, buried in a similar manner, upside-down, at a similar depth. This one, I dug half-way up, confirming it was definitely a pie tin, then buried the hole, again not wanting to make such a big mess.

Later that evening, while thinking about how odd it was that there would be two pie tins buried in such a manner, it dawned on me that maybe these were placed there as markers, and not just some random trash!

Is this possible that these are cache markers? Should I make an effort to go crazy digging under, around and between these pie tins, or just assume it's a really odd coincidence? Any other ideas on why pie tins would be buried like this?

I didn't really find much other trash like this in the yard. Found several wheat pennies, some dimes, some hot wheels, something that may be a meteorite, and other random items. The pie tins seem really out of place.

You guys (and gals) know lots more about caches than I do, so what do you think?

TIA!

Welcome to the forum!

If those are markers they would be on the outside IMHO

However, draw a line between the tins and see if it leads to anything else "out of place"

Try to think as the person trying to hide it, what would you do? Where would you hide it?

Oh, maybe try removing one and see if there is a signal under it.

This sounds very intriquing. Are there any other reasons they could be there? Are they aluminum foil, or more solid?
At any rate, keep us posted!

That does sound a bit bizarre. It would surely make me wonder. The Only thing I could think of is, Maybe it Might have something to do with moles. Or some other underground pest. Maybe it might scare them away from the area, or something.

Vlad, thanks for the warm welcome! I think I am going to search further. Like you said, I'm going to search between and under the pie tins.

B. Positive, they are the thin, disposable aluminum/tin type.

Don, it's funny you should mention moles. The yard is a mole haven. On several digs, I dug into mole tunnels. I've never heard of using pie pans to get rid of moles, though. It obviously doesn't work, if that is the intent!

Thank you all. I'll let you know if I come up with anything further.

There is a similar situation at a homesite that was used between 1880 and 1980 and i found 2 or three pie tins right next to each other towards the back corner of the house. I didn't want to dig them up because they seemed to be pretty deep and I would have to leave a large hole. However, my uncle doesn't live there anymore, but just farms their. He won't care if i dig them up so i might give it a go. Can't wait to see your results.

Well, here's a quick update...

I dug up one of the pie tins to see if I could detect anything underneath. I came up with nothing. I detected between the two pie tins again using All Metal mode and came up with nothing but a few scraps of rusty iron. I may go ahead and dig up the other pie tin as well, just out of curiosity. I also though about probing with a rod to see if I hit anything solid, but forgot to do it that day. I may not have had time anyway, since it was getting dark. I'll have to go back and try that when I have the time. I'll update again then, if anyone is still interested.

tommyb - I'd definitely like to hear what you find if you go check it out.

early_americana - There may have been a garden there at one time, but it still seems odd that the pie tins are so far down and laying nice and flat.

I'll update again then, if anyone is still interested,

I'd like to hear the end of the story! If it hasn't been brought up before, eyeball a line along the two plates and beyond and see if anything along that line seems out of place.
You just never know, and I agree, why would they be laying flat that deep?
Unless...a small family pet is buried under them and this was done to keep the other pets (dogs, cats) away?

Is there any way you can post the picture of the possible meteorite?

SGT Ames

Also, it would be cool to add a thread/forum link dedicated to meteorites/meteorite ID. This is a suggestion from someone obsessed with finding space rocks though... :D

WELCOME HOBBES AND THIS IS REALLY INTERESTING, I WOULD BE FIGURING ALL ANGLES NO DOUBT!! KEEP US POSTED. GOOD LUCK AND I HOPE YOU FIND THE BIG ONE. DAH DIT DAH

JOHN TOMLINSON,CET
JOHN'S DETECTORS
BEST LITTLE DETECTOR SHOP IN TEXAS!

Argh. Slag is a pain isnt it? I wish it were worth something, hunting meteorites, the amount of slag you pick up is endless. I'd be a millionaire by now!:lol:

Rocco

Back
Top Bottom