We Let The Cop Off Easy, Wuss Award For Detectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin_V3i

Elite Member
I and a hunt buddy went to a city just south of the actual county seat of McKinney, Texas. The city we were run off from was Plano Texas. I had personally never hunted Plano myself but I've come to know of several other detectorists who have or do hunt Plano, and who have also hunted with great success there over time.

So here's how it went down. We find this little park and there's only one local gent walking his dog, except for a gathering beginning at the lone pavilion there on site. I noticed what looked like official badges like officials would wear, so I wondered if it might be city, oriented. They grew in numbers until kids were there, moms too, all the while I and my friend was detecting at a distance. I had spent 90% of my time in the one and only wood chip playground right up to the point I noticed a policeman wandering our way after I'd hit the sodded area and dug, so I immediately joined my buddy just prior to our encounter with the cop.

He was pleasant, even complimentary of our digs since he couldn't see any signs of them, and he even made the comment that we were likely doing good by aerating the soil, removing trash and leaving the sod/plus invisible to the eye. I wasn't threatened by his demeanor at all. His report was from a "city employee" with a stern labeled description that we were up to serious, damaging misconduct. We discussed the city ordinances with the cop being he was claiming ignorance about metal detecting restrictions...he seemed like a rookie in some ways, or was that just his schtick to make his job easier.

So all is going good IMO, things are pleasant, the cop seems easy going and is about to leave us to our detection, yet then asked us if it's OK to get our names to report to the claimant that the report had been followed through. Our names then grew to asking for our DOB, and where we lived. His last request was for a cell number so he could contact us instead of actually coming back himself, to tell us that we weren't allowed to detect after all, following his researching the city codes himself. He left then.

So ten minutes pass and my friends phone rings, and there ensued a rather short conversation which ended in saying we weren't allowed to dig at all, or for that matter, I suspect we were asked to evacuate and leave. I say that because once the call was over I saw his squad car driving off slowly near the group of people at the pavilion. We left, but it's bothered me since how we cowtowed like sheep even to the point that we let him off the hook for not reappearing in person by giving the cell number, to finish this event. This burr is still under my saddle for my being that easy going.

IMO, I honestly believe that one loan person, maybe a soccer mom in that party at the pavilion, ran us off and we let it happen that way.

1. I don't trust cops even more. He admitted we made invisible digs and came across as impressed.

2. The vague verbage in EVERY city's ordinances concerning disturbing the landscape just gives an easy-out to appease some off duty city employee with a knee jerk call-in to the cops with an ugly term about what us two old timers were doing. Wish I could remember the exact term he reported. It was basically ugly.

3. I'm disappointed in myself by rolling over and accommodating this ending result.

This is fair notice to our other North Texas hunters who have hunted Plano successfully over time, some I know have hunted it for years, that you know it's was official today that Plano is "hunt at your own risk." It just seems odd that the county seat here in McKinney where I hunt several of the prominent parks here, where I've had park maintanence people chat about what I've found there, AND the police have driven by with a wave if a wave is sent first. Two cops chatted with me there once saying, "What you are doing is not illegal"

So, now the city of Plano has our personal information when it wasn't required, and you can bet that if either one of us were to decide to detect Plano again, our names are red flagged so the penalty won't be simply being run off.

Nice guys finish last. martin

BTW, this park was not one of their pride and joy parks either. Not maintained well. I didn't mind much leaving, but it's the principle of the thing. m

Maybe that park was the honey hole for the cop and he didn't want anyone to know about it. That sucks though. There's 1,000,000+ other things wrong we could be doing besides digging a hole and enjoying ourselves. That's usually my argument when someone has a problem with me minding my own business. It's disrespectful to a point because they don't understand the pride we have when it comes to our hobby. They just think we are digging holes. Don't let them get you down. :digginahole:

I would have asked the EXACT ordinance that I was violating, if the cop can't tell you that, then there is no crime being committed, right?

Yeah, it's unfortunate that the vast majority of us are responsibly and respectful, yet still have to suffer the consequences of those who don't have the sense to leave the garden spade at home, or think of anything more than increasing their silver tallies. I have a lot of respect for those who work in law enforcement. We might not agree with their attitude or methods, but the still deserve our respect and cooperation, for no other reason than they have high stress job, and carry an assortment of unpleasant weapons. They do wrong, they can be correct afterwards There are people you can talk to, to resolve any issues.

I'm glad you were easy going. It's a few days till payday and I wouldn't have had the money to bail you out. :laughing::laughing: Don't really know what more you could have done anyway.

I would have asked the EXACT ordinance that I was violating, if the cop can't tell you that, then there is no crime being committed, right?

Really ????
Oh, by the way Officer, since you can't quote the EXACT ordinance to me, I think I will just stay around. Yeah right !!!! Obviously you have never dealt with too many Texas Police Officers. They say go, best go or they will quote you something that starts with "You have the right to remain silent"

Really ????
Oh, by the way Officer, since you can't quote the EXACT ordinance to me, I think I will just stay around. Yeah right !!!! Obviously you have never dealt with too many Texas Police Officers. They say go, best go or they will quote you something that starts with "You have the right to remain silent"

That's fine, but if you are arresting someone, you better know what law you are arresting them for breaking! I mean a cop can't juts arrest you because he feels like it, and if he does he will lose in a court of law. We have laws and ordinances for a reason, texas or not...

That's fine, but if you are arresting someone, you better know what law you are arresting them for breaking! I mean a cop can't juts arrest you because he feels like it, and if he does he will lose in a court of law. We have laws and ordinances for a reason, texas or not...

I do not disagree with you in theory, however, if you think that the Officer has to quote you the EXACT ordinance then you are wrong. I would be willing to bet that Officers make arrests all the time without being able to quote the EXACT statute that the person is violating. You can't expect them to quote the laws by memory. They are not required to do that. If he says we have an ordinance against digging in the park and you need to leave, that's good enough for me. I'm not gonna take my chances and refuse to leave because he can't quote the Ordinance # and verbage from memory.

I'm sorry, but what? Why on earth would you surrender your personal information and compromise your privacy voluntarily? I know it's not related to metal detecting but if you ever get pulled over and the officer asks if they can search your car, the answer is always no.

I do not disagree with you in theory, however, if you think that the Officer has to quote you the EXACT ordinance then you are wrong. I would be willing to bet that Officers make arrests all the time without being able to quote the EXACT statute that the person is violating. You can't expect them to quote the laws by memory. They are not required to do that. If he says we have an ordinance against digging in the park and you need to leave, that's good enough for me. I'm not gonna take my chances and refuse to leave because he can't quote the Ordinance # and verbage from memory.

Thanks for your insight and opinion... But if you are telling someone that they are violating a law or ordinance, then you must know the law otherwise, you can't just pull it outta your hat and say "I'm arresting you because "I think" you are doing something wrong. They are bound by laws as well...

I've read this before and in my opinion all that it exhibits is open avenues of vagueness concerning what we do as detectors. To me, this is hardly any different that almost every written policy in every city.

This was one of my points being made in the OP, that and the fact we let the cop off the hook as far as not coming back in person for an in-depth explanation.

Show me a definite passage if you will. martin

They are bound by laws but in most states they can hold you for 24 hrs for questioning but it doesn't matter what they are questioning for. :roll: But if they can't charge you with something they will let you go. I would think at the 24 hr mark they would probably let you go and give you a ticket for destruction of public property. Regardless it would all be a mess! I hope this kinda thing never happens to me, I tend to flip out. :mad:

Thanks for your insight and opinion... But if you are telling someone that they are violating a law or ordinance, then you must know the law otherwise, you can't just pull it outta your hat and say "I'm arresting you because "I think" you are doing something wrong. They are bound by laws as well...

The OP said the Officer had gone back and researched the article and said that they could not dig in the park. That's not pulling something out of his hat. All I was saying was that it would not have been a good idea to question the knowledge of the Officer once he told them to leave.

This is EXACTLY why I LOVE and HATE this hobby!!! They, the authorities, need to start focusing their efforts on kids shooting, stabbing, driveby's, etc etc etc instead of worrying about someone "scratch'n dirt" pull'n out '65 quarters out of the ground all the time!!! I'm tell'n ya, 65's are VERY COMMON!!! Anyways, there are SOOOO MANY other crimes to worry about:mad: Just unbelievable where this country is heading!!!???

HH \_ people... try to at least :roll:

The OP said the Officer had gone back and researched the article and said that they could not dig in the park. That's not pulling something out of his hat. All I was saying was that it would not have been a good idea to question the knowledge of the Officer once he told them to leave.

I would not question the knowledge of an officer but I would not hesitate to apologize for my ignorance and ask for a favor. I would ask the officer to jot down a reference to the code that I was violating so that I could do some research to see where and how it applied to me so that I could avoid any future violations of the relevant code.

They, the authorities, need to start focusing their efforts on kids shooting, stabbing, driveby's, etc etc etc instead of worrying about someone "scratch'n dirt" pull'n out '65 quarters out of the ground all the time!!! I'm tell'n ya, 65's are VERY COMMON!!! Anyways, there are SOOOO MANY other crimes to worry about:mad: Just unbelievable where this country is heading!!!???

Can't disagree with you there !!!!

As a retired cop, I've had feet planted firmly in both camps. The cop should have been straight up with you in the first place. It sounds like he wasn't familiar with any applicable ordinance from the get-go and was trying to b.s. his way through a situation without causing himself any extra grief. Unfortunately, in trying to placate everyone and offend no one sometimes a person can end up p***ing off all involved. At the very least, he should have come back and spoken to you face-to-face and given you a clear-cut explanation for his request. FWIW, you handled it prudently. I'm sorry that the incident left an understandable distaste in your mouth, but please remember not all cops are c.s.

As a retired cop, I've had feet planted firmly in both camps. The cop should have been straight up with you in the first place. It sounds like he wasn't familiar with any applicable ordinance from the get-go and was trying to b.s. his way through a situation without causing himself any extra grief. Unfortunately, in trying to placate everyone and offend no one sometimes a person can end up p***ing off all involved. At the very least, he should have come back and spoken to you face-to-face and given you a clear-cut explanation for his request. FWIW, you handled it prudently. I'm sorry that the incident left an understandable distaste in your mouth, but please remember not all cops are c.s.

I think Martin was right when he said the guy was probably inexperienced. He was trying to be nice to them but he had a complaint from someone and so he had to inform them that they couldn't dig even if he didn't see any harm in it. Someone called and complained and that's exactly what forced the Officer's hand. I agree that he should have handled it in person instead of the phone. I had the same thing happen to me the other day when I was detecting in the low income housing area here in town. I have hunted there for years with no issues but someone called in and the Officers responded. They never told me I had to leave but only that my presence was freaking people out, "white guy swinging a detector" (his words not mine). I told them that I have hunted the area for years but I did not want to cause any trouble and would just leave on my own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom