• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Beware of KellyCo. I've learned my lesson...

TrailChaser

My son expressed interest in MDing so I bought a new machine this morning... I'm finally back to digging.(well as soon as my MD comes in)

Just ordered a Fisher F4 with the option 2 premium pack this morning. When I check my emails at lunch I see one from KellyCo saying I need to call a 1-800 # about my order!!! Of the thousands of purchases I've made online, I've NEVER had a retailer email me to call them...
So I call expecting some major BS.. I was not disappointed. After sitting on hold for 5-10mins, I get sales who can't help..tranfers me to customer service..They NEED my order #... I'm on the phone that I used to check the email that said to call you!!! So after a bit,,, my name will suffice..?(couldn't do that to start with?)
Problem is that my billing address differs from my ship to address..So they need my voice on the phone to verify the ship to address???(I used my own fingers to type in the address that morning.. Seems pretty verified from my end..? right?)
When I express that I'm not happy about having to call them about this instead of them just calling me(my phone # was filled in when placing the order) the woman on the phone got an attitude about it stating that it's co. policy.

TL:DR Their company policy is to assume(you/me) the customer is too stupid to know their own address, so they make you sit on hold when you call..then give you lip if you're not happy about it.

PS: I can verify that this is legit if needed.

I would have to take Kellyco's side on the address issue only. I understand your frustration on how it was all handled. I sell lots of stuff on e-bay(not MD related) and if the addresses don't sync the item is not shipped. Hope you have good luck with your new detector.

They may have been concerned about fraud. A different ship-to address compared to the card holder's address can raise a red flag. My wife's debit card was stolen a couple weeks ago and the crook was able to ring up almost $600 in charges via smartphone (while my wife was talking to the police!) before the auto fraud protection kicked on. Kellyco may have been able to handle it differently but be grateful they checked. Just my experience.

My son expressed interest in MDing so I bought a new machine this morning... I'm finally back to digging.(well as soon as my MD comes in)

Just ordered a Fisher F4 with the option 2 premium pack this morning. When I check my emails at lunch I see one from KellyCo saying I need to call a 1-800 # about my order!!! Of the thousands of purchases I've made online, I've NEVER had a retailer email me to call them...
So I call expecting some major BS.. I was not disappointed. After sitting on hold for 5-10mins, I get sales who can't help..tranfers me to customer service..They NEED my order #... I'm on the phone that I used to check the email that said to call you!!! So after a bit,,, my name will suffice..?(couldn't do that to start with?)
Problem is that my billing address differs from my ship to address..So they need my voice on the phone to verify the ship to address???(I used my own fingers to type in the address that morning.. Seems pretty verified from my end..? right?)
When I express that I'm not happy about having to call them about this instead of them just calling me(my phone # was filled in when placing the order) the woman on the phone got an attitude about it stating that it's co. policy.

TL:DR Their company policy is to assume(you/me) the customer is too stupid to know their own address, so they make you sit on hold when you call..then give you lip if you're not happy about it.

PS: I can verify that this is legit if needed.

What is the beware?? I don't get it. I am not Kellyco's biggest fan at all, but dude ... lighten up :laughing:

And please let us in on the lesson you learned so we can all learn :roll:

As a dealer I can tell you that there are crazy amounts of fraud in this industry. We have our own way of verifying shipping addresses but I don't think verifying over the phone is unreasonable.

Yep, they are just protecting themselves. If it's fraudulent, they lose lots of money. Annoying but, they aren't a big shop like Amazon, so you have to make allowances.

I have ordered from Kellyco twice with no problems at all. Sorry to hear you had to go through the hassle of calling them but as others have said it's good they wanted to make sure it was a legit order given the address conflict. Enjoy it!!

Our company uses a company that verifies the addresses on charge cards. Sometimes, the address matching algorithm isn't very good. I know that PayPal will see (or at least used to see) differences in the address I typed in and the one they have on file, and the only difference I can see is that Tom != Thomas and Drive is abbreviated to Dr.

Our company lets us see whether the address didn't match, or if the first 5 of the zip don't match. We then have to contact the customer to get it fixed, much like KellyCo.

I am not a KellyCo fan, but can't blame them for this.

-- Tom

KellyCo is on this forum and mentioned they will take care of all Friendly Forum Members....to provide whenever feasible, appropriate customer service, discounts, etc. I've bought from all over, new & used but when contacting Kelly co you (all forum people) need to mention they are from Friendly Forums and should ask for Mark. His info is below:

Mark Figueroa
KellyCo Rep
888-535-5926

This thread makes NO SENSE!

They did exactly what they were suppose to do.

For one the address thing is a gimme ... that applies anywhere.

You created a thread to bash a company that did what they were suppose to do and covered their rear end and yours in reality.

You gotta chill bro ... just call and verify some info for everyone's protection and get back to your stressful life ... cause if that was nuts for you everyday events must send you to the looney bin!!! :D

I can see their point, it really is to protect you, not them. I can see someone ripping off your info like CC# and address, using the proper info to charge it to you, and have it sent to either the persons address who is ripping you off or some other address where they know they can get hold of it without anyone knowing, and not tipping off the cops who they are that's frauding people.

Wow, So you guys all like to sit on hold after buying $450 worth of merchandise... Sitting on hold while my order sits on hold.

I gave them my phone # in the order info. I wouldn't give it out if calling me would be a problem. I can also assure you that anyone calling me will get a live person or a call back from a live person.

So why does everyone think it's perfectly okay for a company to put your order on hold while they hope you call them to verify some info after emailing you?(don't forget they had to be looking at my provided phone number if they were dealing with my order)
I'm sure most of you sit on the computer and deal with calls and emails all day at work.(hence the flood of replies from lunchtime till quitting time) I however, work as a machinist and do not check my emails very often.(only reason I checked at lunch was to see if I had an email stating that my order had shipped.

This is the email I received: Thank you for recent order with Kellyco. However, we need to verify some information on your order. Please contact customer service at 1-800-327-9697 at your earliest convenience so that we can process your order immediately.

Notice the lack of extension? That's why I sat on hold for about half my lunch break to insure my order would actually be shipped in a timely manner.

Had I known this would have been the case I would have ordered from Amazon Prime an got my detector in two days.

As you can see from that email. If I hadn't checked my email today, my order would not have shipped out today.(still haven't gotten an email saying it shipped) Lots of times I'll go a few days without checking it... See where this could be a problem?

As for verifying addresses for people who just finished filling out your new customer sign in only hours before..that's just plain dumb. Sorry, but that's what it is.. A dumbass waste of time for both parties. Especially when you know you're having them call you, and there will be a hold time on the phone because you're just having them call the random main line #.

Sorry for putting you all thru this. I had no idea this was accepted or expected customer service in this industry...

Our company uses a company that verifies the addresses on charge cards. Sometimes, the address matching algorithm isn't very good. I know that PayPal will see (or at least used to see) differences in the address I typed in and the one they have on file, and the only difference I can see is that Tom != Thomas and Drive is abbreviated to Dr.

Our company lets us see whether the address didn't match, or if the first 5 of the zip don't match. We then have to contact the customer to get it fixed, much like KellyCo.

I am not a KellyCo fan, but can't blame them for this.

-- Tom

Fair enough, but the question here is how do you get in contact with your customers? Do you simply fire off an email and hope it doesn't end up in a spam filter for them to call you? Even after they've provided you with their phone number? If you do have them call you do you make them sit on hold for an undisclosed amount of time before getting an attitude with them?

I can see their point, it really is to protect you, not them. I can see someone ripping off your info like CC# and address, using the proper info to charge it to you, and have it sent to either the persons address who is ripping you off or some other address where they know they can get hold of it without anyone knowing, and not tipping off the cops who they are that's frauding people.

Now could you see my point? I'm not looking for them to protect me, but if it's absolutely necessary they need to pick up a phone and make a call. Not send a random email and hope I read it and call them back.
I'm wondering how long my order would have just sat in limbo if my spam filter caught it and I never called...

This thread makes NO SENSE!

They did exactly what they were suppose to do.

For one the address thing is a gimme ... that applies anywhere.

You created a thread to bash a company that did what they were suppose to do and covered their rear end and yours in reality.

You gotta chill bro ... just call and verify some info for everyone's protection and get back to your stressful life ... cause if that was nuts for you everyday events must send you to the looney bin!!! :D

Sorry to confuse you...

"For one the address thing is a gimme ... that applies anywhere." I can assure you that you are 100% wrong.

As for chill bro.? I have a better time chilling when I'm not wasting my lunch break on the hold with no idea why other than knowing my stuff isn't shipping until I talk to someone.

As a dealer I can tell you that there are crazy amounts of fraud in this industry. We have our own way of verifying shipping addresses but I don't think verifying over the phone is unreasonable.

You are right, verifying over the phone by calling the number I provided would have been perfectly acceptable.

Trailchaser: I know your frustrated but listen. As an online merchant, Visa & Mastercard hold all my funds for 4-6 months. Any fraudulent charges are 100% my responsibility and not covered by my business insurance. Therefore KC policy is there to protect you and themselves.

I hope this sheds new light on the bigger picture of the transaction and we can lay this to rest by transitioning to you telling us about your new detector and maybe asking for tips on how to use it. :beers:

I just cleaned up the name calling... if it starts up again we will close the thread.

Back
Top Bottom