New show Dig Wars, premiers this Wednesday June 12th at 9pm central time on the Travel Channel

I didn't watch the show, but I've heard a few people mention that it showed someone "seeding" an area with pennies????

Great! Now I wonder how many thousand smartasses out there instantly got the same idea about doing the same thing to spots that they've seen us all hunt at?

I'll take all the pennies I can get!

I didn't watch the show, but I've heard a few people mention that it showed someone "seeding" an area with pennies????

Great! Now I wonder how many thousand smartasses out there instantly got the same idea about doing the same thing to spots that they've seen us all hunt at?

So, LET 'EM! I dig pennies, and how many of those "smartasses" do you think will take the time to make sure they aren't tossing out a few Wheat Pennies?

Lots of shows have a disclaimer at the beginning... MythBusters comes back from EVERY break with a "don't try this at home" disclaimer. Pawn Stars rolls in and out of breaks with trivia.

All they need to make this show better is a few things:

- a little bit of the code of ethics, even if it's just some pop up text during the action of the show... or a disclaimer at the beginning or coming in and out of commercial breaks. "The producers got permission from the xxx historical society to allow detecting and filming on these grounds, which are usually off-limits to metal detecting.. Always get permission before metal detecting" yada yada throw it up on the screen for a few seconds.. PLEASE

- just a few seconds of hole filling and tamping... cut out a few seconds of the BS dialogue and detectorists talking to the camera (in that way over-acting voice) and now you have room for some hole filling

- at least add a few seconds at the end of the program showing all the trash that was dug. Heck, they could even make it part of the competition and weigh the trash that each team dug up. The team that dug the most trash gains/loses points however they want to play it

Just those little things would help the program - and the hobby - a lot!

I like the positive attitude.

we all enjoy watching !!!! TV so why not watch !!!! TV about the hobby :)

The main thing I didn't like is that the sound editting was off there would be a pin pointer sound when no one was using a pin pointer. And the there was only 2 different detector sounds when there was atleast 3 different types of detectors. It was a Ok show but the sound editting was horrible

Great Show One Problem!

Everything was great and well done.

I will not forgive you teaching people to salt areas with pennies

You may havecostthem a a find better than your stunt and created problems for us.

So I just finished watching Dig Wars on On-Demand, not gonna lie, I didn't hate it. It was a fun show, I liked the diggers and enjoyed the relationship between them. They were being competitive but in a fun, whimsical nature. Are there some problems with the show? Sure, but we're coming from that in a bit of a biased frame of mind. We know the ins and outs of this hobby but the producers of this show aren't trying to get JUST detectorists to watch, they want it to be viewable by ALL people, it's a numbers game. Does the regular guy want to watch 10 minutes showing proper dig technique....nope. They want to see cool finds. We're all a bit nervous that these shows are going to send 1000's of people to our spots and ruin the hobby. The vast majority of people aren't going out and buying a detector. Some may, some will stay with us, most will give it up. One thing I did like was that the finds actually looked like they were dug up. On the other detecting shows the finds look like they just pulled them out of a museum. That stirrup definitely looked freshly dug. All in all, a fun little show that I'll watch again.

i see alot of people bitching and moaning and "im disappointed in you ron" etc. etc... but has anyone taken into account that the people who are on the show are hired and its the people writing the paychecks that have the final say on how the show is scripted and played out? Yea Ron and the others can say "this isn't how we want it done, we want it done how it actually is" but then it would be the same as you walking up to your boss "Hey bossman i want a raise of $5 an hour and to be put on janitorial duties cuz what im doing right now just isn't right for me and that will be easier" hes the one that fills out your checks and he'll say "oh you dont like it? theres the door." The ones HIRED to play a part aren't the ones that get to say what happens and how it happens the ones that do are the guys in the big office at Travel Channel HQ filling out Ron's and everyones check.

i see alot of people bitching and moaning and "im disappointed in you ron" etc. etc... but has anyone taken into account that the people who are on the show are hired and its the people writing the paychecks that have the final say on how the show is scripted and played out?

Last edited:
One suggestion I have, get Bert 'The Machine' Kreischer on the show. He also has shows on the Travel Channel and it's pretty common for people to appear on other peoples shows on that channel. He's a stand-up comic who just makes everything more fun. Just a thought.:D

Dig Wars Disappointment

Wow. Here is another show in line with the silly metal detecting reality series that will encourage folks to buy metal detectors to strike it rich. I saw the professionals doing lots of whooping and hollering over holes, and all kinds of treasures coming out of the ground. In fact, a $2000 coin was dug! Don't you love it when that happens? They also had the clown squad that dug up a 100lb live ordinance, threw it in their beer cooler, and schlepped it down to the local antique store to get an appraisal on it. How many times do you have to hear, "THATS A GOOD SOUND, I HEAR MONEY". Where is the appreciation of history here? Hey, if this is the general image that we want to project for the MDing community, lets not try to stand tall and claim that this is about history appreciation. Lets have a couple of brewskies and dig up artifacts!

I was VERY disappointed in Dig Wars. Would rather watch the show Diggers 10-1 to be completely honest. Carrying shovels around for digging does not set a very good example. Also seen a bit of footage that they forgot to edit out. It was the girl kicking in somebody's giant plug they dug and left. New from the beginning it was going to be terrible.

Yeah, I saw that giant plug that dissappeared when she started digging....I enjoyed the show, but that really killed the whole idea for me

Dig Wars is a winner.

I did not find the over acting to be too much, nor did the finds seem planted. I enjoyed the appraisal process at the end of the hunt. I did find it worrysome that they would carry around live munitions that had been fired. That was the only down part of the show. There should be a disclaimer about illegal, improper hunting. Maybe the code of ethics rolled into the credits before and after each show. I'd love to see Boom Baby and family in handcuffs and their car being towed in one of their episodes. I think they got this show right. They need to work on the happy dance though.

Dig Wars was a huge disappointment.

We just seem to keep arming the archaeologists and historically over-sensitive types with ammo to use against us in turning public opinion and vilifying us. This leads to more government regulation and fewer areas that we can hunt.

I don't care what the arkies think, but they are more powerful than us in forming the public perception of us, and this show just stokes their fire.

Don't get me wrong, Boom Baby was a disgrace, but this show was even worse than that. Boom Baby asked permission to hunt PRIVATE LANDS.

This show intimated that anyone can simply hop in a boat and motor on over to Fort St. Philip (declared a national historic landmark in 1960) and start filling their pockets with all the hi$tory they can haul out of there.

I am sure they had all the permits ect. but the show did not explain that.
To the causal observer, this show does make us look like a bunch of looting profiter's.

I had very high hopes for the show seeing that Ron is involved. His other show he did hunting in England was tastefully done with a focus on the historic Intrinsic Value of items discovered.

This show is a disgrace to our hobby.

Everything you said. I've never seen a post get 6 thumbs up. Maybe I haven't paid enough attention. Either way, nailed it.

Better pennies then fishing weights LOL

If people believe they can go to historical sites and just start digging without permission because they seen it on tv shouldnt be detecting or watching any Dirty Harry movies either.:laughing: I think people who would leave massive holes in the ground and leave trash etc. would already be inclined to do those things TV or not. I just cant see what others are of the show destroying the hobby. Looks like a few groups of enthusiast having some fun at some great sites they have secured permission on. If people need reminded of digging ethics all the time they probably wouldnt be paying attention anyways. My nephew and I never heard of the code of ehtics before joining the forum, and we were not playing yard pirates sneaking on private property or blowing up holes in the ground. Morals and ethics are part of a persons core and dont matter a lick of how many times its flashed on a tv screen. The arguement of Arch types having more ammo with a video of digging wars would be like taking a Gilligans Island video to a boat manufacturer and demanding no more vessels are to be made of that particular model. Not that Terry hasnt made valid points ( I personaly respect him greatly) I see it as entertainment for anyone interested in watching. Heck, getting paid for hunting some of the most prime detecting spots around? Nope I cant because people might think they can rent a boat and trespass on historical ground and not fill in their holes.:lol:

Back
Top Bottom