Ticks and permethrin

Gauntlet

Forum Supporter
'tis the season....

(Just posting as a reminder)

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2018/...h-hot-feet-coating-could-keep-ticks-away.html

Scientists at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) think they can fight the scourge of tick-borne diseases by encouraging people to douse their clothes in a chemical called permethrin.

In a new study, published today (May 24) in the Journal of Medical Entomology, researchers showed that permethrin-treated clothes can seriously mess up a tick's stride. Stick some adult ticks on a pair of regular pants tilted at a 45-degree angle, and 100 percent of them will still be clinging on 5 minutes later. Stick adult ticks on a pair of tilted pants treated with permethrin, though, and 42.5 percent will tumble off entirely. Even those that remain get seriously messed up. The researchers found that only 25 percent of the ticks were moving normally even 24 hours after exposure.

"All tested tick species and life stages experienced irritation, the 'hot-foot' effect, after coming into contact with permethrin-treated clothing," Lars Eisen, a CDC entomologist who worked on the study, said in a statement.

Permethrin isn't a new chemical. You can already buy clothes coated in the stuff, which one manufacturer markets as repelling "mosquitoes, ticks, ants, flies, chiggers and midges" and persisting on the clothes through at least 70 rounds in the washing machine. Drugs.com recommends it as a treatment for lice and scabies, and states that it's not known to be toxic to humans — though it can cause some mild irritation in some people.

Researchers said in the paper that it's still not known how long permethrin remains effective in clothing, because all the clothes they tested were "pristine" and freshly treated. But these results do suggest real benefits to permethrin-treated socks, pants and other clothes, they said.

Ticks are responsible for a number of serious diseases, as Live Science has previously reported, including Lyme disease. And their range appears to be spreading, likely due to climate change . That means that, for scientists at the CDC, the project of stopping them is ever more urgent.

Precisely. It's all I use. Spray it on your clothing outdoors and wait for it to dry. Simple as that.

I would like to add, however, that permethrin is deadly to cats when it is wet. When dry, the cat can come sit in your lap with no problems. I know because I own a cat.

Do not buy it in an aerosol can or spray bottle. You'll be wasting your money. It'll treat one to two changes of clothing and then it'll be gone.

Instead, get the concentrated stuff off of Amazon. You mix it in an empty one gallon milk jug and it makes up to twenty gallons. Then you can pour it into a spray bottle from there.

The cost for the concentrated stuff is around $28.00. Just search Amazon for "36.8% permethrin" and it'll take you right to it.

Hope this helps someone.

Last edited:
Definitely not recommended by the Manufacturer but I have dusted (number) dust inside the legs of my pants. No ticks. No redbugs either. But not a recommended repellant.

I JUST posted this on another thread!
https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Produc.../dp/B01M4KFZME

Permethrin soak your clothes, let dry far away from cats, and never think about ticks again!
I have areas that are super thick with tiny tiny ticks, just brushing your leg past a bush and you can have hundreds of ticks on your leg. I SWEAR by permethrin for clothing, i don't even have to use regular repellent...

Definitely not recommended by the Manufacturer but I have dusted (number) dust inside the legs of my pants. No ticks. No redbugs either. But not a recommended repellant.

Redbugs and chiggers are the same for those that don't know...

I worked in Missouri for a while, guys out there would take a sock and fill it with Seven Dust, then a couple times a day, pat themselves down with the dusty sock.. Mostly because of chiggers...

<°)))>{

I JUST posted this on another thread!
https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Produc.../dp/B01M4KFZME

Permethrin soak your clothes, let dry far away from cats, and never think about ticks again!
I have areas that are super thick with tiny tiny ticks, just brushing your leg past a bush and you can have hundreds of ticks on your leg. I SWEAR by permethrin for clothing, i don't even have to use regular repellent...

I buy it local...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sawyer-P...othing-Insect-Repellent-9-oz-Aerosol/21811673

I've been using it for years for MD, Deer and Turkey hunting also.... It's the best protection out there

Walmart has a product called Chiggerex with 10% Benzocaine.

I wanted to pour gasoline on my skin and light it on fire, it would have felt better.

Those suckers get in the waistband of your underwear and start biting.

I use the stuff in some rough tick country.

I don't soak my clothes.

I apply to the tops of my boots, bottom of my pants legs. And put a tad on my back above my belt.

That's all.
And I don't have problems with ticks. Any species. Those littler turkey ticks are the ones that are harder usually to control too. The dog tick much easier.

One application a day works for me.
A good test is when picking blackberries. My process works when picking berries. And works for all my other in the woods and weeds doings too.

I do use OFF on the back of my neck and ears for mosquito control.

Using OFF for ticks is a waste of money!!!!
Don't believe what is says on the can. Total bs!! As far as ticks.

Using OFF for ticks is a waste of money!!!!
Don't believe what is says on the can. Total bs!! As far as ticks.

Some "Off", uses some percentage of Deet (Deep Woods= 20℅)

I prefer 99% Deet for mosquitoes.. Muscole, Ben's, 100 anything...

<°)))>{

Deet will screw up lot of stuff..

Painted surfaces, plastic lenses, plastic anything, including steering wheels.. Everything ..

<°)))>{

:wow:
Deet will screw up lot of stuff..

Painted surfaces, plastic lenses, plastic anything, including steering wheels.. Everything ..

<°)))>{

And will take finish off of gun stocks.
Don't ask me how I know. Lol

Did a lot of hunting back in the 80s and 90s in sweltering heat packing a rimfire rifle. Miles and miles of packing rifle. Used the snot out of OFF.

Back
Top Bottom