Finding Places To Go - Georgia

kevinstan

Recently got my wife, 3 kids, and father in law all into metal detecting. Trying to find places to go. Laws are strict in Georgia. Anyone in or new Newnan GA that can point me to some places to go ? There are loads of old historic places around here, but no idea who I would get in touch with for permission to detect there. Anyone have some land near here that wants to share :)

Look up the parcel of land on the county tax website and find out who the taxpayers are, write them a letter and ask them if you can go

Oldest coin dug- 1927 wheatie.

the OnX Hunt app is also really useful to find out property lines, and who owns the property.

the OnX Hunt app is also really useful to find out property lines, and who owns the property.
Exactly! I did find out though that they only update their data once a year, in May, so you still have to verify correct ownership sometimes through the county website. I have had a few parcels I've inquired about have incorrect information due to recent sales. This was from an email from them regarding that issue. Just something to keep in mind. That is also why they have the parcel error reporting function.

.... Laws are strict in Georgia. ...

Really ? Any stricter/different than other states ? What source are you looking at, that leads you to believe that they different or stricter than elsewhere ? And did you mean @ state land? fed land ? county land ? city land ? private land ? or ... ?

Recently got my wife, 3 kids, and father in law all into metal detecting. Trying to find places to go. Laws are strict in Georgia. Anyone in or new Newnan GA that can point me to some places to go ? There are loads of old historic places around here, but no idea who I would get in touch with for permission to detect there. Anyone have some land near here that wants to share :)

Several clubs in the area etc. https://www.google.ca/search?q=Newnan+GA+metal+dfetector+club&gws_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=2o3MWvDcJOvVjwSexI64Cg

Really ? Any stricter/different than other states ? What source are you looking at, that leads you to believe that they different or stricter than elsewhere ? And did you mean @ state land? fed land ? county land ? city land ? private land ? or ... ?

Lots of land is National Park or Stat Park owned and restricted. This includes a good number of fresh water beaches. The COE lake parks allow beach hunting but not hunting on the rest of the land. State parks allow no hunting anywhere. Several counties have 'don't damage grounds/plants...' which can be interpreted as no metal detecting, as it is in my county. I've only been busted once, but we're restricted to tot lots or volley ball sand pits.

I believe several counties that are part of Atlanta have no dig rules as well. I know my local town doesn't allow digging on town owned land.

BCD

Exactly! I did find out though that they only update their data once a year, in May, so you still have to verify correct ownership sometimes through the county website. I have had a few parcels I've inquired about have incorrect information due to recent sales. This was from an email from them regarding that issue. Just something to keep in mind. That is also why they have the parcel error reporting function.

Good on ya Dad! Theres about nothing as so wholesome as getting your Family out of doors and involved in this Sport! You will learn and impart many valuable Life skills!...Ask around at Church, take your kids with you on permission requests, use the satellite Earth to find a nearby park or totlot to go to...Your FIL certainly knows some people, have him set up your Family hunts! Get creative and talk to people!

Theres all sorts of people out there waiting to assist a young Family and allow you to you hunt their property...Theres a Nice Family similar to yours...named Zach Byrd up in the Chattanooga area...He has Youtube vids of his Families adventures...I sure hope you stay in it...This is your one shot time to make some memories and teach your kids some important base Foundation that will serve them well...they will never forget your involvement with them as a Father and the wonderful adventures! :goodpost:

Lots of land is National Park or Stat Park owned and restricted. This includes a good number of fresh water beaches. The COE lake parks allow beach hunting but not hunting on the rest of the land. State parks allow no hunting anywhere. Several counties have 'don't damage grounds/plants...' which can be interpreted as no metal detecting, as it is in my county. I've only been busted once, but we're restricted to tot lots or volley ball sand pits.

I believe several counties that are part of Atlanta have no dig rules as well. I know my local town doesn't allow digging on town owned land.

BCD

BCD: Fair enough answer for "National Parks" and "Georgia state parks". Ok.

However, I disagree with the notion that verbiage abut "damage" (and yes, even "digging") automatically forbids us. I see you added "... can be interpreted". Yes. I agree. Sure. Anyone can gripe about anything if they want.

But on the other hand, I do not see such boiler plate obligatory language as automatically precluding us. Nor do I construe it to mean we must ask if it applies. Eg.: asking "Hi. I see you have alter & deface language in the minutia. Does this mean I can't dig ?". Then OF COURSE they're going to say "no". You would simply be the latest victim of "no one cared till you asked" club.

Think of it: If you leave no trace, no damage, etc... If you cover, stomp, and fluff up your spots, then technically, you haven't damagED, defacED, or alterED anything. Now have you ?

And yes: I'd apply those semantics with dig versus dug. The only difference is spelling. Ie.: we don't say "diggED".

If such wording gives someone the willies, then you're right: Every single park in the USA is off-limits. Because I guarantee you that such language exists, i some form or fashion, in every single one. But a quick look at any md'ing forum show & tell section will show you: Tons of md'rs are hunting at public parks. See ?

However, I disagree with the notion that verbiage abut "damage" (and yes, even "digging") automatically forbids us. I see you added "... can be interpreted". Yes. I agree. Sure. Anyone can gripe about anything if they want.

I didn't say that it stopped me. I just said it was there, sometimes enforced, and that I had been busted on it once.

BCD

.... and that I had been busted on it once...

really ? "Busted" on grey-catch-all language pertaining to "damage" or "dig" ??

And when you say "Busted", do you mean a simple "scram" ? Or something like a ticket or whatever ?

If it resulted in a ticket (for instance) ONLY one the basis of such nebulous language, then this is very rare indeed. Typically only for someone who can't take a warning, or ...... ?? I'm not saying it can't happen. Heck, they could "bust" someone for violating the laws that forbid "annoyances" (and say your detector "annoyed" people). Or "harvest and remove" language.

At a certain point, some rare anomalies (over-zealous cops) have to be set aside for what they are: "Flukes". I don't doubt that such flukes occur. But to jump from that, and then assume that such language *of necessity* forbids md'ing (or requires us to seek blessings) is a leap I'm not willing to make.

And yes: I see you say it hasn't "stopped you". So you personally are not saying this universally applies, or should cause md'rs to shudder in their boots, etc....

really ? "Busted" on grey-catch-all language pertaining to "damage" or "dig" ??
And when you say "Busted", do you mean a simple "scram" ? Or something like a ticket or whatever ?

I was told pointedly to not dig. I questioned the lady, nicely, and was shown the regulation and told specifically that the directory for the county parks enforces it for metal detecting. I've even had a side bar conversation with another member here who works for the county and he confirmed same. I've only had the one run in and it was right in front of the main building. I avoid them and haven't heard anything from anyone else. Probably higher ups will stop you. Average lawn/trash guy won't

BCD

Back
Top Bottom