Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Deteknix
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > How to Use Your Metal Detector

Old 10-18-2018, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by BottleCapKing View post
You always need to pinpoint from two directions.

If a coin is lying like this: \ and you sweep in from the right to pinpoint, it will pinpoint to the right of where the actual target is. If you pinpoint from the left, you will get a better location of the target.

If a coin is lying like this: / and you sweep in from the left it will pinpoint to the left of where the actual target is. If you pin point from the right, you will get a better location of the target.

Turning 90 degrees and pinpointing again adds to the accuracy of location.
I do sweep 90' from original position and yet it leaves me with a larger than appreciative zone to pin point at. I've reset my Nox600's firmware update but not yet had a chance to get out with it and see if it's any better. Fingers crossed.

Cheers

Old 10-18-2018, 08:09 AM
Elite Member

Location: Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and Kansas

On the standard coil using the pinpoint button seemed to work most of the time but it might be off a bit here and there.
Doing it twice zeros in on the target better but takes more time as does doing the X thing.
On most DD coils I use the wiggle and pull back method which is pretty accurate and it works pretty well using the larger coil on the Nox although not as precise as other detectors and coils I have used.
With the 6" Nox coil the wiggle and pull back method is very precise and accurate, easy, fast and my preferred way to pinpoint most targets.

Currently hunting with an F70, a Mojave and a borrowed Red Racer.
Plus a Nox 800.

Old 10-18-2018, 11:57 AM
Elite Member

Default Nox 600 Accuracy Pin Pointing?

Originally Posted by BottleCapKing View post
You always need to pinpoint from two directions.

If a coin is lying like this: \ and you sweep in from the right to pinpoint, it will pinpoint to the right of where the actual target is. If you pinpoint from the left, you will get a better location of the target.

If a coin is lying like this: / and you sweep in from the left it will pinpoint to the left of where the actual target is. If you pin point from the right, you will get a better location of the target.

Turning 90 degrees and pinpointing again adds to the accuracy of location.
BottleCapKing…...I love the precise way you described things in your post, however, not being able to see how the coin is laying in the ground prior to digging, (a) how would I know which coil sweep, from right or left, produced a better location of the target and therefore (b) what help would the method in the first two paragraphs give me ?

ToddB64

Teknetics Gamma 6000, Tesoro Bandido II µMax and Compadre, Whites Classic II, Garrett Ace250 and Pro-Pointer AT, Vibra-Probe 570, Cen-Tech Pinpointer, Lesche Digger, Tabdog Digger Replica I made, RatphonesMax Headphones, Janster Coin Probe.

Old 10-18-2018, 01:01 PM
Supporter

I'd like to see a new pinpointing system. Something where the display shows a circle to represent the coil and a smaller red circle to represent the target. You just move the coil until the red target circle is in the center.
Attached Images

Old 10-18-2018, 02:12 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Detector View post
I'd like to see a new pinpointing system. Something where the display shows a circle to represent the coil and a smaller red circle to represent the target. You just move the coil until the red target circle is in the center.
That would be cool. Not sure if its possible with a double D coil but would definitely be awesome.

Old 10-18-2018, 05:58 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by ToddB64 View post
BottleCapKing…...I love the precise way you described things in your post, however, not being able to see how the coin is laying in the ground prior to digging, (a) how would I know which coil sweep, from right or left, produced a better location of the target and therefore (b) what help would the method in the first two paragraphs give me ?

ToddB64

It takes practice to do while the coin is in the ground. I practiced this with a piece of wood with notches cut at 30, 45 and 90 degrees and watched how things pinpointed from various directions and each of the angles. I did this at increasing distances from the coins as well, with different types and sizes of coins.