Legal advise needed

Cherry Picker

Forum Supporter
OK I've got a bit of a dilemma here I'm trying to find the best course of action. If there is one. Personally I think I'm just going to have to take it on the nose and write it up to a screwed up legal system but I thought I see what you think. And police/sheriff officers out there? Lawyers/Judges?

OK so here I am driving my Mustang down a 4 lane (2 north 2 south) and I pull up to the stop light and a nice vette is just beside me. I look over and give him a thumbs up but his windows are too tinted to see anything. I'm on the inside lane and he is on the outside lane. Light changes and we drive on. We get about a block away and I hear his engine come to life and his super charger start to whine and next thing I know I have a Corvette on the front of my pony. I'm like WTH and hit my brakes and stop. He spins on across the lanes clear to the other side where he hits a pickup coming the other direction in the far lane on the other side of the roads.

We get out and I ask him what the H happened? I was at a total loss. He replied with an "I don't know" He then said we needed to get our cars out of the road. I told him shouldn't we leave them where they are until the police get here to see what happened? he again said no we need to get out of the road. I should have known better but I was still kind of lost as to what just happened.

We pull in to a parking lot right next to where the accident happened and called the cops. Several times when I asked what happened, he tried to say that I'm the one who lost control. Of course I'd say no I don't think so look at your car. His car had rubber from my tire on the back 1/4 panel just in front of his rear wheel. I was still in my lane and his car was two lanes away on the other side of the road.

Well the police show up and right off the bat I know I'm in trouble because the office starts talking with Jeff, the driver of the Vette, about what happened the night before. They were obviously acquaintances. Never a good sign. They never even went to look at the tracks on the road where the accident happened. The office asked me what happened and all I could tell her was I have no idea. I was driving along and next thing I knew I had a Vette on the front of my car so I hit my brakes and stopped.

The out come was she told"Jeff" you can go on home. She told me I was going to get a citation. I asked for what and why isn't "Jeff" getting a citation?. She just gave me some dumb !!!! about standard procedure and it was "not an admission of guilt". Although I'm not an idiot I know what it was for. The ticket was for Inattentive Driving. Basically meaning I wasn't paying attention and caused the accident. I didn't argue because I know where that leads.

I go to court on the 4th. I know she issued me the ticket knowing that the judge would consider I was the cause of the accident because I got the citation. I was smart enough to go back the next morning and got lots of pictures showing the car in the far right lane, Jeff, lost control and came in my lane next to it and hit me, then had enough momentum to cross the lanes and hit a pick up coming the other way in the far lane. I'm hoping I'll get an honest judge, but I realize that is pretty much an oxymoron isn't it?

Anyway. My poor DOMINO, the name given to my Shelby, gets repaired on the 2nd but will now always carry the record of having been in an accident. I'm also afraid this guy is going to get off Scott free just because he is a friend of the officer. Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• GT500-1.jpg
    GT500-1.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 433
  • My-_Lane2.jpg
    My-_Lane2.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 434
  • my-lane-pre.jpg
    my-lane-pre.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 437
  • Vett-1.jpg
    Vett-1.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 455
  • Vett-3.jpg
    Vett-3.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 432
  • Vett-2.jpg
    Vett-2.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 444
That's a bummer man, I'm just glad no one was hurt themselves.

I'm pretty sure there are some members on the forum who are police or used to be police, hopefully they'll see your post and can offer advice from their perspective.

First things first is that when the officer asked you what happened and you said you do not know, That is where you got the ticket and will be used against you as this is the statement you gave the officer. The only thing you could and should have said it that the other guy lost control of his car and ran into you after you tried to stop.

I would get a lawyer.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

when the officer asked you what happened and you said you do not know, That is where you got the ticket and will be used against you as this is the statement you gave the officer. The only thing you could and should have said it that the other guy lost control of his car and ran into you after you tried to stop.

When I was asked I had no idea what happened. I didn't know he had lost control and hit me. Sooooo Because I didn't make up some idea of what happened I got a ticket? Is that the way it works? At that point I didn't know what happened so what should I have said?

LOL sorry guy's but I probably need to clarify a bit on a few details that might help.

First off the accident was declared a "No Fault". I pay to fix my car and he pays to fix his. Unfortunately for the third guy he's on his own as well. I think it was declared No Fault because the evidence, in my opinion, clearly shows the Vette came from his far lane in to my lane and hit me. Maybe this Jeff is some prominent city official, I don't know, I just know the obvious was ignored and he went scott free and I got a ticket.

My Question is about my ticket. I have to go to court on the 4th for Inattentive Driving. $158 counting court costs. Point is I'm not guilty and I don't like be used especially by the City/Government. My pictures eaily show a car came from the far right lane and crossed clear to the other side of the street hitting me along the way, but, to get a judge, who may know this Jeff well also, to see the obvious and drop charges. Think it's possible?

In fact my insurance says it clearly shows it was his fault and are going after him to pay to have my car fixed and the third guy's pickup.

Oh, and DbblTap I didn't mean to sound ungrateful for your insight and opinion. I didn't just say I didn't know what happened. When the officer asked what happened I said I didn't know, but I also said I was just driving along and next thing I knew I had a Corvette on the front of my car so I hit my brakes and stopped.

Get in touch with the guy in the truck , the 2 of you should be more than enough evidence against him alone. The guy in the truck will want his truck fixed as well. Have the officer state wether she/ he knows the other guy as friend or aqaintences prior to the accident , might show favoritism in a court. But as I have heard , all cops list accidents as no fault nowadays. These are just my limited experiences and opinions . I've never even spent enough time in jail to be a jail house lawyer , so don't rely on my words as the law . Good luck and let us know how things work out.

LOL sorry guy's but I probably need to clarify a bit on a few details that might help.

First off the accident was declared a "No Fault". I pay to fix my car and he pays to fix his. Unfortunately for the third guy he's on his own as well. I think it was declared No Fault because the evidence, in my opinion, clearly shows the Vette came from his far lane in to my lane and hit me. Maybe this Jeff is some prominent city official, I don't know, I just know the obvious was ignored and he went scott free and I got a ticket.

My Question is about my ticket. I have to go to court on the 4th for Inattentive Driving. $158 counting court costs. Point is I'm not guilty and I don't like be used especially by the City/Government. My pictures eaily show a car came from the far right lane and crossed clear to the other side of the street hitting me along the way, but, to get a judge, who may know this Jeff well also, to see the obvious and drop charges. Think it's possible?

In fact my insurance says it clearly shows it was his fault and are going after him to pay to have my car fixed and the third guy's pickup.

Oh, and DbblTap I didn't mean to sound ungrateful for your insight and opinion. I didn't just say I didn't know what happened. When the officer asked what happened I said I didn't know, but I also said I was just driving along and next thing I knew I had a Corvette on the front of my car so I hit my brakes and stopped.

Well sounds like you only have a couple of Options. ( common sense not legal advice)

1) Pay the ticket and be done with it and move on.
2) fight it in Court and run the risk of having to pay the ticket and (assessments)
3) Continue the case until your Insurance company has made any decisions then If in your favor.. fight it.

I guess you have to decide if it is worth your time or not.

but

Best part of it all .. you are all OK!!

Hum, sounds like I may be better off to take my lumps and plead guilty. It just makes me so mad about my car. It was a 7 year old with only 19,000 miles. Hardly broke in. Flawless collector. Now it will carry the scar on it history for the rest of it's life it will never be worth what it was. Makes me sad!

Hum, sounds like I may be better off to take my lumps and plead guilty. It just makes me so mad about my car. It was a 7 year old with only 19,000 miles. Hardly broke in. Flawless collector. Now it will carry the scar on it history for the rest of it's life it will never be worth what it was. Makes me sad!

THAT is Definitely the SADDEST part of it all !!!

I had an SS Camaro Convertible for many years and people used to try and race me all the time.. Crazy how one guy can put a Stain on your life all to flex his muscles.. Very sorry to hear about it all and good luck what ever you choose

I can see it now. Detector walking up before the judge sayin, "Well, all my buddies on FMDF said ", lol. Good Luck Detector,

Pleading guilty is the last thing I'd do. Especially if your not. Your insurance company could probably tell you what's the best thing for you to do. Stupid chevrolets. :laughing:

Its both your fault..Luckily you weren't cited for racing....Plead guilty, the judge will withhold the points and get on with your life...and dont race you endanger EVERYONE...

Its both your fault..Luckily you weren't cited for racing....Plead guilty, the judge will withhold the points and get on with your life...and dont race you endanger EVERYONE...

Believe me, if we were racing I'd been long gone before he got in my lane. LOL.

On the second street picture you can see the black burnout marks at the very far right center that he left when he floored it. You see nothing on my side do you? You see his burnout marks and then they lead right across in to my lane and the next and the next.

Don't plead guilty, i would be afraid if you did that you would be hit paying the three deductibles or worse. Sorry I can't give advice, but a "no lo" plea is better than guilty in my mind...

Believe me, if we were racing I'd been long gone before he got in my lane. LOL.

On the second street picture you can see the black burnout marks at the very far right center that he left when he floored it. You see nothing on my side do you? You see his burnout marks and then they lead right across in to my lane and the next and the next.

Its not advice you seek...You already know..Go clean up your mess...

My advice.

If you are going to keep driving souped up cars.
Get one of those cameras and install. To protect yourself.

Anytime 2 souped up cars get into collision and they were going the same directions,,you know what that generally spells, to officers and judges?
Hot rodding or racing.

And how do you know how the gent took your gesture you gave him?
Maybe he thought you wanted to race.

Don't be giving gestures to folks in other fast cars or trucks.
Don't even look at them.

Just pay the ticket and be done with it and learn your lesson and take my advice.
You'll be fine.

Last edited:
My advice.

Of you are going to keep driving souped up cars.
Get one of those cameras and install. To protect yourself.

Anytime 2 souped up cars get into collision and they were going the same directions,,you know what that generally spells, to officers and judges?
Hot rodding or racing.

And how do you know how the gent took your gesture you gave him?
Maybe he thought you wanted to race.

Don't be giving gestures to folks in other fast cars or trucks.
Don't even look at them.

Just pay the ticket and be done with it and learn your lesson and take my advice.
You'll be fine.

Around here , there's no mistaking the gestures I give some of these people,,,,:laughing:

Wow...Glad you are Alright!....battle scars on Domino...story to tell, a little excitement, who knows who you will meet or what will happen in the court? Might be an opportunity there to make some money for a guy with your skills? I bet their system could use a look over or update? Especially since ATL just got hacked and ransomware'd last week..:?:

Looking for a win here for you....at least the guy wasnt in a Tesla! That woulda been one massive fireball! Like a transformer blowing up!

I would agree about thinking we were racing but all you need do is look at his lane and mine. His far right starts with a set of black marks where he floored it and then black marks as he lost it and crossed in to my lane. My lane is clean as a whistle. Had I also floored it there would also be black marks in my lane.

The 2011 Z06 has what 505 HP. I did hear the whine of a super charger so maybe 600 HP or so. I wouldn't waste my time on the street.

My gesture was done at the intersection when we were stopped a good block or so before he went off. If we were going to race we probably would have done it at the light where we were side by side at a red light. We both drove off normally and a good block or so further is when the wreck happened. Had we been racing I know I would have at least been close to 100 MPH and would have left far more than some rubber from my tire on his 1/4 and in my lane. I was doing 35 MPH, the speed limit, when he crossed in to my lane.

I do know just because you're not guilty doesn't mean the legal system will see it that way. No matter how obvious the evidence is. Especially if Jeff was a friend of the officers & city.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom