Metal Detector for Rebar in Concrete

bower4311

Hi all,

I'm looking to possibly purchase a metal detector. I work for a road construction company. I'm not looking for location and depth of rebar like some scanners will do. I'm looking to see what I would have to budget for a metal detector to detect bar that is below 4 inches of asphalt and about 3 inches of concrete. I just want to see if the rebar is there, which would tell me if the concrete is there. What budget of a metal detector would be needed for that?

Thank you for any help!

Any machine will do that,I would suggest a tesoro compadre with 5 inch coil.Reason being it has a lifetime warranty,and if used for business that’s awesome..I think they’re about 175 new,or somwhere near that..But I’ve seen them sold used and with a blank warranty card for $120,,you’d still get the lifetime warranty being the card was never filled out and mailed in.

I work for a road construction company..... I just want to see if the rebar is there, which would tell me if the concrete is there. What budget of a metal detector would be needed for that?

My former employer (concrete) used a Ground Penetrating Radar machine and an entry level Garrett ACE 250 to locate rebar. We found the ACE would work when the bars are spaced 12" or more from one another. However, if the bars are in a grid (horizontal and vertical) or closely stacked together, say 4-6" apart, you will likely have a hard time pinpointing the location of the bar and need to use the GPR.

Back
Top Bottom