Night hunting advice.

You guys have a cake walks where you hunt. We got the gangbangers smoking and drinking wanting to see what's in your bag. And it's never just 1 that rolls up on you.Then the endless army of zombies ( tweakers) . They throw rocks at you when in the water just to get your attention. Many live under the piers , up in the boulders and tents. Some half bury themselves in the sand for whatever reason and just pop up out of the ground. That's probably the scariest , very unpredictable. My head is on a swivel and seldom do I turn on my headlamp. Except to blind them when they are 3' away. And you guys are worried about little fishys.....

You guys have a cake walks where you hunt. We got the gangbangers smoking and drinking wanting to see what's in your bag. And it's never just 1 that rolls up on you.Then the endless army of zombies ( tweakers) . They throw rocks at you when in the water just to get your attention. Many live under the piers , up in the boulders and tents. Some half bury themselves in the sand for whatever reason and just pop up out of the ground. That's probably the scariest , very unpredictable. My head is on a swivel and seldom do I turn on my headlamp. Except to blind them when they are 3' away. And you guys are worried about little fishys.....

Man don't they have police there? I know OC MD had a few crazies so they passed a law a few years ago..... No one is allowed on the beach's after 1 am..they catch you go to jail. Even guys wanting to metal detect. 5am your allowed back out...
Sorry you have to put up with all of the hoopla...I would carry a flare gun if it were me. No laws against that..

Wait till a shark swims between your legs.
It's a rush.

Or a family of manatees slowly silently swims by you. They just want to be friendly.

You florida boys have all kind of wild life. That is one place for sure I would not be hunting at night. I was setting on shore waiting for a friend a few years ago in OC MD where the Ocean is...I see this fin trolling up and down the shore at dusk....people swimming splashing just a few feet away.

No way I would hunt the bay after dark , 9 to 3 pm done , when the tides don't work for you hunt shallow to the high tide line , I remember a couple years ago they caught Bull Sharks in the Severn , all I'm saying why take risks when your gonna break 100 gold requardless of how many days you hunt, your ahead of everyone at 12 gold Joe , be safe buddy , your not a spring chicken anymore . Besides I am sure that finding one more gold is no big deal to you anymore , and you need to be around to take care of mom , instead of shark bait , happy day light hunting, Earl

I'll be fine buddy, I think I am going Monday AM...be there at 6am...gets light around 7...You can't let gold rest when you have a good spot, it can change in one tide. I have a little area in closer to shore about 5 foot deep, I saved it last trip out and hunted deep since the water was so low...

Man, the Ocean/Gulf is a scary place to hunt during the day and you add darkness and bull sharks, Oh My! Personally, I would not go deeper than 1 ft in the water in the dark...I get out early morning and hunt the wet sand until daybreak, then I go in slowly...last year saw something I can't explain - a thing about 8ft long w/o a dorsal fin surfaced 30 ft from me and I just caught a glimpse...thought it might have been a large seal...but there are no seals in the Gulf, or so they say...we're not talking inland fresh water lakes here...there is Sh** out there that will eat you.

Man don't they have police there? I know OC MD had a few crazies so they passed a law a few years ago..... No one is allowed on the beach's after 1 am..they catch you go to jail. Even guys wanting to metal detect. 5am your allowed back out...
Sorry you have to put up with all of the hoopla...I would carry a flare gun if it were me. No laws against that..

Most beaches here close at 10 pm , some at midnight . Police and park patrols do their minimum unless there is trouble. The hot summer homeless population jumps 5 fold on the beaches. Homelessness is a big issue here in California. It's the smaller out of the way beaches where I like to be a Nightstalker when I occasionally have to defend myself. I think there is a news reel clip from a few years ago of an older detectorist on the beach being attacked and beaten with his own scoop down in San Diego way. Should be on YouTube.

Tweakers hiding under the sand.. hilarious.. pirates used to bury themselves under the sand while sleeping to get away from sand flies etc

A follow up on the Night hunt. I got to the beach a half hour before sun rise and headed out...The Crack of dawn. Was able to hunt 2 and half hours before the tide and winds started coming in hard. Found gold and booked, was able to catch breakfast at Mc D's before I got home. A Good Morning. 1 gold honker and 2 silver quarters. Mission accomplished.

Attachments

• 21 sky.jpg
    21 sky.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 117
  • 21cc.jpg
    21cc.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 120
  • 21ddd.jpg
    21ddd.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 121
  • 21w.jpg
    21w.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 120
Most beaches here close at 10 pm , some at midnight . Police and park patrols do their minimum unless there is trouble. ....

That's been my experience. The supposed "open" and "close" times are next-to-meaningless. They're just there so that they can shoo away people who think they're going to camp out there. Or to break up teens having a keg party, or whatever. Also often time the hours on-the-sign at the parking lot, which is actually meaning the parking-lot hours (for when the gates close to the parking lot). And doesn't necessarily mean you can't park further away and walk in.

I hunt beaches all the time in the dark, and have never had anyone cite any-such "closed" or "open" hours stuff. There's simply no one there anyhow (except perhaps some late night lovey-dovey couples taking walks).

Short day light hours and tides being super low after dark or early morning dark,......... how many here hunt these conditions. I remember Frank telling me about hunting a spot in the dark and almost stepping into a drop off. I know the beach I'll be hunting very well, temps will be chilly ((30F)), water temp is 42F which is not a issue for I was out in the same conditions the other day for 5 hours and warm. I have a good head lamp,... water resistant. I will be hunting "In the water", about chest deep. I think I'm fairly well prepared but anyone have stories or see a something I need to be aware of...........Late Sunday evening winds will be off shore, but do change early Monday AM, so more then likely Sunday evening will be the best opp... Low is around 8pm, figured stay till 8 then Hightail it.... or just stay home and get fat.

And it gets dark here around 5:15pm..

Steve I know you hunt similar conditions, any thoughts? One good thing here, no competition to get in the way.

Thanks in Advance Joe

Hunting at night is hazardous anywhere. I nearly fell in a well, now I try and only hunt places I have been to and know well at night. I have Also been hunted by coywolves. I have been considering some night vision or thermal monocular but its so damn expensive. Ideally if i had one therm and one close range focused night vision, i could flip em up and down on a headmount as i need them. Thermal would help with the critters and two legged monsters. Nightvision for the digging and swinging.

Kob,
Sounds like maybe you should move?

OBN,
if the bottom is flat and the sea is calm, you can safely hunt at night to a depth of 2 inches above the navel ...
1) a good flashlight with moonlight function (e.g. Nitecore HC30)
2)bigsized floating basket (specially for night hunts)
3) marker buoys with fishing catalytic fireflies. (3 pieces), write to me in the mail, I will tell you why and how ...
4) a mobile phone protected from water (for example, Samsung B2100) just in case of emergency.
5) navigation! smartphone or navigator, if you have a desire to return there many times at night ...
6) I always have a knife with me ... like a real pirate :)
7) if the hunt is more than 2 hours in cold weather then take an energy bar with you ...

Ruslan.

Kob,
Sounds like maybe you should move?

Nah... for someone out of state , not familiar with the surroundings , you could be an easy mark. For me , I've only had 1 very serious issue years ago. None since. What I can't handle is humidity. That's why I cashed out my Florida home.

OBN,
if the bottom is flat and the sea is calm, you can safely hunt at night to a depth of 2 inches above the navel ...
1) a good flashlight with moonlight function (e.g. Nitecore HC30)
2)bigsized floating basket (specially for night hunts)
3) marker buoys with fishing catalytic fireflies. (3 pieces), write to me in the mail, I will tell you why and how ...
4) a mobile phone protected from water (for example, Samsung B2100) just in case of emergency.
5) navigation! smartphone or navigator, if you have a desire to return there many times at night ...
6) I always have a knife with me ... like a real pirate :)
7) if the hunt is more than 2 hours in cold weather then take an energy bar with you ...

Ruslan.

Good luck on the Cold, Wet Dark hunt OBN. Just be safe

Thanks Guys, There won't be many of these hunts the next month or so. Days are short and every thing has to come into play to get the best results.

That is why you pack some heat when hunting unsavory spots... maybe you aren't allowed out there.. get some bear spray that will take care of them... will spray out to 30 feet...

True story... a number of years ago a friend of mine had a friend working a trough at dusk at a beach that bangers called home... the guy saw flashes onshore then heard the bullets skipping near him in the water... these days that beach has a police presence all the time now.. he was not hit but he got out of there fast as he could.

That is why you pack some heat when hunting unsavory spots... maybe you aren't allowed out there.. get some bear spray that will take care of them... will spray out to 30 feet...

True story... a number of years ago a friend of mine had a friend working a trough at dusk at a beach that bangers called home... the guy saw flashes onshore then heard the bullets skipping near him in the water... these days that beach has a police presence all the time now.. he was not hit but he got out of there fast as he could.

Packing heat ! Only way to do that legally here in So.Cal is to have a CCW. Many carry , and risk it. THE KOB would never break any laws !

Short day light hours and tides being super low after dark or early morning dark,......... how many here hunt these conditions. I remember Frank telling me about hunting a spot in the dark and almost stepping into a drop off. I know the beach I'll be hunting very well, temps will be chilly ((30F)), water temp is 42F which is not a issue for I was out in the same conditions the other day for 5 hours and warm. I have a good head lamp,... water resistant. I will be hunting "In the water", about chest deep. I think I'm fairly well prepared but anyone have stories or see a something I need to be aware of...........Late Sunday evening winds will be off shore, but do change early Monday AM, so more then likely Sunday evening will be the best opp... Low is around 8pm, figured stay till 8 then Hightail it.... or just stay home and get fat.

And it gets dark here around 5:15pm..

Steve I know you hunt similar conditions, any thoughts? One good thing here, no competition to get in the way.

Thanks in Advance Joe

Wow, you have a good memory Joe.

That was without doubt the scariest experience I had in my metal detecting days. Had I taken that step I don't know if I would have made it back out,
it was definitely over my head . Also, when just trying to take my leg out, the soft sand just kept collapsing into the deep, dark hole.

I have to admit, I was visibly shaken by the experience and never will forget it.

You florida boys have all kind of wild life. That is one place for sure I would not be hunting at night. I was setting on shore waiting for a friend a few years ago in OC MD where the Ocean is...I see this fin trolling up and down the shore at dusk....people swimming splashing just a few feet away.

Me and another friend were taking a break from water hunting. Kapi was out deep, and a huge Hammerhead was behind her busting fish at the surface. We thought about hollering, but she would have never heard us anyway:lol: Oddly she is afraid of Alligators, but not Sharks:shock:

Back
Top Bottom