Traveling overseas with Detector (Worried)

mrdude

Hello; just joined the forum
My apologies for I know I'm posting something already addressed, but from what I've read no members mentioned taking their detector to Europe or across the Atlantic in general (just inside US, bahamas, Puerto Rico etc) and wanted to know if different advice applies.
I'm traveling overseas this summer to Eastern Europe to visit family and want to take my Tesoro Vaquero with me. I'm really concerned about having it confiscated by baggage checkers, especially in the Eastern block, just because "they can" even though it's not strictly mentioned as prohibited according to the airline. Should I be worried? Lufthansa (what i'll be flying) mentions that strongly magnetic materials are prohibited in their list of prohibited items; would my detector qualify? Any other tips as to where/how to pack it?
Thank you so much, and its nice meeting all of you

Welcome to the forum. If it was me I would check with the airline and maybe the countrys consul before even thinking of taking my MD overseas. Weird times we live in

Any chance you could mail/ship it to your family beforehand?

If I was going to take a detector, I would take one that was cheap. Don't take your best detector.

That is an excellent link Lowjiber. Thank you for that information. However, I have to agree with SpeedsterX. You get more bang for your buck in Eastern Europe, so I would imagine that you could get a metal detecter fairly cheapley over there and not have to hassle with lugging one around with all of your other baggage on the trip. If you know someone over there, have them come shopping for a metal detector with you. Otherwise, you might get the "Americans Discount" if you know what I mean.$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$;)
Best of luck to ya!

Back
Top Bottom