Kellyco Predator 1 from Garrett

tommyb

I was just curious...no one else seems to have this detector...is it a horrible detector? I have had mine for two years and feel like i have great success when I hunt. The only problem I have is that the pinpointing is a little bit tough. I was just wondering what makes the ace 250 so much better other than the target identification. Note, I would have gotten teh ace 250, but my parents bought a detector before talking to me.

If you are having great success with your detector, why question whether it is better or worse? The main thing is, that you have learned to use the detector you have. The more practice and experience... the better. :D

Maybe you would like to write a review on the Predator? I'm sure members would be pleased, especially if they are thinking of buying this detector. :yes:

Ive seen it but never really heard anything about it. maybe since you've used for awhile now you'd be willing to do a write up on it? Id like to hear how it preforms.

Having seen a few of your finds, I think you're doing just fine with the detector. Like RH above, I'd like your review when you get time.

The Predator 1 is a machine Garrett made for us here at Kellyco. It's an older model that's not being made any more, but it is a good starter machine. The Ace 250 is "better" because it's newer updated technology, not because the Predator 1 is bad :)

I agree with the other forum members, if you're doing really well with it, don't question it! A review would be good too, I'd like to hear from someone who uses it on a regular basis.
If you have any questions about the Predator 1, feel free to ask. If I don't know the answer, I know who to ask!

Ms. Blaze

Well, I think that the Predator 1 is by far the most simple machine a detector could ask for. All you need to do is turn on the detector to whatever discrimination you chose and run over the dirt. After a little practice, a detectorist can easily discern the difference between good and bad signals. The two concerns I have always had with the detector are:
1. What kind of depth am I getting?
2. Why won't this thing pinpoint accurately?

I know that this detector is not by any means "a great detector." However, I personally have tried out the ace 250 and find it much more difficult to use ( I guess I never really became familiar with it though). When I detect with kstichfarms (ace 250) it seems that he often is fooled by what his detecting screen says. On the other hand, my detector seems to discriminate fairly well. If a person planned to detect in "nice grass" a lot, I would definitely not recommend this detector. Not only can it not tell you what type of coin you have, it also has a very difficult time pinpointing some items.

Unlike other detectorists, I usually only hit woods, fields, abandoned houses, and wood chips. For these areas, the detector is ideal. If you discriminate "junk" and you get a beep that is consistently picked up from left to right and up and down: dig it. Overall, I would say that I really like my detector and would not trade it for a 250. However, I am not an expert and have never used "high end" detectors. Just my two cents on the Predator 1.

A quick question: Is the pinpointing on this detector in the center of the coil? I have always used that as my reference point, but have never been sure. Thanks, Tom

Hey Tom.
I got a bit confused at first, because the Predator 1 doesn't have a screen so when you asked about pinpointing... I got a little lost.
Then I read the owners manual!
Directly from the manual:
"Pinpoint targets by drawing an imaginary X on the ground with the search coil at the place where maximum sound occurs. You'll notice that you cannot maintain the detection sound with the search coil held completely still above your target. The search coil must be moving slightly for you to detect the exact location of your target."
So it's the coil as a whole that's doing the work, there's no pinpointing spot on the coil or setting on the unit.

Hope this helps :)
Ms. Blaze

Hi,Tom.

I use the Predator 2.I like it alot, no bells or whistles,but a nice machine for it's price. The coils that I use standard stock 8" and the crossfire 2 sniper.Also would like to purchase a 10" x 14" dd coil. Blackhole P.S. Good hunting!!!!

Back
Top Bottom