• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Ace 400 vs AT Pro vs Equinox 600

Trekker519

Hi,

Garrett Ace 400 vs Garrett AT Pro vs Minelab Equinox 600

these seem to be the three detectors that are the most highly regarded in the general price point I would like to spend, however the minelab is a bit more expensive than I want to spend.

I have no experience detecting. The main purpose for initially buying will be detecting for relics (possibly something that is steel and quite deep). I am not sure what the soil is like where I want to do this first big hunt hunt. (after much practice I am sure). From what i know there likely will not be much "junk" at the site. After that I will try general detecting in the areas everyone does but probably not as many beaches.

Is the Ace 400 good enough for this? What would the advantage of the AT pro or equinox be over the 400 for a relic hunt, probably deep, with unknown soil.

i can provide more details if required to help people give me their opinion. I want to spend as little as possible at the same time be fairly confident that if i went over the same area with the more expensive detector on this list i likely would not find things missed.

Hi,

these seem to be the three detectors that are the most highly regarded in the general price point I would like to spend, however the minelab is a bit more expensive than I want to spend.

I have no experience detecting. The main purpose for initially buying will be detecting for relics (possibly something that is steel and quite deep). I am not sure what the soil is like where I want to do this first big hunt hunt. (after much practice I am sure). From what i know there likely will not be much "junk" at the site. After that I will try general detecting in the areas everyone does but probably not as many beaches.

Is the Ace 400 good enough for this? What would the advantage of the AT pro or equinox be over the 400 for a relic hunt, probably deep, with unknown soil.

i can provide more details if required to help people give me their opinion. I want to spend as little as possible at the same time be fairly confident that if i went over the same area with the more expensive detector on this list i likely would not find things missed.

You can spend years hunting the same spot and still find things you missed. No machine is perfect, but out of your 3 choices, I would go with the AT pro, for MANY reasons. Good luck and happy hunting!

You can spend years hunting the same spot and still find things you missed. No machine is perfect, but out of your 3 choices, I would go with the AT pro, for MANY reasons. Good luck and happy hunting!

thank you. can you confirm some of the reasons for your choice of AT pro as the best on this list for someone who wants to spend as little as possible yet do well? Why not the 400 and why not the equinox

Welcome from Dodge City.

All good but I'd go either Equinox 600 or AT Pro. Personally I'd go AT Pro especially since you're new to detecting.

thank you. can you confirm some of the reasons for your choice of AT pro as the best on this list for someone who wants to spend as little as possible yet do well? Why not the 400 and why not the equinox

There is no "best" detector, each has its strengths. The AT pro is the most versatile machine in its price range IMO. You get waterproof capabilities, accessories are way cheaper than Minelab, and its really fun to use. The equinox is the better of the 3 you listed probably, but also that's why it costs more...

Welcome from Dodge City.

All good but I'd go either Equinox 600 or AT Pro. Personally I'd go AT Pro especially since you're new to detecting.

thanks, i am in canada and the AT pro is $725 vs $811 for he equinox 600. So based on being new to detecting you would say the ease of use of the garrett and the slight savings trumps the more advance features of the equinox 600 in my case?

There is no "best" detector, each has its strengths. The AT pro is the most versatile machine in its price range IMO. You get waterproof capabilities, accessories are way cheaper than Minelab, and its really fun to use. The equinox is the better of the 3 you listed probably, but also that's why it costs more...

as far as raw depth for relics that are most likely steel, what would your comment be on simple depth comparison for these three detectors? (simply beeping if there is any metal, no other features taken into consideration) for the ace 400 vs AT Pro the equinox. Would the ace 400 have the same simply depth detection?

as far as raw depth for relics that are most likely steel, what would your comment be on simple depth comparison for these three detectors? (simply beeping if there is any metal, no other features taken into consideration) for the ace 400 vs AT Pro the equinox. Would the ace 400 have the same simply depth detection?

No,the ace wouldn't be as deep as the at pro.Many aftermarket coils, headphones and such for at pro that are pretty cheap compared to equinox.
I would say the at pro is your best bet out if the 3 for your situation

The ACE 400 does not have ground balance where the other two do. so not having the ground balance will limit the areas you hunt to sweet soil.

Video comparing Garrett ace 400 and At Pro.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EkjR_BNvW4I
This is the best video I have ever watched as far as comparing metal detectors.
And folks here obviously know why.
Kudos to the younger here.
Realize At Pro should/could be ground balanced- might help performance in video.

Last edited:
thanks, i am in canada and the AT pro is $725 vs $811 for he equinox 600. So based on being new to detecting you would say the ease of use of the garrett and the slight savings trumps the more advance features of the equinox 600 in my case?

I've heard reports that the Equinox is not popular in Canada due to the steel coinage which the Equinox does not see in it's discriminate modes. Don't rush to get one before you try it out in your environment to make sure it does what you want it to. Garrett is possibly a better choice for hunting in Canada.

I live in Michigan and routinely find a small pile of Canadian coins each year, mostly cents, but usually a few dimes and quarters. This year, with the NOX, I only found cents: 51 of them, and one nickel. No larger Canadian coins.

I've heard reports that the Equinox is not popular in Canada due to the steel coinage which the Equinox does not see in it's discriminate modes. Don't rush to get one before you try it out in your environment to make sure it does what you want it to. Garrett is possibly a better choice for hunting in Canada.

I live in Michigan and routinely find a small pile of Canadian coins each year, mostly cents, but usually a few dimes and quarters. This year, with the NOX, I only found cents: 51 of them, and one nickel. No larger Canadian coins.

thank you for noting this and the information

No,the ace wouldn't be as deep as the at pro.Many aftermarket coils, headphones and such for at pro that are pretty cheap compared to equinox.
I would say the at pro is your best bet out if the 3 for your situation

thanks, using the same question for simple depth, do you think the Pro is as deep as equinox 600? with the stock coils.

I’m pretty sure John edmundson is from Canada,and he uses the at pro

Trekker519 said:
Hi,

Interesting 3 model choice. I think you could do more research and tell us what your allowable price range is, and what functions or features you think you need.

Trekker519 said:
I have no experience detecting. The main purpose for initially buying will be detecting for relics (possibly something that is steel and quite deep).
Obvious no experience. What, specifically, is the type of 'relic' you are in search of, what size do you think it is, and how 'deep' do you imagine it to be?

Trekker519 said:
I am not sure what the soil is like where I want to do this first big hunt hunt. (after much practice I am sure). From what i know there likely will not be much "junk" at the site. After that I will try general detecting in the areas everyone does but probably not as many beaches.
By "general detecting" are you referring to Coin Hunting or Relic Hunting or Gold Nugget Hunting or ???

Trekker519 said:
NO, the Ace 400 should be scratched from your list.

The AT Pro, while not a favorite of mine, would be the one out of the three you selected that would provide you with more adjustment functions and much better audio and in-the-field performance than the Ace 400. One function it lacks is a true Threshold-based All Metal mode.

Trekker519 said:
More details would be helpful.

If you think you can purchase a modestly-priced detector .... or a more expensive top-of-the-line detector .... and spend "... as little as possible at the same time be fairly confident that if i went over the same area with the more expensive detector on this list i likely would not find things missed ..." then you are going to be saddened when I, or any savvy detectorist, will tell you ... IT ISN'T GOING TO HAPPEN!

There are many sites out there that have been searched, frequently, by many, many, many people for the past 50+ years, and I can go out there and find stuff. Anyone could go out and find stuff. Unless you used a true All Metal mode, and worked a dedicated area very slowly and methodically, and removed every piece of metal, both ferrous and non-ferrous, by sweeping left-to-right and right-to-left then left-to-right again ... and then advance the search coil only 1" and no farther, and repeat the left-to-right, right-to-left and left-to-right sweep it again ... and then advance the coil only 1" and no more ... and do that in at least two directions, such as East-to West and then North-to-South ---- twice so that the second total area of coverage was done using a different size search coil --- then you won't come close to your expectations.

Then, once very tired and sore from a lot of target recoveries and spending hours and days to accomplish that over a smaller-size dedicated area ... call me or one of many people I could refer to you and one of us will go in and find something you missed.

I still suggest considering other detectors. Plus, you referred to buying a brand new unit. I would also encourage you to consider a quality-built, high-performance used detector, too.

I've also heard unfavorable comments about the performance of the Minelab Equinox on modern Canadian coins. I have six friends, very experienced, who bought the Equinox 800 and one of them the 600. Only ONE of them still owns an Equinox, and they live here in the USA where we don't use junk-metal coins.

It's 2019 now and I'll start my 55th years of very avid metal detecting in just two months. I have owned hundreds of detectors and used many more in evaluating detectors at every chance so that I can be comfortable and confident in the units I keep in my Regular-Use Detector Outfit. I have 9 different models from 5 manufacturers, and duplicate of 4 models which leaves me with a total of 13 individual detectors in my current Outfit. I Relic Hunt and Coin & Jewelry Hunt ... often.

I do not have any of the models you picked but have owned one of them, did a field test on another, and hunted side-by-side with an experienced EQ-800 user. I use a very proven performance Tesoro that lacks Tone ID or a visual display.

My more trusted models with Target ID include some excellent Relic Hunting devices for dense iron contaminated sites with my Nokta FORS CoRe and FORS Relic units, a versatile White's MX-7, and some models that can work fine in average Relic Hunting places with sparse nail and other ferrous content, but are very good Coin & Jewelry devices with a Fisher F44, Teknetics Omega 8000 and modified White's Classic ID.

My one stand-alone detector that can handle all applications and do so quite handily with ample adjustment features yet it is simple-to-use, and that is the Nokta-Makro Anfibio Multi.

I would suggest you consider a new or 'as-new' condition Nokta FORS Relic or FORS CoRe, or a White's MX-7, or a Makro Racer 2, or a Fisher F44. Even a discontinued Teknetics Omega 8000 which worked well for me as long as nails are more scattered and not too close to cause good-target masking.

This year I have purchased a brand new F44, a practically new FORS Relic, and two gently used Teknetics Omega 8000's, and each of them cost me the same or less than a new Ace 400 ... and they provide me with far better all-purpose performance.

By the way, 'Depth' is often misunderstood and not as important and many think it might be. Oh, and you will need to get one or possibly two additional search coils for best all-purpose performance.

Monte

I can comment on the Ace 400 versus ATP. I started with the Ace, but quickly moved to the ATP. The Ace is fine, but the audio on the ATP is a million times better. You can get a much better feel for the type of metal and depth with the ATP. it doesn't cost a whole lot more, so if you narrow it down to those two, I would highly recommend the ATP. Plus the ATP is water proof (nice feature for me) and the Ace is not.
The NOX may very well be better than the ATP, but I have never used one.

I can comment on the Ace 400 versus ATP. I started with the Ace, but quickly moved to the ATP. The Ace is fine, but the audio on the ATP is a million times better. You can get a much better feel for the type of metal and depth with the ATP. it doesn't cost a whole lot more, so if you narrow it down to those two, I would highly recommend the ATP. Plus the ATP is water proof (nice feature for me) and the Ace is not.
The NOX may very well be better than the ATP, but I have never used one.

thanks for saying this. for Canadian pricing the ace 400 is $444 and the AT pro is $725 so a difference of $280 or so. The Equinox is only $85 or so more than the AT pro. So now i need to know where to draw the line. It seems like the consensus is the AT pro is worth paying the extra over the 400 but i wonder if the extra $85 is worth getting the equinox over the at pro. I don't see myself getting into accessories or gold coils, etc so i dont think cost for them is to be taken into account for me.

I guess as with all my hobbies, scuba diving, watches, knives, etc...you just get what you pay for and just have to spend your budget.

Honestly, if your new to the hobby and not sure if it's something you'll stick with then the Ace 400 is not a bad option. You can always upgrade to a better machine later.
There are a lot of good detectors in the AT PRO price range like the Fisher F75 or the Whites MX7 or the Teknetics T2 SE to name a few. Do your research and watch videos on the various detectors so you understand the differences in the machines before you buy.

Back
Top Bottom