• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

♥ Loving my DD coil! ♥

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
Got an F2 for a backup and vacation detector, but I decided to try to get real good with the Vaquero this year so I have been concentrating on using that on most on my recent hunts.

RelicHunterNGA, (Justin), a fellow Vaq owner, sent me an PM in Feb out of the blue and offered me a good deal on his 12x10 DD coil because relic hunting with this coil in the woods was just not working out for him.
I guess he noticed a post or two of mine where I mentioned I usually hit parks and other areas with some wide open spaces.
Very thoughtful of him...another reason I like this place.
I was going to get a coil like this eventually, but his offer pushed me to purchase one a little earlier than planned.

I have been practicing with the new setup for about a month now, and I can honestly say I wish I would have done this way sooner, because I am rapidly growing to love this thing!

Last year, most of my hunting has been in newer areas and I dug up many coins, clad mostly but a few silver dimes, too, some gold and silver rings and a whole bunch of other cool stuff.

This year, I want to start finding the older coins like I see posted here all the time.
Early 1900's, 1800's, something with those dates will be my goal for this year, and the key to that is getting good with my tools, but also doing the research to locate start hitting older sites.
Once I find those sites, I want to go as deep as possible, and in my area of the country the DD coil might just help me do that.

From my research, I found the DD coil is not really deeper than the concentric, a little less depth was actually mentioned in a few posts, but it handles mineralization better and I have that around here in spades.
Given those factors, using a deep seeker like a Vaquero with the large DD, manual ground balance, and learning to run my set up supertuned and playing around with Monte's tips on power balancing, I think I have a chance to actually find what I am seeking this year.

From the few hours I have put in with this coil, I do believe it is going a little deeper.
I don't come across too many deep objects, (except cans and junk!), but the few coins in the deeper realms did seem to come in a little louder, a little clearer.
Coins really bang in my headphones now, even a little more than with the round coil, I think.
Might be my imagination, but I really believe this is so.

I also read this coil is a little different when it comes to discrimination, and a few owners with similar setups mentioned that bottle caps will now sound pretty good with a DD and the tricks we use like the Tesoro Shake to determine if they are good targets does not work as well.

I went to an old park last week with tons of trash for about 4 hours..
Something tells me this little nugget of information seems to be true.

[I
trashhhhh.jpg

I am a dig it all kind of guy anyway, as you can see, but those bottle caps sure sounded like nice quarter signals and they did not break up or sound 'different" when whipping the coil over them like most of them would do with a concentric.

Pinpointing was all over the place, at first, because the field is so long, and I was having some problems.
After watching some videos and reading other users posts, I got the hang of pinpointing off the front of the coil and I am much better at it now.

The best thing about this coil that I love is that the field is so long down the center of the coil, vs the small center on a concentric.

You sure can't miss much with this thing!

Yesterday, I went next door to my local park to practice some more and turned up the disc to mostly shoot for coins.

I hit an area that I have scanned several times before with my round coil on the Vaq and also with my F2.

I found this within about 1 1/2 hours.

chang.jpg

For those of you that don't use a tight overlap with your concentric coils, look closely.
I thought I did this area right several times and got all the coins
Taught me something!
Another reason you can't consider anyplace "hunted out".

To me, using this DD to find and hit targets vs. the round is kind of like bowling.
What if you moved the pins 50% closer...it would be much easier to hit that pocket.
This coil is probably going to be my main one from now on, and I can see why a lot of the new detectors come equipt with this kind from the factory.

As far as discrimination, except for confusing me with that bottlecap thing, seems to be fine.
Not much difference between this and the regular coil as far as where they break up.

As a matter of fact, on the same hunt when I found that clad in the picture, I dug a pretty deep, (about 5"), dime and in the 3 inch wide hole with it was a nice rusty nail.
Might have been laying on top of the dime for all I know, it was definitely laying above it because I got that out first and knew something else was in that hole because of the high tone signal.
It might have sounded a little scratchy a bit because of that nail, but the signal was a good one and I dug it and was rewarded.

Target separation seems to be excellent, also, the long field is great for scanning large areas, but it is pretty thin and I have been able to snake my way though some trash and find some good targets.
I am sure I can get better at this with some more practice.

All of this leads up to a hunt I have been planning on for awhile.
1850's school site, a temporary civil war campsite was rumored to be on this site too.

I need a machine that will be able to go deep, find that old silver and whatever else is buried, and, if I get tired of digging too much foil and can-slaw, be able to weave through the 150 years of trash that I will also have to contend with to find something good.

Tomorrows the day...can't wait!
RyanChappell,(Michael), is going with me with his Xterra.
Hopefully I will have a few pics of some nice stuff when we are through.

HH

Back
Top Bottom