My first significant find as a detecorist... 2 IHCs

Straylight

Two very crusty IHCs. Is there anything I can do to bring out more detail?

One 1904, one 1906.

Attachments

• IMG_20190112_164149.jpg
    IMG_20190112_164149.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 253
  • MVIMG_20190112_150754.jpg
    MVIMG_20190112_150754.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 253
Nice pair of coins!

Before you clean them check if either of the dates are key-dates using a coin value guide such as coinstudy.com (I wouldn't know if they're key-dates). You could try a toothpick on them or even Andre's pencils. I've used toothpicks on Aussie copper pennies and they turn out good :)

Nice saves. Actually they look to be in nice shape. They have a beautiful green patina that most find very desirable. First don't put any water on them. Try a nylon bristle brush(lightly) first. Or a toothpick with an ereasing motion to remove the dirt. Remember sometimes a little dirt in the low lying areas high light the details. Good luck Mark.

Is there anything I can do to bring out more detail?

Before you clean them check if either of the dates are key-dates using a coin value guide such as coinstudy.com (I wouldn't know if they're key-dates). You could try a toothpick on them or even Andre's pencils

First don't put any water on them. Try a nylon bristle brush(lightly) first. Or a toothpick with an ereasing motion to remove the dirt. Remember sometimes a little dirt in the low lying areas high light the details. Good luck Mark.

Really nice finds, Straylight! I really like Indian Head cents - just a great design in my opinion, plus you gotta love that green patina. I took a look in my Red Book to make sure, and neither is a “key” date - but still awesome coins that scream out that they’re from a different era!

I agree with both sandgroper and Mark as far as cleaning them. It’s typically a very good idea to avoid using water with old copper coins. When I first started, I used water and a toothbrush, and it actually cleans them too well, in my opinion. Like Mark said, a little dirt in the low lying areas helps raise some of the detail that otherwise gets lost in the patina. I typically use a combination of toothpicks and wooden meat skewers to do the majority of my copper cleaning - the wood is softer than the copper, so it’s much less likely to scratch or damage the coin. Depending on the situation, I sometimes escalate the cleaning by using Andre’s pencils and/or superfine (0000) steel wool.

I give a little more detail on the process I use in this thread (see post #10): Shallow Curb Indian

Also, here’s a great video by well known detectorist Aquachigger that not only shows how to clean using toothpicks, but also demonstrates how progressively aggressive cleaning methods (including water) can improve or ruin copper coins:

Thanks for the advice, everyone. Unfortunately, the first thing I did was put water on it. Is that what made it kind of crumbly around the edges? I should have done my homework first.

Is it okay to put water on silver coins?

AirmetTango said:
but still awesome coins that scream out that they’re from a different era!

They sure do, and that's the first time I've felt that. If I wasn't hooked before, I definitely am now.

Well congratulations on the Indians.
My son soaks the worst ones in olive oil .
Let me mention he has a lot more patience than I do .

Every couple weeks he will take them out and work on them with a toothpick.

They are pretty crusty to start and I am long ready to take them in the shop and take them to the wire wheel grinder.
He takes them out of the oil and works on them when he is in the mood .
Six months later they look incredible!

Just one little chunk at a time softened up and worked off.
Great saves
,Dew

Thanks for the informative video. I have not found any coins good enough to ruin since I started this hobby up again so when I do maybe you saved me from killing some coins. Thanks again.

Also, here’s a great video by well known detectorist Aquachigger that not only shows how to clean using toothpicks, but also demonstrates how progressively aggressive cleaning methods (including water) can improve or ruin copper coins:

Great finds, congrats. And the video is awesome...I wish I would have watched it before "cleaning" up an 1825 large cent, pretty much ruined it in my opinion. From now on, toothpicks and "face oil" ONLY for me!

Back
Top Bottom