I knew the hole was deep, but not that deep!

ToySoldier

Forum Supporter
First foreign coin. Chinese Qing-dynasty coin. Likely between late 1800s (due to location) and 1911 (when China stopped making these coins). Although, could be much earlier as this style of coin was made as early as the 1600s. Unfortunately, the characters hardest to read (top and bottom) are also the two that would date it. Found in the tiny backyard of an 1890s house.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qing_dynasty_coinage

After a bit more research and comparison I'm pretty sure it dates to 1875-1909. Fave value of 1 wén. Essentially their version of a one-cent piece.

Attachments

• coin1.jpg
    coin1.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 184
  • coin2.jpg
    coin2.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Do you think the Chinese have a hole in the coins so they can put them on a string? Make for a great “spill”. I received one with a square hole in it when I bought a a Chinese TRX knockoff pinpointer. Luckily used Amazon so when the pinpointer was junk I was able to return it

Do you think the Chinese have a hole in the coins so they can put them on a string? Make for a great “spill”. I received one with a square hole in it when I bought a a Chinese TRX knockoff pinpointer. Luckily used Amazon so when the pinpointer was junk I was able to return it

Which came first? Chicken or the egg? They did put them on strings, but I don't know if that's why they put the square in it. Some people still put the old coins on strings as good luck charms.

There are plenty of reproductions of those coins. I'm going to say mine isn't a reproduction mostly because I found other late 1800s and early 1900s coins in the same yard.

A_Sichuanese_Man_Carrying_13%2C500_Cash_Coins.jpg

Sichuanese man carrying 13,500 cash coins.(1916)

Those folks over there do not allow you to cut a plug, so the only avenue is to come from the other side and dig thru and come up under the coins. Makes them worth while, doesn't it?:chaplin::chaplin:

Back
Top Bottom