Ready to upgrade. Need advice.

zippy58

Ok, I have an f2 and I am having a blast with it. But I am ready to upgrade. My favorite thing to find is silver coins. What do you all think is the best detector for finding deeper silver coins? I am considering the MXT but want to make sure before I buy. I am somewhat of a beginner...is that too much machine for me? Thanks!!!!

Have you read this thread from Detector? http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=27363 Really good perspective. As for me, I like my M6 especially with the 6x10 coil. Found my first ever silver ring yesterday on the second hunt with the new coil, and my first ever wheatie today. The MXT is an M6 on steroids, it'll prospect and relic hunt where on paper the M6 doesn't. Some people out there say the M6 will prospect and relic, but I imagine you have to have years behind the machine to do so. I'm too new to know any better. Listen to the others who will give a voice for their choice and do your homework. Good luck!

Well I don't want to discourage you zippy, but there are a few things you should know about most of the deep machines.

It's a balancing act when it comes to stability vs performance. More often than not, most of the high performance detectors operate on the edge of stability. What this means is they can often be a bit more tricky to understand. Most of the entry level detectors operate in a more conservative level to be more user friendly than high performance.

I've never owned the MXT, but the feedback I've read indicates it can be a bit noisy as can be most high performance detectors. I would say the king of deep silver is the Minelab Explorer's, but then the jury is still out on the new Vision. The MXT, in my opinion, would destroy the Explorer when it comes to gold. Any high performance detector is going to have a learning curve to different degrees. Be prepared to spend the needed time to learn and understand any detector and it will perform to the best of it's ability. Once you feel you have achieved the ability to make your detector perform to the best of it's ability, and thats still not enough, then it's time to look for an upgrade.

People will read the posts about others pulling fantastic finds out of the ground with their $800-$1200 detectors and feel thats what they want. What they don't hear is that most of these fantastic finds could have been made with your F2 in their hands. Most of these people have spent years perfecting the techniques used to find that good stuff and make it look easy. Granted, in some cases the right location does produce great finds for even the beginner. But don't count on it. Most experienced hunters have learned it's how you use what you got more than what you use, but they also realize this after having tried many detectors and ended up with a high performance machine. I would feel confident with the F2, but I also understand it's limitations. That is why I own a high performance detector.

Once you have confidence in YOUR ability, then you can make the decision if an upgrade is what you need.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm mostly a coinshooter I used an Ace 250 for 2 years and then decided I needed an upgrade.. After extensive research and talking to several friends that have a variety of machines I chose the M6 and what a great choice. The M6 is a coin monster!!..... You want be dissapointed !!!

I use a MXT for 95% of my "dirt" hunts and carry an F2 in my Jeep for quick, impromptu opportunities that I encounter.

The F2 is a nice machine, but its not even in the same league as the MXT. Lack of ground balance and tracking is the major drawback of most entry level detectors...Ace 250, F2, etc.

The MXT or the M6 are not "too much machine" for you. They have learning curves like any other machine, but will run at "pre-set" positions right out of the box. As your experience in the hobby increases, these machines have the ability to grow with you.

Good luck making your decision, and please let us know how it's going.

I am like you John except I keep my Ace 250 in the truck. Never know when you might come upon something

I use a MXT for 95% of my "dirt" hunts and carry an F2 in my Jeep for quick, impromptu opportunities that I encounter.

The F2 is a nice machine, but its not even in the same league as the MXT. Lack of ground balance and tracking is the major drawback of most entry level detectors...Ace 250, F2, etc.

The MXT or the M6 are not "too much machine" for you. They have learning curves like any other machine, but will run at "pre-set" positions right out of the box. As your experience in the hobby increases, these machines have the ability to grow with you.

Good luck making your decision, and please let us know how it's going.

I dont't want to hijack the thread.....but what kind of Jeep do you have Lowjiber?

My outdoor vehicle is a 95 Jeep YJ. :D

halfdead

I dont't want to hijack the thread.....but what kind of Jeep do you have Lowjiber? My outdoor vehicle is a 95 Jeep YJ. :D

halfdead
I have a 2001 TJ that I bought new and tricked it out. "You don't buy a Jeep, you build one.":lol:

I took the top off the day I brought it home and haven't put it on since.

Previously, I wore out (200k miles) a great old CJ.

"It's a Jeep thing...most don't understand.":lol::lol::lol:

I have a 2001 TJ that I bought new and tricked it out. "You don't buy a Jeep, you build one.":lol:

I took the top off the day I brought it home and haven't put it on since.

Previously, I wore out (200k miles) a great old CJ.

"It's a Jeep thing...most don't understand.":lol::lol::lol:

Yeah I took the top off mine also and put a camo suntop...added a ham radio, some body armor and other goodies.

I love my Jeep. :D:D

halfdead

the MXT is a great detector however more for relics. Good on coins. The M6 is a grerat detector also and more suited to coin hunting. Good on relics. The M6 has the power of the MXt without the chatter the MXt comes up with at higher sensativity settings. I highly reccomend the M6 first then the MXT. If you can afford it however the DFX would be the better of the three for your needs.If you need more help please let me know.

I use the minelab SE myself..My 1st real detector was The Garret GTI 2500..was a great machine,,but couldnt go near as deep as my SE,and was a very basic machine(no real fine tunning).When i decided to get a Good detector i thought about my main hunting goals..i hunt alot of old sites and parks now and then..My biggest fear was going to a site and missing items becuase my machine was to weak..I decided to get the best i could right from the start.I didnt have time or money to waste buying lesser machines and working my way up..I say bite the bullet and get the best,and then spend the time to learn how to use it..You will be alot happier in the end.Good luck with your choice!

I would also recommend the SE or any of the explorers for that matter. You can get a good used Ex2 (the model prior to the SE) for $600 or $700. Upon switching from the DFX as my primary machine, my average find depth has increased. 7" & 8" coins are becoming regular occurances as I learn the machine.

Detector - very good reply - that's why I still use my old 1266 - cannot imagine digging more than I am. Steve in so az

Back
Top Bottom