Question about MP5 Pro metal detector

crainbebo

I was metal detecting with my new MP5 metal detector, and even with the sensitivity down, I keep getting false signals. Today, all I got was a tiny piece of wood. I dig a hole, after digging 5-6 inches, the detector still beeps. I keep digging, but there is nothing in the plug I'm digging. Can you help, please? I don't want to bring it back!

If you don't have one, a hand held pinpointer will do wonders for you. Long burried coins can be hard to find and as stated smaller targets even harder. An alternative would be some sort of sifter like the one I made pictured below. Small targets will still fall through though.

Attachments

• IMG_0529.JPG
    IMG_0529.JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 1,555
My dad has an MP5 and he has a lot of trouble in minerlized soil. I haven't used his detector so can't tell you for sure. I like what FXDiz suggested; get a pinpointer. You may have a real small target that your detector is seeing but you're not.

Good luck.

RD :cool:

yup..could be a very small item or it could be a very large item that is deep. sounds like to me it could be a pin pointing problem on your part. with time and practice youll get the hang of it.

I own a mp5,I find it works great.Are you using it near powerlines?It could be alkaline in the soil,try using it in a differant place.Try taking it to a sandbox and bury some targets if you can.

I find it is a sensative machine so it could be small tagets try discrimantion on full then try searching and backing off until you get hits.I notice it takkes alot of discrimantion to completely remove bad targets,but you will lose lots of good targets,try using the tones it makes to Id target by in creasing the discrimantion.I can run it allmost run the sensativety full but the pin-point mode does not like mienralized stuff,i use a handheld pinpointer.

The clue is in the text. "All I dug was a tiny piece of wood".
Why do you dig wood or the roots of trees where the sap is detected....no faraday shield on a very early detector or a failed one on a new design.

Brian

That's the only find I found that day. No pull tabs, no bottle caps, no $$$ at all! :mad:

Later, I found a old rusty nail and a piece of glass, so that's two finds.. maybe I can get more later this year.

Hmm,Your machine might not be working right? I use mine with good sucess.It will read a silver quarter with a rusty nail on top.The discrimantion is awesome,but some buried rusty nails even make my good machines think there a soso target,sometimes its a a old penny.
It does go deep,trust me I own one.Its a very good machine for the price,dont let anyone else tell you that.It is cheapo though,so maybe something is wrong.I am sure they are made in china for Kellyco,kinda there house brand cheapo get you started.They should not sell them for what they do.$100 is all there worth.Oh i hate the super large coil for parks and such.

The circuitry is very good,who ever desgned this machine for kellyco did a good job.The pinpoint mode good on ground not to mineralized.I search with pin-point kinda like a all-metal sometimes.The coil is real great epoxy,tough,but real heavy,bad wobbly shaft,bad balance.I put tape in the conections to tighten them.I also put a wieght on it to balance it better.Oh yeah it hates bad soil,alkaline or any mineralization,I have to turn down to use at the river.

You will have to do some testing on it dude.Take it to where your going to use it and bury some targets,see what happens.It does hate bad soil.Just turn the sensativity down,it still goes fairly deep with it down.Its nothing compared to my good dectors,but ti works.In good soil I get at least 7" on a silver quarter.I have yet to do some real hard core testing,I realy could care less how good it is lol.Its the loner.You should though if you plan on using it to find sttuff.Its all in expierence.I did not find much until I got patient hunted with less discrimantion adn learned my machine better.Now I find lots of coins and such,rings are limited.5 to date,but I coin hunt mostly so I miss lots o stuff.

Oh yeah mines broken now anyway LOL.I just need to resoilder the plug onto the coil wire.Cant find a schematic for the wiring of the coil.Oh well cost me $50 bucks.

Back
Top Bottom