AT MAX Ground Balancing Questions.

Stiffwrists

Elite Member
Does anyone use the manual ground Balancing option on the AT MAX? How do you do it... and what is the advantage to the manual balance? I just try to find an area of the ground that is pretty quiet and hold the auto balance button down and lift up and bounce the coil above the ground until it settles down. When would I use the manual ground balance and what am I looking for as I use it? I hope my questions make sense. Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I use auto GB. Never tried manual. I know on some detectors it can gain depth but make them a little unstable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Darktower (Stephen King fan i presume?) I realize that you said you never tried manual ground balance, but do you know how to tell if it needs a positive or negative adjustment?

Oh yeah huge king fan!
I live in Tennessee and my ground is pretty neutral. I find s clean spot with all metal and GB.. than hunt away.

On my deus I can neg GB but it makes it chattery so I normally don’t do it.

If I come across a deep almost undetectable target I switch to all metal. It’s crazy deep. 13 plus inches I’ve gotten in all metal.

Oh yeah huge king fan!
I live in Tennessee and my ground is pretty neutral. I find s clean spot with all metal and GB.. than hunt away.

On my deus I can neg GB but it makes it chattery so I normally don’t do it.

If I come across a deep almost undetectable target I switch to all metal. It’s crazy deep. 13 plus inches I’ve gotten in all metal.

Thanks. I use the All METAL mode on my Garrett the same way.

Unrelated.. I just finished reading Gerald's Game for the first time in a real long time. Underrated King novel in my opinion. Poor Gerald dies and gets eaten by wild dogs. And Jessie degolves her own hand to get out of the handcuffs. Awesome read. I found the Gunslinger and the Dark Tower series too sci-fi for my liking.

Last edited:
I use the Auto "bounce" method 95% of the time. I used manual quite a bit when I was detecting at the beach recently, especially in wet sand.

I would always auto ground balance and then go a few point negative manually. Found some deep silver dimes using that method.

Back
Top Bottom