Seasoning .....

Gauntlet

Forum Supporter
Some cast iron over the net couple days. Got these from Dads, and I'm sure I remember Grandma frying chicken in the Square Skillet (over half a century ago :shock: :lol:).

They were in dire need of a stripping, so they got the electrolysis treatment earlier this summer, and I've been waiting or cooler weather to bring them in and season them so I can start using them. It's rainy, dreary, and temps dropping today, with a low Saturday night of 34* :roll:

I'll post "after" pics when they're done. Got the Square Skillet in the oven right now....I have a pound of bacon that's gonna pay it a visit in the AM.

PA270005.jpg

12" Skillet
PA270003.jpg

PA270004.jpg

10" Skillet
PA270001.jpg

Have a couple more pieces in the barn to season as well.

That's cooking utensils that can be passed down thru the generations. I've got a few pieces myself that need to be treated. Thanks for the reminder.

How are you seasoning them? Oven for a long time with oil in them or something?

Basically rub them down good with grease, and bake them. Not to long or to hot or they'll burn, then you'll need to scrub them down and redo. Pork fat works best, in my opinion. But I'm sure others have they're own recipes.

Cast iron cookware will see us all in our graves before it quits. All that modern no-stick cookware will be dog dishes in a few years. I love my cast iron cookware, but my wife hates it, doesn't understand about seasoning, wants to wash all the seasoning off, and doesn't want to use cast iron cookware because they "are heavy". :roll: And yes, I've tried to educate her, but some people just won't listen. :(

Well, dogs have to have new dishes occasionally, I guess, so its back to the store for more "no stick". :mad:

Note to all you bachelors...make sure your intended bride is checked out on cast iron before she gets the bling that binds. :yes: :laughing:

fat back, bacon, and even cobblers and searing of steaks! I am hungry already!

I'd seared a couple steaks over the past few weeks. Put the skillet in the oven and let it get scorching hot, move to stovetop (medium heat), toss in steak, flip it every 2 minutes for a total of 8 minutes (for 1.5-2" steak). I've got a couple dutch ovens, and made dump cobbler in one, good stuff.

That's cooking utensils that can be passed down thru the generations. I've got a few pieces myself that need to be treated. Thanks for the reminder.

No one to pass them to, nobody wanted them, and grandkids, nieces/nephews ....well, just not their thing.

Based on a search on Griswold iron that no. 800 pan should be at the very least about 60 years old and maybe much older.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griswold_Manufacturing

https://thepan-handler.com/2013/01/collectibility-and-valuation-of-griswold-cast-iron-skillets-8-9-and-10/

........you're cooking with history ! :chef: :lol:

Thanks! I'd looked them up once before, but couldn't remember what I'd read :lol:

How are you seasoning them? Oven for a long time with oil in them or something?

200* oven for 20 minutes, wipe with veg oil, wipe off ALL excess oil (or it'll leave sticky residue), then 350* for 60-90 minutes. Leave in oven, turn of, let cool to room temp.

Not much better than cast iron, nice!

Agreed! I've got a few pieces of (newer) Logde I've been sanding the cook surfaces on over time. Sure a difference between new cast and old cast.

Basically rub them down good with grease, and bake them. Not to long or to hot or they'll burn, then you'll need to scrub them down and redo. Pork fat works best, in my opinion. But I'm sure others have they're own recipes.

Some people bake theirs up to several times. the Square Skillet will pretty much see bacon/sausage, and eggs, but the other 2 I'll probably give a 2nd round in the oven.

Cast iron cookware will see us all in our graves before it quits. All that modern no-stick cookware will be dog dishes in a few years. I love my cast iron cookware, but my wife hates it, doesn't understand about seasoning, wants to wash all the seasoning off, and doesn't want to use cast iron cookware because they "are heavy". :roll: And yes, I've tried to educate her, but some people just won't listen. :(

Well, dogs have to have new dishes occasionally, I guess, so its back to the store for more "no stick". :mad:

Note to all you bachelors...make sure your intended bride is checked out on cast iron before she gets the bling that binds. :yes: :laughing:

Yep, and the fact this is like new proves it, just don't mistreat it (cold water in hot cast, "throw in fire" to clean :shock:, etc)

If i were buying used cast from "wherever". I'd test it or lead before cooking in it.

Oh, and if I had/wanted (another) wife, she'd be barred from cooking in my cast iron :D

As much as cast iron has been used over the years, here's something that was a surprise to me a few years ago. A buddy of mine was having health problems, finally went to the doc, after checkups, tests, blood , urine , everything, the doc asked him about his cookware. He said it was cast iron. The doc said he needed to cut back on cooking in his cast iron pans, he was getting to much iron in his system. Who would have thought that ? They say cooking to much in aluminum pots and pans is bad for you as well. Who would have thought.

As much as cast iron has been used over the years, here's something that was a surprise to me a few years ago. A buddy of mine was having health problems, finally went to the doc, after checkups, tests, blood , urine , everything, the doc asked him about his cookware. He said it was cast iron. The doc said he needed to cut back on cooking in his cast iron pans, he was getting to much iron in his system. Who would have thought that ? They say cooking to much in aluminum pots and pans is bad for you as well. Who would have thought.

Have a cousin who has to donate blood every so often to keep his iron levels down. After years he'd figured-out it was from drinking his rusty well water :laughing: You might have thought his dr would have asked about it.

FYI- EVERYTHING on the planet is bad for us.

Have a cousin who has to donate blood every so often to keep his iron levels down. After years he'd figured-out it was from drinking his rusty well water :laughing: You might have thought his dr would have asked about it.

FYI- EVERYTHING on the planet is bad for us.

FYI---I know,,,:lol:

Growing up in the 60's and 70's, I visited my great uncles' farm. My great uncle kept a rusty tin can baling wired to his windmill to drink well water from. He offered me a drink of well water from the rusty can, said either that it would put hair on my chest or make me a man, I forget which. It must of worked, because I now have hair on my chest, and I'm a man. Good thing I drank well water from a rusty tin can, huh? :lol:

+1 on the comment about checking used cast iron cookware for lead! I've heard of people using cast iron cookware to melt lead to cast ingots or bullets or sinkers, so beware, and get it checked before using it for cooking.

Oh man no doubt!!!! I want a invite for tomorrow morning! Lol

LOL, you gotta get here by 4AM, maybe tomorrow? :lol:

That does look good !

.....and as much as I'd like to eat real bacon, I'd need to get the low fat healthy turkey bacon :lol:

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

:yes:

LOL, you gotta get here by 4AM, maybe tomorrow? :lol:

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

:yes:

I'm not saying I don't have my splurge days, but it's always been too easy for me to gain weight and I want to continue enjoying being about 120 lbs less than I was about 15 years ago, it was not fun being that overweight :shock: :lol:

Back
Top Bottom