Question from a total newbie

tarawa

Forum Supporter
Went detecting for the first time with an experienced friend. He had his AT Pro. I had a new out of the box AT Max. My AT Max doesn't sound as smooth (audio wise) as his AT Pro. Kind of crackly or chirpy. Is this just because I need to find the right settings? We only detected for an hour in an area with lots of junk and signals. Historically, the area has a lot of good stuff mixed with the 110 years of junk accumulation.

Went detecting for the first time with an experienced friend. He had his AT Pro. I had a new out of the box AT Max. My AT Max doesn't sound as smooth (audio wise) as his AT Pro. Kind of crackly or chirpy. Is this just because I need to find the right settings? We only detected for an hour in an area with lots of junk and signals. Historically, the area has a lot of good stuff mixed with the 110 years of junk accumulation.

Tarawa --

As I understand it, the AT Max is a "higher-powered," (for lack of a better word) more sensitive unit than the Pro. So I am not surprised it sounded more crackly/chirpy than the Pro did. If it were me, I'd turn down the sensitivity on the Max, and try to run it more like the Pro (I am presuming you could do this -- tone it down, and I'd think it would behave a bit more like the Pro). You'd lose a little depth, most likely, if you turn it down too far, but running it more stable, until you get used to it, might help.

I'm sure other Max users would be able to help you with settings, but that's what I'd do, especially on a trashy site. You need time, obviously, to learn the Max's language, and you will be making it harder on yourself IMO if you are running it too hot right out of the box, and having to deal with all the chirps/cracks/pops of a "hot" unit...

There's time to run it hotter, later. The time to do that is NOT, IMO, when you first start trying to learn a new unit and its language...

Just my two cents...

Steve

Tarawa --

As I understand it, the AT Max is a "higher-powered," (for lack of a better word) more sensitive unit than the Pro. So I am not surprised it sounded more crackly/chirpy than the Pro did. If it were me, I'd turn down the sensitivity on the Max, and try to run it more like the Pro (I am presuming you could do this -- tone it down, and I'd think it would behave a bit more like the Pro). You'd lose a little depth, most likely, if you turn it down too far, but running it more stable, until you get used to it, might help.

I'm sure other Max users would be able to help you with settings, but that's what I'd do, especially on a trashy site. You need time, obviously, to learn the Max's language, and you will be making it harder on yourself IMO if you are running it too hot right out of the box, and having to deal with all the chirps/cracks/pops of a "hot" unit...

There's time to run it hotter, later. The time to do that is NOT, IMO, when you first start trying to learn a new unit and its language...

Just my two cents...

Steve

Thanks Steve....first time out in over 30+ years. I believe it was probably operator error!

Thanks Steve....first time out in over 30+ years. I believe it was probably operator error!

Understood!

I think you have a really good machine, from what I've heard from those who now have one. But learning the language of your machine -- which of course includes digging tons of targets, both treasure AND TRASH, to gradually learn how what's in the ground relates to what's in your ears -- is where it's at. Once you know how the machine "talks to you," you can begin to run it hotter. Until then, don't overload your brain with too many pops/chirps/spits/squeaks. Run it less "hot," and focus on the clear repeatable signals for now, and you'll begin to understand what it is saying to you.

Steve

I have not used the AT max but spent plenty of time with a pro. What you described sounds like what bothered me when using discrimination. It would sound broken and poppy when trying to block out the iron. Is it possible your friend was running pro zero or "no disk" and your Max was set to some level of disk? I always used pro zero because I did not like the sound of the disc. Even on the deus I seldom use disc for the same reason.

I have not used the AT max but spent plenty of time with a pro. What you described sounds like what bothered me when using discrimination. It would sound broken and poppy when trying to block out the iron. Is it possible your friend was running pro zero or "no disk" and your Max was set to some level of disk? I always used pro zero because I did not like the sound of the disc. Even on the deus I seldom use disc for the same reason.

You may be right. I belive I was in coin mode.

Back
Top Bottom