New release of info from Minelab, about the Equinox...

steveg

Elite Member
http://www.minelab.com/usa/go-minelabbing/treasure-talk/equinox-technologies-part-1

VERY interesting stuff, IMO...

"While we could have taken the approach of putting the X-TERRA (VFLEX technology) in a waterproof housing and adding a selectable frequency range, this would have been following the path of many of our competitors in just rehashing an older single frequency technology that had already reached its performance limits. Another option would have been to create a lower cost waterproof FBS detector, but that also had its challenges with FBS being ‘power hungry’, needing heavier batteries, heavier coils, etc., and relatively high cost compared to the more recent advances that our R&D team have been making with the latest electronics hardware and signal processing techniques."

"Multi-IQ is Minelab’s next major innovation and can be considered as combining the performance advantages of both FBS and VFLEX in a new fusion of technologies."

"When Minelab develop a new detecting technology we aim to create a paradigm shift from existing products and provide a clear performance advantage for our customers."

"Multi-IQ achieves a high level of target ID accuracy at depth much better than any single frequency detector can achieve."

Overall, at least for me, I think this should help to alleviate some concerns I've seen posted about this not being a high-performance unit due to the "price point." For me, this suggests that Multi-IQ is not a machine with "dumbed-down" performance, as compared to other Minelab hobby detectors, despite the attractive price point.

Steve

Here's something I found interesting:

* 20 kHz and 40 kHz are not available as single operating frequencies in EQUINOX 600. The Multi-IQ frequency range shown applies to both EQUINOX 600 and 800.

So if I'm understanding correctly, those who purchase the 600 won't be able to select 20 or 40 kHz as a stand alone frequency (which we already knew), but those frequencies will be running when Multi-Frequency mode is selected even on the 600.

So if I'm understanding correctly, those who purchase the 600 won't be able to select 20 or 40 kHz as a stand alone frequency (which we already knew), but those frequencies will be running when Multi-Frequency mode is selected even on the 600.

Yep, that's how I interpreted it too, Rattlehead...

Steve

Interesting, from what has been advertised the 600 is absent the 20 and 40 kHz, but could be just absent solo selectable and not while multi. Kind weird though, I guess just a perk to buy the 800 along with wireless module and wireless headphones.

New technology explanation does sound succulent though!

So would it be a safe assumption to say -

It uses current technology in multiple different detectors, but runs it at once.
There for eleminating the need for many different detectors.
Not actually totally new technology. But all the current wrapped in one?

I'm very interested in it. Not that my MXT isn't doing the job.
But I've been looking at another detector and this could be the one.

So would it be a safe assumption to say -

It uses current technology in multiple different detectors, but runs it at once.
There for eleminating the need for many different detectors.
Not actually totally new technology. But all the current wrapped in one?

I'm very interested in it. Not that my MXT isn't doing the job.
But I've been looking at another detector and this could be the one.

No, it says it's a major innovation in technology that combines the "performance advantages" of what is currently available. Not combines current technology, but advantages of those technologies.

They use the word "new fusion", so I'd expect taking parts from current and combining with new. Not just combining current.

They give specific reasons why they didn't want to use only current technology.

Last edited:
No, it says it's a new innovation in technology that "combines the performance advantages of what is currently available."

They give specific reasons why they didn't want to use current technology.

Combines and currently we're the words that make me think it's not exactly new technology. It run the best of the current at once...l
I guess you can call it NEW. Still as far as I know, it would be one of the Best Buy's in detectors if it does what it claims.

I'm not trying to put it down. I would love to have one.
I'm saving for one now, and hope to buy he after a few reviews are out.
When is it going to be available already.....lol

Combines and currently we're the words that make me think it's not exactly new technology. It run the best of the current at once...l
I guess you can call it NEW. Still as far as I know, it would be one of the Best Buy's in detectors if it does what it claims.

I'm not trying to put it down. I would love to have one.
I'm saving for one now, and hope to buy he after a few reviews are out.
When is it going to be available already.....lol

Minelab calls it new and backs it up in the paragraph after also...

"By developing a new technology, as well as a new detector ‘from scratch’, we will be providing both multi-frequency and selectable single frequencies in a lightweight platform, at a low cost, with a significantly faster recovery speed that is comparable to or better than competing products.

When Minelab develop(s) a new detecting technology we aim to create a paradigm shift from existing products and provide a clear performance advantage for our customers."

That would just be my interpretation though, interesting to see what others pick up on too?

I find it also very interesting as to why they keep targeting only single frequency detectors and not making any distinctions separating it from other multifrequency detectors, although it does clearly state that BBS/FBS will have a clear advantage on high conducting silver in all areas...

My only thoughts are that they are just madly targeting VLF which is already obvious by price...

"Multi-IQ achieves a high level of target ID accuracy at depth much better than any single frequency detector can achieve."

At least we have a little more detail and insight on why they believe it will make VLF obsolete.

Last edited:
So the Multi-IQ is more sensitive to high frequency targets but the BBS/FBS machines will still have the advantage for finding high conductive silver in all conditions...sounds like a winner to me:lol:

So the Multi-IQ is more sensitive to high frequency targets but the BBS/FBS machines will still have the advantage for finding high conductive silver in all conditions...sounds like a winner to me:lol:

Their explanation sounds like straight up bs, and people are buying it. They say fbs uses too much energy but going to use fbs and vflex. As they say a fool is born every day...lol

High Frequency Targets? This I assume means materials with low conductivity?

Low Frequency Targets? This I assume means materials with high conductivity?

I am no expert on anything to do with detectors but I can't see any of the manufacturers (in this case Minelab) explaining exactly why their new technology is going to work better or exactly how their new technology is going to work better . That's pretty much the norm for any new or revised product release I would say , a bunch of buzz words that could mean any number of things . I will say this much even though I am very inexperienced , the Equinox is either going to be a great machine , a mediocre machine , or a horrible machine , I'll even bet on it :laughing:

I am no expert on anything to do with detectors but I can't see any of the manufacturers (in this case Minelab)

Minelab does a decent job releasing white papers that give a somewhat high level description of their technology. These papers are usually shunned by the hobbyists and read by recreational science geeks.

Sounds like Equinox is FBS Lite using 5khz/40khz instead of 3.125khz/25khz at a lower transmit power/consumption combined with X-terra 705 single freq behavior, tones, etc.

It's says better than single frequency, but I have yet to see them claim it's better, or as good as, FBS/FBS2. It does have many great new features that I wish my Etrac had (fast,lightweight,waterproof etc.) but I'm not sure people should be expecting Etrac/CTX performance at this price point. So far I haven't seen Minelab make that claim. It looks like a decent machine though.

Their explanation sounds like straight up bs, and people are buying it. They say fbs uses too much energy but going to use fbs and vflex. As they say a fool is born every day...lol

That's not what they said. They are not "using FBS and VFlex." I read it to say they took some "lessons learned," technologically, from both FBS and VFlex, used them as sort of a "starting point," and engineered a NEW way to process multi-frequency signals -- while incorporating the latest hardware and signal processing techniques.

Thanks for calling those of us who are interested in this unit, and trying to discern and understand from Minelab what they have created here, a bunch of fools.

What is the issue you have here? Obviously, not a Minelab fan -- but it seems more than that. Did Minelab kill your dog, or something? LOL! :laughing:

Steve

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom