Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Deteknix
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Metal Detector Accessories

Notices

Old 08-14-2017, 11:22 PM
Elite Member

Default CTX Coiltek 14x9 ?

Am I missing something or hasn't the 14x9 made by Coiltek for the CTX lived up to the good early reviews? When I first heard of this coil at a Minelab Bootcamp this past spring it sounded like with all the hype it was getting at the time that it would become the new rage and 3030 users would be raving about how great they are. Now it's hard to find anyone that even has one or a video on youtube that's less than a year old.

Last edited by FFX2; 08-17-2017 at 01:34 PM.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:58 PM
Elite Member

Everything mostly Inhave seen posted.

For the price, weight, no appreciable advantage of the 6" coil.
I do have the 6" coil for CTX.
Never have played with or had the coil tek 5x10.
And Inwon't be getting either.

Last edited by tnsharpshooter; 08-16-2017 at 10:37 AM.

Old 08-16-2017, 12:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by FFX2 View post
Am I missing something or hasn't the 10x5 made by Coiltek for the CTX lived up to the good early reviews? When I first heard of this coil at a Minelab Bootcamp this past spring it sounded like with all the hype it was getting at the time that it would become the new rage and 3030 users would be raving about how great they are. Now it's hard to find anyone that even has one or a video on youtube that's less than a year old.
Well, at 10x5 its not much of a difference in the 11 inch stock coil, so most people either go much larger or much smaller with their coil choices...

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:56 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by NectarDetector View post
Well, at 10x5 its not much of a difference in the 11 inch stock coil, so most people either go much larger or much smaller with their coil choices...
Great sensitivity is what people that had gotten their hands on one were raving about back before these coils were available to the general public. Andy Sabisch told us at his Boot Camp that it blew the stock coil away so at the time I was seriously considering pre ordering one.

Old 08-17-2017, 02:05 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by tnsharpshooter View post
Everything mostly Inhave seen posted.

For the price, weight, no appreciable advantage of the 6" coil.
I do have the 6" coil for CTX.
Never have played with or had the coil tek 5x10.
And Inwon't be getting either.
Originally Posted by NectarDetector View post
You know what? I screwed up, The coil I am meaning to talk about is the Coiltek 14x9 and not a 10x5 !! I honestly don't know if Coiltek makes a 10x5 and am not sure why I was calling it that!

Maybe we can somehow make this thread disappear.

Old 08-17-2017, 11:08 AM
Supporter

Hey Dave I have the Coiltek 14" X 9" coil, swapped my 17" coil for it. Seems to run as stable as the stock coils and although I have not done any "scientific" test I believe it hits a bit deeper than stock and ID's just as well as stock.
I am going out today and will take it and see if there is anything else I can add to this.

Old 08-17-2017, 11:55 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by choppadude View post
Hey Dave I have the Coiltek 14" X 9" coil, swapped my 17" coil for it. Seems to run as stable as the stock coils and although I have not done any "scientific" test I believe it hits a bit deeper than stock and ID's just as well as stock.
I am going out today and will take it and see if there is anything else I can add to this.
Like to hear more about it Choppa.
Thanks.

Old 08-17-2017, 11:56 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by FFX2 View post
You know what? I screwed up, The coil I am meaning to talk about is the Coiltek 14x9 and not a 10x5 !! I honestly don't know if Coiltek makes a 10x5 and am not sure why I was calling it that!

Maybe we can somehow make this thread disappear.
Not to worry.
Honest mistake.

You can always amend title of thread to reflect.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:59 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by choppadude View post
I'll be anxiously waiting Steve! Not sure how you find enough time to try out all the different detectors and gear that you do.

Old 08-17-2017, 02:17 PM
Supporter

good to see Choppa will give us a honest review, seems to really not be much out there on that coil.

Old 08-17-2017, 05:02 PM
Elite Member

Talking A thread

On the 14x9 has been up for months on the beach water hunting forum, waiting for Choppa to hunt the beach with it , however if he sold the 17 inch coil, it will be hard to compare coil to coil, why he did that who knows, everything is a hot potato that get's in his hands

Excalibur Blue 1000, Excalibur Blue 800, Dual CTX3030's, Surf Pi DF, Sovereign GT, F -75 SE-Boost & DST , 1976 Coin Master ***** In The Past Detectors used -- Two- E-trac's , V3I, Omega 8000, 3- Euro Tek Pro's,2- F75 Standard, Cz70 Pro, Cz20 , Excalibur Sword built by Gary Storm, Two Excalibur 2's & my 1st - One Hot Blue Excalibur 10

Old 09-06-2017, 08:06 PM
Supporter

Have had some time to run the 14 X 9" coil and am very happy with it. It does weigh a bit, but that has not been an issue with me. I ran it down at Ocean city MD and found a lot of clad and a lot of trash. It does keep the same VID readings as the stock coil and also identifies the bottlecaps just as well as the stock and 17" coil.
I have also done some coinshooting with this coil and like it there also. Not as cumbersome as the 17" coil in tighter spots like around trees and such. Good depth, solid ID's and pin points right on spot.
I will hopefully be taking this south on a relic hunt in a couple months.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:43 PM
Elite Member

Thumbs up Choppa

Will finally get to use mine soon, can't wait, along with Harold's phone's, happy hunting Bro, Earl

Excalibur Blue 1000, Excalibur Blue 800, Dual CTX3030's, Surf Pi DF, Sovereign GT, F -75 SE-Boost & DST , 1976 Coin Master ***** In The Past Detectors used -- Two- E-trac's , V3I, Omega 8000, 3- Euro Tek Pro's,2- F75 Standard, Cz70 Pro, Cz20 , Excalibur Sword built by Gary Storm, Two Excalibur 2's & my 1st - One Hot Blue Excalibur 10

Old 09-26-2017, 12:59 PM
Sponsor

We (Antiques Detectors) have this coil in stock. I have used it and compared to the Minelab 17" coil.
My initials thoughts on this coil are its just as heavy (maybe a little heavier), then the 17" coil.
I didn't notice any more depth as compared to the 17". (I really like Minelabs 17" coil)
It does pinpoint well and VDI#s are steady.
All that being said, I only have about 8 hours with this coil and I am NO EXPERT by any means. Just my initial thoughts on it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 TOTALS 39 SILVERS, 22 INDIANS, 1 "V",12 rings
2017 TOTALS 24 SILVERS, 18 INDIANS, 3 RING, 3 "V"
CTX 3030, XP DEUS, AT Propointer

Old 09-27-2017, 11:01 AM
Elite Member

Default I For See

The only advantage which will be beneficial at the beach is drag in the water, as i here most 17's ear's have broke by the waves, any how since coil's are limited to the CTX3030, i believe the coil Will BE Nice at the beach, i have air tested it, seams that the pinpoint is dead on, better than the 17 will be taking it for a spin soon, will not be comparing to the 17 wright away, happy hunting Earl

Old 10-19-2017, 10:45 PM
Elite Member

Thumbs down got a bad coil

Message on the ctx in and out , no coil detected , maybe a bad chip, sent mine back for a full refund. no more Coiltek's for me. A 400.00 coil that didn't work