Minelab gofind 20 for 7 year old?

NCtoad

Forum Supporter
One of my daughters is very interested in metal detecting and wants a metal detector for her 7th birthday which is on the 27th of Nov. She's been tagging along with me and digging and pinpointing. Any thoughts on the minelab gofind 20?

Off with a Euro Tec Pro with 11 dd or a F2 combo deal, stay away from those pro find models :roll::aok::my2cents:

For a 7 year old?? What's wrong with the profind models. I was also thinking a tesoro compadre, but not sure if they will go short enough.

You want opinions

Not cutting Mine Lab down as I own some, high end, BUT i have not herd any good things on the pro find models, now comes the ?, do you want your 7 year old to find good stuff, or not, OR only to loose interest in the hobby Quick, your choice bro., to be honest i have only herd negative things on them, not getting in a catch 22 here, but i will tell you I have been detecting 40 years land, water going on 8, so take it for what it's worth, happy hunting, Earl PS If you want a Minelab , get her a 305 to start, cya

Not cutting Mine Lab down as I own some, high end, BUT i have not herd any good things on the pro find models, now comes the ?, do you want your 7 year old to find good stuff, or not, OR only to loose interest in the hobby Quick, your choice bro., to be honest i have only herd negative things on them, not getting in a catch 22 here, but i will tell you I have been detecting 40 years land, water going on 8, so take it for what it's worth, happy hunting, Earl PS If you want a Minelab , get her a 305 to start, cya

Ok, thanks. Just did a quick search and see what you mean about the gofind models. Looks like a compadre would be a much better choice.

I herd

They are a nice starter machine, never owned a Tesoro , just Fisher, Teknetics ,Minelab & Whites, but I have herd positives on that model, best of luck , Earl

Just placed an order for the compadre w/5.75" coil. I will be borrowing it from time to time:excited:

Last edited:
Kids MetalDetectors

One of my daughters is very interested in metal detecting and wants a metal detector for her 7th birthday which is on the 27th of Nov. She's been tagging along with me and digging and pinpointing. Any thoughts on the minelab gofind 20?

Check out this link for kids Metaldetectors
any questions give me a call
dennis

http://www.metaldetectors.com/kids-metal-detectors

I was looking for a good beginning detector for my 10 year old great nephew. I had the opportunity to buy 2 GoFind 40's new in the box for the price of one recently. My local dealer had 2 left as promotionals. He had used the original GoFind 40 that Minelab had sent him and was impressed at how well it detected in the field, but wasn't impressed with the build quality. It had some looseness in the lower extending rod. While in his office, we opened up the box of one of the new ones. He immediately recognized that Minelab had made some changes since the original and the new one was much more rigid than the original. Glad he stuck with his offer. I love this little detector. It detects good, is light, works in sand better than my Xterra 705, and once you get the hang of it, it pinpoints really well.

When I go to a hunting spot, I usually do a random walk about to see if there are any hot spots. The GoFind 40 is a great tool to get you dialed into the hot spots.

Some times when I get tired after using the 705 with the 15" Coiltek coil, I'll use the 40 for a break.

It does take a bit to get used to, but if you give it a chance (like any detector) you won't be disappointed.

My great nephew is able to handle it really well and he doesn't realize he's going to have his own under the Christmas tree this year.

The Teknetics Digitek is what I got for my 9yo and she loves it. I'd stay away from the Go-Find. Bought her that first and it was terrible.

The Teknetics Digitek is what I got for my 9yo and she loves it. I'd stay away from the Go-Find. Bought her that first and it was terrible.

What problems did you have with the GoFind. I've seen several comments like this but rarely hear it from someone who has used it long enough to learn it. Not saying you're like that, just curious what problems you had. Had a buddy with an MXT who was really impressed with my GoFind 40.

It was a lot more toy than a metal detector. I've had dozens of detectors and it was by far the worst. Just my opinion.

Not trying to cause a row here but I don't think it's fair to the manufacturer to just say it seemed like a toy. I know several people that have different models of the GoFind that find them very useful. As I said before, I think there were some build issues with the early units that have been fixed. I can say that it seems a bit plasticy (is that a word), but it still detects good once you learn it and seems to be holding up fine. And the fact that you can fold it up and stick it in your backpack is pretty nice too.

My 4 year old can already run my Ace 250 and find things. She just needs a little recovery help. I have a GoFind 20 I got at near half price new for her, haven't taken it out of the box yet.

I got my 8 yr old son a go find 20. once he realize that everything rang up as a high tone he was done with it now he uses an AT Pro. Just friendly tip.

Get your son a machine that has better discrimination as well as a number ID system...he will have a lot more fun

Anyone wanting a go find 20 let me know I got one for sale

Back
Top Bottom