Metal Detector for a 15 year old

Marshel

My grandson got a metal detector from his mom for Christmas last year. We recently had a cook out I told him to bring it along.
He spent the whole day in the yard digging up junk, but wouldn't stop. The detector was a real cheapo. I am thing about getting a decent one, with discrimination for Christmas this year.
The budget would around $300. We could go $50 or so over.
In my research I have found the following:
White Coin Master
Teknetics Delta 4000
Teknetics Euro Pro and Euro Tek
Minelabs Go-Find 60
Garret Ace series
Any critiques on the above would be greatly appreciated. These are the ones that I have researched and would be open to other suggestions in my price range.

That Tek Euro Pro is a sleeper...right in your price wheelhouse too...I will say this...you gotta good thing going with this kid if you can keep him outdoors and interested in this Sport...so good on you and Mom there for getting the fire lit...

We would all say this Sport has changed all of our lives for the better, and any money spent on gear for a kid like that who seems to be hooked is worthwhile... especially healthy Sport for a young man...this could be the fork in the road here for you all...thanks for asking for advice here...direct him to this Forum if you feel comfortable doing so...most of the members here are adults and honorable people...present company excluded of course! :laughing:

Young Men need to be outdoors hunting for things or else they can get into trouble...He will learn a whole lot about history and whatnot...this is a healthy Sport with Great mentors here for Life in general...
Mud

2 cents

I started with the eurotek pro good little machine.

If you go with that one defiantly spend the extra money and get the 11" DD coil version, think its around 300.00. I did not really care for the 8" Concentric Coil on mine.

Also maybe the Garrett ACE 300/400, a similar feature set as the AT pro/gold.

Just my 2 cents

I started with the eurotek pro good little machine.

If you go with that one defiantly spend the extra money and get the 11" DD coil version, think its around 300.00. I did not really care for the 8" Concentric Coil on mine.

Also maybe the Garrett ACE 300/400, a similar feature set as the AT pro/gold.

Just my 2 cents

Thats a good point there Regent! That 11" dd rocks! You know this kid will pay the thing off in a great big hurry with that coil!!
Mud

Thats a good point there Regent! That 11" dd rocks! You know this kid will pay the thing off in a great big hurry with that coil!!
Mud

I metioned the F22 based on having used both... the eurotek pro is deeper, but the F22 has alot more features, including target notching to help a new user understand what he's about to dig more efficiently. Likewise, on the eurotek pro, you get jumpy numbers more often than not, where the 22 locks onto the numbers better, thus less frustration for a young user. There's a reason I suggest what I do....LOL

I metioned the F22 based on having used both... the eurotek pro is deeper, but the F22 has alot more features, including target notching to help a new user understand what he's about to dig more efficiently. Likewise, on the eurotek pro, you get jumpy numbers more often than not, where the 22 locks onto the numbers better, thus less frustration for a young user. There's a reason I suggest what I do....LOL

Agree on the more features, have had different results on the jumpy ID. Soil differences probably. Euro to me seems more like the original Omega 8000 processing with trimmed down features and no ground balance which is very tight on ID for me. I do like the F22 more than F44. Wish the new F series and 8500 platform didn't lose it's love for nickels.

F22, Eurotek Pro, ACE 300, ACE 400, Silver Umax all excellent options in that price range as suggested.

Bounty hunter Quick Draw Pro, Land Ranger Pro, and teknetics Digitek (with longer rod) are all on that similar F22 platform as well.

Any big brand detector in that range will suit him well. Just depends what you think he is looking for and will mesh with.

I started with the garrett ace series. It was fun but you will miss things due to their slow recovery speed,especially around iron.
I did find alot of gold jewelry with my ace.

My grandson got a metal detector from his mom for Christmas last year. We recently had a cook out I told him to bring it along.
He spent the whole day in the yard digging up junk, but wouldn't stop. The detector was a real cheapo. I am thing about getting a decent one, with discrimination for Christmas this year.
White Coin Master
Teknetics Delta 4000
Minelabs Go-Find 60
Garret Ace series
Any critiques on the above would be greatly appreciated. These are the ones that I have researched and would be open to other suggestions in my price range.
If you keep a careful eye out. At pro Craig's or local paper (Craig's here has been a insane load listed)
He's young, water proof, great all around machine. Gives almost no. boundries other then 10 feet under water max. (With appropriate headphones for dunking)
Yes it's rare it does happen. I paid I think 380 but got some extras (which found out after were not worth the extra 30 lol)
But deals are possible.

Just a view from a newer guy :)

I'm not going to add more confusion to you on this , but waterproof is nice , when I started out , I would wrap mine in Saran Wrap and hit the parks tot lots in a slow rain. That way nobody was around to bother me. Just a thought

As a scoutmaster for boy scouts I have an Ace 250, Pro pointer, and Lesche style digging tool for the boys to use at camps. It's a machine simple enough for the new scouts who have never used a detector before, and it keeps the interest of the scouts who have more experience with the 250.

I carry everything you need

White Coin Master
Teknetics Delta 4000
Minelabs Go-Find 60
Garret Ace series

Give me a call lets talk about Detecting and saving you money
dennis

Back
Top Bottom