Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Metal Detector Accessories

Notices

Old 10-26-2017, 11:27 AM
Sponsor

Default Has anyone tried this SOG shovel?

Link

I am thinking something small to carry in the car in addition to my digging tool. Any thoughts?

Old 11-05-2017, 04:13 AM

I have one that was part of a package deal offered by SOG a few years back. I thought it would be great for detecting. Itís quite small compared to the standard issue GI entrenching tool and I dont think it would hold up as your main shovel. Frankly Iím surprised SOG sells them! I own several SOG products and am happy with all but this shovel. Itís just not a quality made shovel.

Old 11-05-2017, 08:39 AM
Supporter

I've looked at many options over the years, the folding feature is cool, but these look too flimsy and much wider than we need, at least for coinshooting in yards and parks.

Old 11-05-2017, 01:36 PM
Elite Member

If you are going to go with a folding shovel I would choose a genuine military issue. I have a couple that I keep in my car in case I get stuck but I think that they are a little wide for detecting. Most copies are junk and will bend. I use an 18" Sampson for detecting.

Old 11-05-2017, 01:59 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Silversmith45 View post
If you are going to go with a folding shovel I would choose a genuine military issue. I have a couple that I keep in my car in case I get stuck but I think that they are a little wide for detecting. Most copies are junk and will bend. I use an 18" Sampson for detecting.
I agree with Silversmith45. A genuine issue shovel is a tough piece of equipment.

Old 11-05-2017, 02:05 PM

Let me add to my comment above.

I use a Lesche Sampson T-Handle 31" long and built like a tank! They also make an 18" version.

If you want to go for price you might look at the Compact Shovel at Lowes. Listed at $9.98. These are similar to the shovels you see in tons of youtube videos by pondguru, The Hoover Boys and others.

Hope this helps!
Attached Images

Last edited by Planedoc; 11-05-2017 at 06:06 PM.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:54 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Planedoc View post
Let me add to my comment above.

I use a Lesche Sampson T-Handle 31" long and built like a tank! They also make an 18" version.

If you want to go for price you might look at the Compact Shovel at Lowes. Listed at $9.98. These are similar to the shovels you see in tons of youtube videos by pondguru, The Hoover Boys and others.

Hope this helps!
I have always felt that along with the GI entrenching tool, those shovels are too wide for digging finds. They also draw attention to what you are doing.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:20 AM
Sponsor

Ok, thanks for the info....I have one of these shovels that I got for my son for camping....but didn't know if it would be worthwhile to have. It is a bit wide, so I'll get one for the car as an emergency tool

Old 11-10-2017, 12:00 PM

you can get genuine military issue tri-fold shovels online with a carrying case for 25 dollars

I got mine from herehttps://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...-new?a=1510532
2 days ago so I haven't been able to use it yet. Ames is the manufacturer

you can get it for 20 dollars if you use the code TAKEOFF20% when you check out

If you don't like it you can always put on the shelf as a collector's item