• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Flu Bug......Go Get That Flu Shot.

DirtyRob

Forum Supporter
I got bit. Bit BAD! But I got the flu shot a month or two ago. Some doctors are saying the country is at an epidemic level. And different strains are making those with the flu shots sick as well. But the doctors also say if you still get the flu after the shot it will be less severe.

So here's the deal. At one point I couldn't walk 20 feet without wanting to lay down for a nap. Completely wiped out for 3 days. MY body feeling like a did 10 rounds with Mike Tyson. I am slowing getting back to my old self.

I get a slight cold once or twice a year. I am lucky I never get really "sick". Still wearing shorts to work in 20's and 30's. I just don't get sick. I'm not some macho tough-guy. I just don't get sick.

I do believe if I hadn't got the flu shot I would be in the hospital right now.

So take my advice......GET THE FLU SHOT!

Call your Dr. or just go to CVS or Walgreens. Both of these by me are offering the shot.

GET THE SHOT!

Everyone I know who got the flu this year, has gotten the flu shot. I will take my chances, 47 years old and never gotten a shot. Don't remember the last time I had the flu, I know the last time I missed work due to sickness was like 5 years ago, but if I remember correctly it was a cold. Sorry just not a big believer that the shot is for everyone.

But I should say I'm close to OCD when it comes to washing my hands.

DR

Like you wife and I both got flue shots, about Oct.We even get the extra strength shots---You guess it, we both have flue like systems now.

I got the flu shot this year. Two friends who didn't get the shot and got the flu been sick for a month. Hopefully if I get it, I won't stay sick a month:shock: Hate to say it. But people today have no respect for others. Lady in the bank the other day instead of coughing in her sleeve was coughing straight forward and spitting on three people. I didn't need to cash that $12 check that bad!:lol:

if you want to get a flu shot your welcome to do so the shot is not for me the last three times I got the flu shot I got the flu ever since I stopped getting the flu shot I also stopped getting the flu I'm not going to get a flu shot this years Like Big Treble said, I am too OCD washing my hands.

if you want to get a flu shot your welcome to do so the shot is not for me the last three times I got the flu shot I got the flu ever since I stopped getting the flu shot I also stopped getting the flu I'm not going to get a flu shot this years Like Big Treble said, I am too OCD washing my hands.

I understand both of you. I used to never get the shot. Go years between doctors! But having a child in school, someone in that school is always sick. I finally got the flu and since that I get the shot. The heck with taking any chances!

I work in the heathcare industry and get a flu shot every year including this last year. This years bug has mutated, mainly due to our higher immigrant population is what I'm told, and so the vaccine isn't as potentate as expected. However, getting the shot does reduce the severity should you come down with the flu.

FACT: There has never been an actual diagnosed case of someone catching the flu from a flu shot. NEVER!!!

Myth #1: The flu vaccine gives you the flu or makes you sick. (No, it doesn’t.)
This is by far the most common myth I hear – even though it’s biologically not possible from the inactivated vaccine. Are there people who become sick right after having gotten the flu shot? Of course, and it’s an illness they had likely caught before the shot and it took a a few days for symptoms to appear, or it’s just coincidence (and it may or may not be the flu). The flu shot takes two weeks to confer protection, and it takes 2-5 days to incubate a flu virus. A person who does come down with the flu within a week of getting the shot was already infected when they got the vaccine.

The key to avoiding colds and flu, are to wash your hands often, avoid touching your face, specifically, around the eyes, nose, and mouth.

It's not uncommon, to feel flu-like symptoms, after getting the shot. Generally means your immune system is already prepared for the flu season, and did it's job one the stuff you had shoved in your arm.

Parents, and people who work in close quarters, should consider getting the shot. The flu virus can still be passed around, quite a while after coughed, sneezed, or puked out of the body. You can still pick it up, from people who don't appear sick. The virus is harmless, if it never gets inside your body. it doesn't pass through the skin (except maybe an uncovered wound). Your eyes, nose, and mouth are the prime entry ways. Your hands are microbe magnets, that's why washing them often, and keep them away from your face, is the most effect way to avoid infection.

Also, a good idea to prepare your own meals, definitely avoid the buffet lines. Wouldn't avoid restaurants altogether, most are pretty good about safe food handling. If it's a decent place, and you feel comfortable, it's probably okay. I very rarely do any kind of fast food, flu season, or any other time, just pure scary to me. The employees seem to think the gloves are for their protection, not so much for the customer's benefit...

I learned, and have practiced these guidelines since grade school, and haven't had the flu since. Occasionally still get a mild cold, once every year or two.

The flu vaccine this year was not formulated for the viral strain we actually got. However, doctors say that even if it is not perfect protection, it will help to reduce the symptoms if you get it.

Wife and I got the flu shots. I didn't get the flu, but she did. Body aches, sore throat and a fever for a couple of days. Unfortunately it has devolved into a sinus infection and she is now taking antibiotics for it.

I've gotten the shot every year for many years now. Haven't even had a cold once, and definately never been sick from the shot. *knocking wood*.

Never needed a shot, never will. WHo knows what's in that !!!!?
I don't get sick anyways.

Ok, I just jinxed myself.

Same here Rob. I got the shot but still came down with the flu. Not as bad a case as you from the sound of it but it just won't let go. I'm still a bit congested and have a runny nose.

Being a Plumber I used to get the flu shot free at work. The old shot used to make me feel sick for days. This new one didn't knock me for a loop. I'm OCD about washing my hands since the days of working in sewage treatment plants. You also work in Dentist offices and Mortuaries where blood and aids abound. Let's just say I'm not a nail biter either. The problem comes from someone sneezing and all that spray you don't see goes right in your eyes and up your nose. Plus if you eat in any food place, the person working there gets some flu on your food. You basically need to live in a bunker with rations and a filtration system to totally avoid the flu. I got the swine flu once and remember praying to die more than once.

Ah, I remember my good old invincibility younger days. I grew up drinking out of the local river and playing in stagnant ponds as a young'n. I was told my immune system was very strong because as a kid I had been exposed to many thinks, like drinking out of the river, that had built up a very strong immunity system. Then age caught up and new virus not around when I was building my immune system hit America.

Enjoy your invincibility while you're young, just be aware time will change that thought. Count on it.

Glad you pulling through man. At least you aren't missing any MD'ing right now!:lol:

FACT: There has never been an actual diagnosed case of someone catching the flu from a flu shot. NEVER!!!

Of course not, millions in profits would be at stake...........
And how many normal cases of the flue are documented exactly what person gave it to the patient? And how exactly could that be 100% proven that's the only contact they had with the virus?
Not trying to argue or debate it just pointing out why it's called a medical "practice" instead of medical solutions!:lol:

It went to my chest eventually. But I do believe I would have been in the hospital a few days if it wasn't for the shot.

I did get out Christmas day....the bug stated kicking my arse 2 days later. Big time body punches! Needed tons of sleep. And my 12 hour work schedule was dang near impossible. Took 2 days off.

Back
Top Bottom