• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Problems with Garrett Pro Pointer

I think my Pro Pointer is probably the sturdiest piece of equipment of any kind I've ever bought. I've dropped it off a second story platform in an old fire station onto asphalt. Dropped it dozens of times out of my pouch, at least half of them on asphalt or concrete when getting back in the truck after a hunt. I use it like a small shovel really hard jabbing when I'm very close to a target. Best purchase you can make imo.

My garrett pp went out on my last week. Every time I push it against the dirt it beeps. It works fine other than that...maybe a lose wire. I will have to call them soon.

Mine started doing this as well today...When the slightest pressure is applied to the tip, it sounds off. I was carefull using it for the rest of my hunt today but I'm not too happy about having to send it in already as it only has a couple hours on it at the most...:mad:

I believe they all will beep if pushed against the dirt with pressure??? At least mine does. I hope mine isn't bad. The last time I went hunting with it, it came on and wouldn't shut off. I manually turned it off and turned it back on and it was fine. I think I will recheck my manual to see if it mentions it staying on like it did when the battery is low. :?:

While I don't have a Garrett pinpointer, I have the cheap brand. It works fine for me, but I rarely use it. I have used my detector long enough that I don't really need one and I forget that it's there. This probably won't go over to well, but I think that they have you spoiled. Everyone needs to leave them home for a week and practice pinpointing with your detectors. Most detectors will do a lot better job than you give them credit for, with a little practice. You will get more out of your detector that way too.

One thing I have noticed about old relics and such that I dig is that they are all very sturdy built. Sometimes I wonder what detectorists in the future are going to find from our era? We make crap that will not last! Look at zincolns for gods sake! Those things degrade in the ground after only a few years!
I guess they will have to come up with plastic detectors to hunt our artifacts. I don't think metal coins will be around that much longer. I seldom use paper or metal money these days.

Is is a shame about zinc coins, The ground here in the northwest stays wet much of the year, It eats zincolns for lunch.
I have a pile of zincolns with holes in them or that have lost half their mass and many are from the 2000's. And those are the ones you can date at all:(

I have a Garrett Pro Pointer and life would be bad without it (Yes you become dependant and spoiled,,,,they are that good). So far mine gets lots of use and it still works fine. I take my battery out when not in use.

Its always great to know that the products you buy are from a company like Garrett who stand behind their products. My first PP was the $15 HF one - wish I would have sprung for the Garrett pro pointer much sooner!

Haven't coughed up the money yet for one, still using my White's Bullseye II. Works really good on gold. The switch is a little too "touchy" though......

Dusty

Haven't coughed up the money yet for one, still using my White's Bullseye II. Works really good on gold. The switch is a little too "touchy" though......

Dusty

I have numerous pinpointers and the Garrett is my favorite, by far! A few weeks back, I left my fanny-pack with my treasure bag (empty) and Pro Pointer on the roof of my car as I prepared to catch a bus to the beach. Got to the beach and realized what happened. Needless to say, it was NOT still on the roof of my car when I returned that afternoon! I have the Whites Bullseye II, the Bounty Hunter pinpointer and a few of others (AutoMax, DX-1 in line and an underwater one) but mostly use the Garrett combined with the BH. I like the Garrett to get me close to my target within inches and follow up with the BH stuck into the ground with it's very small probe after probing the ground with a screw driver. The BH only sounds off if it's within about 1/4" of the target, so I know I'm REALLY close! Saves making too big of a hole in the ground, especially at parks. I'm getting ready to order another Pro Pointer because I really miss it and the others just can't do what it does! I especially love it's increased intensity as you get closer to the target as well as the fact you can use a coin on the side to get deeper signals! So cool! :shock:

Last edited:
loves it

Love my pro pointer! It's sucks on batteries though lol. Anyone have any range issues with theirs? When I first got mine, it would hit on a coin 6 inches away, now I only get about 4. I suspect it could have just been a battery level issue on two different batteries even though both were brand new. Who knows. Just tossing it out there....

mines got sensativety problems you have to be right on the target for it to beep...havent had it but a month whats the normal distance on a coin for example ...new batteries...still not sensative as i thibk it should be

Mine is about a month old and I've noticed lately that it doesn't want to power on all the time. I'll hit the power button, it makes the beep like it's starting, but then shuts off. If i leave it for a little while, sometimes it powers up. I can however hold the power button down and it will work until I let go. I don't think it's a dead battery though b/c the last time the battery was dying, it made a constant beeping sound that didn't stop until i replaced the battery. It's not doing that now. I hope it's not defective :(

Anyone else have this problem? I'm going to replace the batteries after work tonight and hope that solves it.

Without a doubt in my mind the PP was the best $$ I ever spent.....Saves a ton of time finding a target and would not go MD without it. Sometimes does go a little crazy but a quik on and off and its ready to go....:yes:

My GPP is a week old. I have to push the power button sometimes up to 5 times before it will stay on.
When its on, it works great.

I'll wait until it dies before I send it in..I have a Fisher pointer to use as a back up.

im the friend. Called Garrett today to inform them that I would be sending it in. great service. the guy said to send it down and they would give me a new one. He sounded surprised so I dont think they have had many problems. I love the pinpointer but like tony said, i wish it lasted longer. O well. we will see what happens for round 2 when it comes!:roll:

I'm curious to know if you & your friend bought from the same place. Is it possible you both bought refurbs? Were you both exposed to a strong magnetic / electrical source with the pin pointers at some point? Anything common at all you two did together at some point? Just curious. If either of you can think of anything, I'm sure all of us would like to know so we can avoid what you fellows went through. Thanks & luck to you.

Back
Top Bottom