1821 2-reale

Ive never found a 2 reales so I love it

Got out today to a spot I found on an 1858 plat map. Just shows a black dot and "house". Other than that, the obligatory age indicators (lead, green copper, lantern junk, etc....). And a nuisance 1911 wheatie.

I know that coins post-dating 1800 bore the east coast guys. But for us here in CA, we have to take what we can get ! :laughing:

file.php

file.php
1700's, did anyone even make coinage back then? HaHa! Kansas was opened to settlement by the Kansas–Nebraska Act of 1854. In 1864 J. R. Mead opened a trading post on the site of Wichita.in 1865 Jesse Chisholm pioneered the Chisholm Trail and Wichita was first plotted during this same year and took off in the industrial age of the early mid 1900's, known as the Air Capital of the country. Forget 1700's finding a 1800's coin is a big challenge.

Thanx gang for all the nice comments !

Great dig. When that coin was minted, Spain was trying hard to hang on to her colonies in the Americas! That same year Mexico gained independence from Spain and Simon Bolivar was fighting in South America. It's amazing to think of the world in which that coin was lost.

Haha, yes, that's the EXACT thing I was thinking, the moment I saw the 1821 date. It was in Sept. of that year that Mexico gained her independence from Spain. So this was the final year of Spanish colonial rule over Mexico.

I was hoping that would make this a rare one. But alas, they are only in the $70 to $100-ish range. But fun to hold such cool historical provenance of alta CA mission period times.

What a beautiful Coin! ...I'm gonna google up 'Black dots on the map near me"! Those danged Wheaties! Besides them, You know what really sux? Canadian Pennies! They hit so crisp and succulent sounding! A guy thinks for sure its a Seated dime!:laughing:

Thanx everyone for the great comments. Everyone here as fellow-md'rs, can appreciate the strategy and history. To "touch history" that old, relative to their area.

I've seen a few other CA guys posting reales here lately. Namely the gold rush area guys. D/t reales continued to circulate in CA in the 1850s. And as they will attest: It's no easy feat for CA :cool:

What? No gold coins? Just a boring reale? I am sure I have a thousand of those things hidden under all of my Colonial copper and Large Cents. :sissyfight:

You know Tom I am not bored with that find. Actually very pleased to see a coin in that condition recovered by somebody that knows the history and respects it. Congrats on a great dig with the Reale and some pretty good research. I am though a little surprised that your trying to pass of that Zincoln as a 1911 Wheatie.:yes: Shame on you. Trapper

What? This has just got to be a west coast lie! :lol: Before long, we'll see metaladdict & Jamflicker posting the same exact 1821 2 Reale. :sissyfight:

Congrats! :hi5: Very, nice find, Tom!

Thanx everyone for enjoying this cool find with me. Loved all your comments and ribbing :lol: :sissyfight:

As much as I like to poke at you for what we find on the east coast. I still have not found spanish silver. Great find for any part of the US.

Back
Top Bottom