Need some advice on units

Wvuguy24

So im pretty new to this..i was at my dads house and he has a detector that he sent my kids outside with.. they needed help digging something up and needless to say i was hooked after lol

But im looking for GOOD budget units..like 300 or less to start out with..thanks!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Some good starting machines are the ACE 250, Tesoro Compadre (but better hurry, they may be going out of business), and Fisher 5.
A friend of mine found his first Seated silver dime with a Bounty Hunter, meaning that finding good stuff has as much to do with location and determination as it does with the type and quality of machine you get.

Some good starting machines are the ACE 250, Tesoro Compadre (but better hurry, they may be going out of business), and Fisher 5.
A friend of mine found his first Seated silver dime with a Bounty Hunter, meaning that finding good stuff has as much to do with location and determination as it does with the type and quality of machine you get.

What's a Fisher 5?

Find a used Garrett AT Pro or Minelab 705, all the machine you will need for a LONG time, beginner or expert.

Find a used Garrett AT Pro or Minelab 705, all the machine you will need for a LONG time, beginner or expert.

True Story:yes:
The prices on used detectors have really dropped. Great time for someone new to the hobby to buy one or for a backup.

My vote is for a used Whites M6. Whites is stellar in customer service! I own two M6 units. Very fast response and IDs coins like God. I bought my second one for $300. Great metal detector!

I believe a respected member here has a nib Minelab X=Terra 305 that he won in a club contest. If you're interested, I'll PM him for you(assuming he misses this thread). I'm sure he'd give you a good price since its Found Money to him and he typically runs an Excal.

I believe a respected member here has a nib Minelab X=Terra 305 that he won in a club contest. If you're interested, I'll PM him for you(assuming he misses this thread). I'm sure he'd give you a good price since its Found Money to him and he typically runs an Excal.

Sure! That'd be great

Used Minelab Explorer. The wonderful sound of flutes!

I love my Explorer, but have to comment that as a "beginner type machine", I don't recommend it. It's slow, visual ID on the screen requires more intuition than other machines, and the tones run most new owners away. I would have likely never gotten, and kept an Explorer, had I not been blessed with a patient mentor friend, who was a true master of the Explorer. JM2C

I love my Explorer, but have to comment that as a "beginner type machine", I don't recommend it. It's slow, visual ID on the screen requires more intuition than other machines, and the tones run most new owners away. I would have likely never gotten, and kept an Explorer, had I not been blessed with a patient mentor friend, who was a true master of the Explorer. JM2C
I started with a White’s DFX. Didn’t care for the classic “grunts” and lack of depth. When I changed to an Explorer, first thing I did was make a quick coin garden. Loved the tones. Picked it right up in about 15 minutes. Went out later and proceeded to dig 20+ silvers and oldies in the first five ours on my hard hit spot.
I will agree though, it’s not for everyone, but everyone I know that started with one has really appreciated it.

I started with a White’s DFX. Didn’t care for the classic “grunts” and lack of depth. When I changed to an Explorer, first thing I did was make a quick coin garden. Loved the tones. Picked it right up in about 15 minutes. Went out later and proceeded to dig 20+ silvers and oldies in the first five ours on my hard hit spot.
I will agree though, it’s not for everyone, but everyone I know that started with one has really appreciated it.

I never swung a DFX before but listened to one a couple of times. The M6 seems to be a cleaner machine in tones, plus Whites will repair the M6, quick and simple. I don't think the Explorer repairs are near as easy, if even possible. Likely so, since there is a stateside Minelab center now.

I have also added lots to my silver finds with my Explorer, it is a super machine on deep silver coins. Wonderful fluty silver tones, once you learn them.

I totally agree, the ML Explorer is not as user friendly as the AT or ML 705. But hey, anyone can learn to use the Explorer if they are willing to have patience with the learning curve.

So i just found a used bounty hunter 202 at a local pawn shop for 50 bucks.. anyone have any insight on this unit?

Run Forrest Run.

Tell us your price point and we'll tell you what to get. And at no pricepoint will we tell you a BH. Keep in mind that you will need a pinpointer- either Garrett or Minelab.

Back
Top Bottom