Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Deteknix
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Caches, Old Bottles, and other Treasures

Old 05-02-2019, 04:21 PM
Elite Member

Default More 2nd hand store gold

This past week not much going on so am hitting some 2nd hand stores. The white gold earrings are 10 kt, the pearl (which I LOVE) are 585/14kt. and the ring is 10kt. with small diamonds and emerald. Lady that had the ring said "everything in that case is fake" as soon as I saw it. I said "Oh no it isn't," only not aloud lol. All this for about $18.00 not too bad...
Attached Images

Old 05-02-2019, 07:13 PM
Supporter

WTG, nice finds!

AMC ruled in the 70s. For a very short time.

Old 05-02-2019, 07:18 PM
Supporter

Outstanding finds Gale! Hey!...Heres something along these lines I 'forgot' to post...

There was a local "Church Garage Sale" a few weeks ago just down the street, the Wife headed on over there and bought this bag of goods for $5! Silver! Gold! Jade! Emeralds! Vintage jewelry!

All of the stuff you see here SHE got for $5!

She of course rubbed my nose in it very much bigly and ordered me to post her finds for all my 'Crummy Metal Detecting friends' as a witness to their dirt hunting time wasting foolishness....I completely forgot about it until now.....

This kind of deal really messes up a dirt hunters mind, can drive a fellow insane...which I believe is the point...

Yet, like what you found yourself, as a PSA, "Theres all sorts of Gold and Silver out there waiting to be found and not all of it is lost in the dirt"..So hey, $5 paper for a whole years haul for a decent coilist is worth consideration....
Attached Images

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

Old 05-02-2019, 10:32 PM
Elite Member

Nice score!!!!

Old 05-03-2019, 12:33 AM
Supporter

Great finds just the same!

Old 05-03-2019, 05:16 AM

As the old saying goes Gold ( silver) is where you find it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-03-2019, 06:22 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Mud-puppy View post
Outstanding finds Gale! Hey!...Heres something along these lines I 'forgot' to post...

There was a local "Church Garage Sale" a few weeks ago just down the street, the Wife headed on over there and bought this bag of goods for $5! Silver! Gold! Jade! Emeralds! Vintage jewelry!

She of course rubbed my nose in it very much bigly and ordered me to post her finds for all my 'Crummy Metal Detecting friends' as a witness to their dirt hunting time wasting foolishness....I completely forgot about it until now.....

This kind of deal really messes up a dirt hunters mind, can drive a fellow insane...which I believe is the point...

Yet, like what you found yourself, as a PSA, "Theres all sorts of Gold and Silver out there waiting to be found and not all of it is lost in the dirt"..So hey, $5 paper for a whole years haul for a decent coilist is worth consideration....
Wow that is an awesome find right there. If it is too hot or some other reason I look for my treasures like your wife does, and I'm not getting all dirty and sweaty doing so. Too bad the 2nd earring wasn't there it looks pretty.....WTG wifey!!!

Old 05-03-2019, 08:01 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by aviationgale View post
This past week not much going on so am hitting some 2nd hand stores. The white gold earrings are 10 kt, the pearl (which I LOVE) are 585/14kt. and the ring is 10kt. with small diamonds and emerald. Lady that had the ring said "everything in that case is fake" as soon as I saw it. I said "Oh no it isn't," only not aloud lol. All this for about $18.00 not too bad...

Wow Gale.. your Prowess to Sniff out the Goods are turning out to be Legendary !! Excellent finds as usual.

Mud.. your wife deserves a belly rub for that one

2018 Totals Gold (7), Silver Coins (17) Wheats (39) Rings (38)
2019 Totals Gold (1), Silver Coins (12) Wheats (65) Rings (16) Oldest Coin 1893 IHP

Old 05-03-2019, 01:50 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by SoOregonMd View post
Wow Gale.. your Prowess to Sniff out the Goods are turning out to be Legendary !! Excellent finds as usual.

Mud.. your wife deserves a belly rub for that one
I bought my first piece of sterling jewelry in the 2nd grade, still have it. And really haven't stopped, for whatever reason I can usually spot the "good" stuff.

Old 05-03-2019, 04:00 PM
Elite Member

Congrats on the nice saves!

Old 05-04-2019, 08:21 AM
Elite Member

nice score there WTG!!!

best finds to date - 1821 capped bust dime ,1853 seated quarter, (2) 1891 seated dimes, 1874 seated dime, 1887 seated dime love token , 1777 half reale ,1805 drapped bust largie, 1914 barber half dollar,1812 classic head largie, 1864 2 cent piece,(1909 barber half dollar with a 1934 walker half dollar in the same hole together)1952 ben franklin half dollar

Old 05-15-2019, 01:17 PM

Inspiring finds. Im going to start looking more carefully. By the way, is there anyway of telling silver without the 925 stamp?

Old 05-16-2019, 09:40 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by eldoradomick View post
Inspiring finds. Im going to start looking more carefully. By the way, is there anyway of telling silver without the 925 stamp?

Even some silver stamped 925 isn't real silver, its tough to spot solid silver if you dont have an eye for it. Plated stuff can look like the real deal, a close inspection of the object can help clear up any doubt. After handling silver for so long, you get a sense of what it should look like, feel like, and sell for. BUT if everything your buying is for pennies on the dollar, its worth the gamble if its marked IMO. Unfortunately, the earrings and small rings don't amount to much, but over time, it adds up fast! She certainly MADE money from that transaction, and that's what we all strive for in the end usually. I should really start doing the same, many flea markets up here, consignment shops too. Great job Gale! Good luck and happy hunting!

☆Oldest Coin FTY:1723 Woods Hibernia☆

Old 05-19-2019, 07:54 PM
Athletic Supporter

Originally Posted by aviationgale View post
Nice! I gotta get out and do this.

R5

Old 05-27-2019, 07:21 PM
Elite Member

Thank you. Too hot to metal detect, and taking a break (injury) anyway so hey why not try and find some good stuff.

Last edited by aviationgale; 05-28-2019 at 08:25 AM.

Old 05-31-2019, 01:14 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by eldoradomick View post

Certainly. Get yourself a hand held XRF analyzer. A decent one may only set you back a couple grand.

AMC ruled in the 70s. For a very short time.

Old 06-07-2019, 06:25 PM
Supporter

It pays to keep your eyes open! good job guys!