• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Ultrasonic coin cleaning?

ChrisnAmanda1

Elite Member
Been finding rings and buttons and other shiny things lately and was thinking about getting an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner but was wondering if anyone used one to clean coins. It sure seems a lot more gentle than a rock tumbler but would it do a better job??

Bought an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner for my wife last Christmas. I was hoping it would do a nice job on dug coins. frankly, it doesn't do much. Knocks off some of the surface crud, but I'm not impressed.

Save the ultrasonic cleaner for gold jewelry and non-salt water beach silver. A tumbler is a much better choice for dug coins.

I tried a ultrasonic cleaner on dug coins and it might knock off the loose dirt but it will not clean coins. I use a tumbler. Harbor Freight has one that isn't too expensive. I use a rotary one with two drums. My son uses a vibrating tumbler and has good luck with it. My credit union coin counter is quite selective in what it will accept so I have to make sure that my coins are nice and clean.

I have a decent, "industrial" type ultrasonic cleaner. It works great for some things, but not great for cleaning crusty coins. I have cleaned some wheat pennies with it, and by the time it takes to clean the crud off, they start to get pitted, and end up worse than tumbling. I do like it for cleaning rusty stuff or jewelry, glasses, and other things.
Here's some rusty stuff I ran over the last couple days. The scissors are actually usable now, and look pretty cool!

Attachments

• DSCN0245.jpg
    DSCN0245.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 523
  • DSCN0322 (2).jpg
    DSCN0322 (2).jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 497
  • DSCN0324.jpg
    DSCN0324.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 481
Wow I just saw all these replies. Thank you everyone for tge input. I have a cheap hobby lobby tumbler that does ok but its picky with to much weight. As many rings as we're finding tho I might still pick up a cleaner. Thanks again for the input!

Back
Top Bottom