Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Cleaning Your Finds

Old 05-13-2019, 09:18 PM
Elite Member

Default Ultrasonic coin cleaning?

Been finding rings and buttons and other shiny things lately and was thinking about getting an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner but was wondering if anyone used one to clean coins. It sure seems a lot more gentle than a rock tumbler but would it do a better job??

Rings 11. Gold Rings:1. Silver Rings:6.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:20 AM
Elite Member

Bought an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner for my wife last Christmas. I was hoping it would do a nice job on dug coins. frankly, it doesn't do much. Knocks off some of the surface crud, but I'm not impressed.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:39 AM
Administrator

Save the ultrasonic cleaner for gold jewelry and non-salt water beach silver. A tumbler is a much better choice for dug coins.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Never, under any circumstances, take a laxative and a sleeping pill, on the same night.

Old 05-17-2019, 09:21 PM
Elite Member

I tried a ultrasonic cleaner on dug coins and it might knock off the loose dirt but it will not clean coins. I use a tumbler. Harbor Freight has one that isn't too expensive. I use a rotary one with two drums. My son uses a vibrating tumbler and has good luck with it. My credit union coin counter is quite selective in what it will accept so I have to make sure that my coins are nice and clean.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:13 PM
Supporter

I have a decent, "industrial" type ultrasonic cleaner. It works great for some things, but not great for cleaning crusty coins. I have cleaned some wheat pennies with it, and by the time it takes to clean the crud off, they start to get pitted, and end up worse than tumbling. I do like it for cleaning rusty stuff or jewelry, glasses, and other things.
Here's some rusty stuff I ran over the last couple days. The scissors are actually usable now, and look pretty cool!
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2019, 06:22 PM
Elite Member

Wow I just saw all these replies. Thank you everyone for tge input. I have a cheap hobby lobby tumbler that does ok but its picky with to much weight. As many rings as we're finding tho I might still pick up a cleaner. Thanks again for the input!

Rings 11. Gold Rings:1. Silver Rings:6.