• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

AT Pro VDI test. 10k ring and square pulltab, or, why to dig pulltabs

pryan67

Forum Supporter
Did an air test of these two items.

Interestingly enough, both came up with a solid 53 VDI on my AT Pro. If you skip pulltabs, you're missing out on gold.

Not that I've found gold yet....but I HAVE found hundreds of pull tabs....the gold is out there, just waiting for me to free it from the bonds of the Earth.

Attachments

• IMG_0716.jpg
    IMG_0716.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 704
This is the ultimate irony of metal detecting.

I only hope that sometime soon I get to find one of those odd pull tabs that are marked 10k or 14k or 18k, are round, and maybe have a gemstone attached :)

Going hunting for a lost ring this weekend actually...one that I've tried for before, but now that I have the AT Pro, I'm more hopeful

Did an air test of these two items.

Interestingly enough, both came up with a solid 53 VDI on my AT Pro. If you skip pulltabs, you're missing out on gold.

Not that I've found gold yet....but I HAVE found hundreds of pull tabs....the gold is out there, just waiting for me to free it from the bonds of the Earth.

If you move the coil around your target the pulltab vdi will usually go up and or down. Gold rings do not move the vdi number..at least thats what I've found, of course my gold rings weren't deep. For me maybe 3 inches max?

If you move the coil around your target the pulltab vdi will usually go up and or down. Gold rings do not move the vdi number..at least thats what I've found, of course my gold rings weren't deep. For me maybe 3 inches max?

I'll have to try that...I just waved each one under the coil.

metaladdict is on the right track. Location can also play a big part in improving your ring to tab ratio, but watching for a good constant VDI from all directions helps a lot. One of the reasons I prefer a detector with as many target ID segments I can get. Higher target ID resolution means more accuracy and showing a jumpy VDI on tabs and solid on rings.

metaladdict is on the right track. Location can also play a big part in improving your ring to tab ratio, but watching for a good constant VDI from all directions helps a lot. One of the reasons I prefer a detector with as many target ID segments I can get. Higher target ID resolution means more accuracy and showing a jumpy VDI on tabs and solid on rings.

Yep location and luck seem to be it.
I was looking for a gold ring a few years back at a beach swimming pool with grass. Its been around since 1970. Anyway it has hundreds if pulltabs there which make double beeps, some make the vdi read 53,54,55,56. But I hit a solid sounding and steady 53 and it was a 14k gold ring! I want to include some of the pulltabs also make a scratch noise before or after the coil goes over it.
Happy hunting!

Just to chime in... that dreaded 53 reveals many targets.

A 53 when coin shooting can be a nickel, pull tap a gold or platinum ring.

A 53 when hunting the woods can be a smaller 200 year old flat button, bullet or spent casing.

We have to dig them all. :yes:

Just to chime in... that dreaded 53 reveals many targets.

A 53 when coin shooting can be a nickel, pull tap a gold or platinum ring.

A 53 when hunting the woods can be a smaller 200 year old flat button, bullet or spent casing.

We have to dig them all. :yes:

If I could invent a machine that could distinguish between the pull tabs and everything else, I'd be a millionaire :)

Gold varies depending on alloy and size.
It can read anywhere from iron up to a zinc penny.
A ring will normally give a nice crisp signal compared to most trash,
But a smashed charm or broken ring is more likely to be a funky signal.
Eddy currents that our machines depend on like a round shape.

Finding jewelry in the dirt comes down to a mix of............
Location, Luck, and persistently digging junk in the right spot! :workforgold:

Gold varies depending on alloy and size.
It can read anywhere from iron up to a zinc penny.
A ring will normally give a nice crisp signal compared to most trash,
But a smashed charm or broken ring is more likely to be a funky signal.
Eddy currents that our machines depend on like a round shape.

Finding jewelry in the dirt comes down to a mix of............
Location, Luck, and persistently digging junk in the right spot! :workforgold:

These two items though sounded identical to me...and both were solid, repeatable 53s

I agree with the mix you listed...unless, of course, you have a Nox, in which case it doesn't matter where you're digging, or how lucky you are, or even if you're digging in the right spot....gold will be there :)

These two items though sounded identical to me...and both were solid, repeatable 53s

I agree with the mix you listed...unless, of course, you have a Nox, in which case it doesn't matter where you're digging, or how lucky you are, or even if you're digging in the right spot....gold will be there :)

I do have a nox(two of em), i can ussually tell when it is a pulltab, i have dug lots of junk copper rings too. I know that doesnt help since you have the at pro but i do know you cannot dig what is not there. I have dug one gold item, and its not solid gold, but i never exspected to dig up a piece of gold anything where i am hunting here in rockford, exept for maybe the river sandbars, maybe. If you want gold, i think you need to get in the water or at least to the beach, or wander the dessert or stream beds for nuggets(but not here in IL). I just got back from a trip to WI, brought my metal detector but did not use it when we were out on the lake sandbar, and im kicking myself because as soon as i got back to the dock a guy told me he lost his wedding ring. But we are headed back there next year and im dedicating a whole day or 2 mornings to detecting this sandbar. Litterally all people do is drink and party at this sandbar, and they have so much money, the guy who lost the gold ring was like oh well its not worth much. Ne ways, i hope ya get a gold this year dirt hunting. Best of luck to you.

Back
Top Bottom