Possible Honey Hole..?

sweendog

Last night after work, I still managed to have about 45 mins of light left so I decided to try this empty lot i've been doing a bit o' research on that was demolished in the the 1970's and originally built in the 1920's

So I get out there and stare at my compadre and F2, thinking which weapon will better suit the task at hand. Decide to roll with the F2, turn it on, notch out iron, take 2 steps, 1980 zincoln. Take 2 steps, 1988 zincoln, 2 more, 4 1980-1988 zincolns. Could it be? A grave yard of pennies?

I laugh it off and find the old sidewalk and head over to what would be the front porch area. Swing, 1969 nickel, swing, pulltab, swing, 1979 penny, swing 1968 penny, swing 1988 penny.

Found a few more pull tabs and started getting violated by mosquitoes and making my way back to the car. I turned my F2 off and started to walk back and then I remembered how many people up here always swing on the way back to the car; so walk about 25 feet to the car and found around .15 more in 4 different holes before I finally said to myself that I'd never make it home at this rate so turned off the MD and ended the hunt for the what was now night.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE finding clad no matter what denomination but the coins are so close it looks like somebody just had a trash bag full of coins and cut a hole in the bottom and walked around. All my plugs were 2-6 feet apart.
I haven't found anything pre 1969 yet. BUT I did find a square nail about 5 or so inches down before I left which is promising for the possibility of silver.:excited:

Granted I was only out there for 45 mins, I found .28 mostly being pennies. Has anybody else ever had a place where it was like this? I can't wait to hit it again, not as trashy as I thought it was going to be...so far anyway.

I've detected several parks. One of them is a penny graveyard. Pennies EVERYWHERE. Every time I go, there is a bagful of pennies by the end of the day. Granted, the park is used ALOT....but heck....I'm gonna call it Penny Park from now on. :)

Is it just me or does it sort of take away from the thrill of it when you're finding clad every few steps? Sure, clad is great, but I feel like I'm wasting my time when it's all I'm digging and it doesn't seem to stop... call me crazy..

Is it just me or does it sort of take away from the thrill of it when you're finding clad every few steps? Sure, clad is great, but I feel like I'm wasting my time when it's all I'm digging and it doesn't seem to stop... call me crazy..

I'm always happy to find silver, clad or not, but I agree that it gets frustrating to waste precious minutes digging up half-rotten zincoln cents, especially when you're losing daylight and have a lot of ground to cover.

I just try to enjoy the hunt and stay positive - the next signal could be the one I've been waiting for...

I have a park where after the first hour I stop digging zinc signals and just dig solid nickel and high tones.

Sure I'm missing stuff but come on I ain't retired yet so time is limited and no silver dime or quarter rings in at 75.

I'm always happy to find silver, clad or not, but I agree that it gets frustrating to waste precious minutes digging up half-rotten zincoln cents, especially when you're losing daylight and have a lot of ground to cover.

I just try to enjoy the hunt and stay positive - the next signal could be the one I've been waiting for...

Good point. I"m the same way.

I agree. It did start to get frustrating trying to find pretty much black zincolns my the light of my pin pointer. But like you guys said, its a whole lot better than digging trash. And I always hope to find the silver!

My family and I found a 'penny park', too. We started detecting a grassy slope below a parking lot and hit a zincoln mine. Great fun! Went back over several days for around an hour each time: Day 1: 33 pennies, Day 2: 39 pennies, Day 3: 32 pen + 1 quarter, Day 4: 22 pen + 1 Nickel +5 dimes, Day 5: 12 pennies + 1 quarter. These were all found on or around the parking lot. These were all at 3 inches or less. (We have to go back and dig the deeper signals soon!) I thought at first that someone simply chucked a jar of pennies into the grass. However, on analyizing the ground, I think that people don't bother to pick up their dropped pennies; plus they blend in more with the ground/gravel than silver clad. The coins were concentrated in areas where rain water runs off the parking lot. So I think the coins were washed off the parking lot over the years and concentrated in the run-off areas. I tried out that theory by searching a gully by another parking lot and did find a few coins but nothing like the honey hole.

I cleaned up over 300 coins from hobo camps in one of my AO's. Figuring that there would be bottle caps and trash everywhere I've always avoided the place. Hardly any trash under the ground at all, just coins everywhere. Depths were predominately very shallow and I ended up using my propointer to scan areas. Just popping them out one after another. Many small caches of 5- 10 coins in the immediate area, some intentionally hidden, some scattered in a couple square feet.
I had a few surprises including this grouping of four foreign coins. England, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, England. All from the 1990's, it looks like somebody was in the service?
treasure3-1.jpg

I think I jinxed myself. I went out yesterday for almost an hour before the rain came in and pulled 8 pull tabs, nail, copper wire and can slaw. No clad. Total bummer.

Back
Top Bottom