• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Colorado

gmelton

So...the wife is taking a few days off at the end of the month, she suggested we go somewhere, in state, me with the detector and her with a book. Seeing that we live right next to Denver, and the 250 isnt a prospecting machine, I cant really think of anywhere Id wanna go. Unless we camp downtown and I do some night hunting while that librarian is sleeping snug in her bed lol. Any suggestions?

The eastern plains are absolutely covered with abandoned communities and ghost towns. PM me and I can make some suggestions.

The wife is not the camping type lol....If it were just me, Id be all over old campsites. Ive had some decent luck at a couple local campgrounds, mostly clad. Thought about going to a ski area and hunting around the lifts...dunno if thats allowed though.

There are a bunch of abandoned mining towns/ghost towns if the middle of the state (mountains) as well. Take your camera, too!!!

Dusty

I was wondering, are there any laws about detecting in those ghost towns..

If it's National Forest Land, generally no unless there is some historical significance to the area such as a marker, monument, etc. Ya just can't go in any abandoned mines due to the bat disease fungus that humans help spread.....

Dusty

Maybe I should come to Colorado to md, as well as focus my job search there.

How does CO. feel about just good ole boy Texans these days, years ago friends in CO. used to kid me.

I'm a native Texan myself (San Antonio). 90% of the RVs you see in my town have Texas plates. The only time I run into any kidding is during football season (Dallas vs Denver). The pace of life in my area (south central CO) is MUCH slower than it was in Texas.

The Denver metro area and Colorado Springs area are different stories, though.

Dusty

Sorry I got called away this weekend. Here are my suggestions for places to hit. These were on my list, but are further north for me.

Bashor - East of Brighton in what is now the Horse Creek Reservoir. It is known that a post office existed there from 1909 to 1918. Just east of I-76 on the Adams-Weld county line.

Kiowa - Was a stage coach station on the Smoky Hill North stage route. Located East of Bennett just north of US route 36. You're going to have to look for evidence of foundations, as none of the buildings still exist.

Wattenburg - Established in 1909 as a terminal on the Denver, Laramie and Northwestern railroad, which went bankrupt. It was bought by the Great Western railroad and operated by them from 1917 to 1947.

Sligo - Established in 1887 and named after a town in Ireland by workers on the Colorado & Wyoming railroad, Sligo sat where County Road 112 crosses County Road 95. If you check in the prairie grass at that intersection you should find the foundations, but no buildings remain. There is a cemetery from the town a mile east of the intersection.

Hope that gives you some ideas and gets you started.

stay out of clear creek canyon! it is not obviously posted yet the state patrol loves to sit at missionary flats, cruising around looking for out of state'rs and the uninformed....

Doc I live in the 10 acre housing development just south of horse creek Res. I would be interested in knowing where you got your information because I'm curious would could of been on my land. Currently I just ignore iron tones but maybe I should check them out

I think if it were me I would go high up into the mountains, the weather is so nice up here. Since you are on a double date you may want to check where in the mountains the other half would like to spend some time. Some of the mining districts turn up some very interesting artifacts from before the turn of the century and who knows what you might uncover. It is just so darn hot everywhere else.

Off the top of my head I would check this out:

http://www.mtprinceton.com/

http://geosurvey.state.co.us/minera...ges/ChaffeeCountyHistoricMiningDistricts.aspx

http://geosurvey.state.co.us/minera...ChaffeeHMD/Documents/Chalk Creek District.pdf

The last link talks about the history starting in 1875.

Back
Top Bottom