Memorial Day Hunt to remember.....

AlinMN

Elite Member
Got out for two hours on Memorial day after attending a graduation party. Hit a park that I have hunted a few times that has a lot of clad. It seems that the area was a low area that had been filled to make a ball field and a park. When I open plugs I can see in some places layers of clay above black dirt, which is a sign of filling and leveling. Usually I find one or two silver dimes and one or two wheats and a bunch of clad. I have also found my oldest coin an 1867 two cent piece here. The strange thing is that in this park I have found an old wire tricycle wheel, several car parts, a car battery cable, etc.:?: Why are they out in a park where cars don't drive or park? I think the town might have used the dirt from the streets or yards to fill the park when they paved the towns roads or made sidewalks. Coin depth here makes no sense. Old coins 2-4 inches deep and clad quarters and memorials 6-8 inches sometimes.

This hunt I didn't find even one wheat penny, but I did find a silver quarter, 1954, the first silver quarter for this park, I also found a foot broken off of something that looks like cast iron.

Then I found a pocket watch, a first for me, too bad the face was broken.
So I kept going finding a lot of junk, an address tag from someone from Minneapolis, MN over a hundred miles away from home, a Schwinn bicycle tag, what looks like an aluminum measuring cup of some sort, this is the second one I have found here. Maybe someone knows if that's what it is?

IMG_5142.jpg

IMG_5143 (800x600).jpg

And then I got a strong 1-43, 1-44 on the Etrac :yikes: :shock: and I thought, no, it can't be, I've only seen this number once before on my etrac...:hmmm::nah:

So I dig.....:digginahole:

And this is what I find:

707 (717x800).jpg

An 1899-O Morgan silver Dollar. I never thought when I started detecting that I would find one, but now the eye popping thing for me is that this is my second one!:kingdances: :excited: :woohoo:
I found one in 2011 an 1897 morgan. I was actually hoping it was a peace dollar since I haven't found one of them yet, but nah, I'll take a morgan any day!
Here is another picture of the two hour hunt finds:

IMG_5140 (800x600).jpg

That's totally righteous!!!:shock:
I almost gave up after I read about your silver quarter, then BAM there was the Morgan.
Nice recovery

Congrats on Morgan #2!!!! WOW!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WOWWWWWWW!!!! awesome!!!!!
So jealous......I found one last night ....in my dream.......
Nice work....How deep was she?

Absolutely AWESOME! I haven't found one yet, but it's up there at the top of my "bucket list," along with a gold coin. Meanwhile, you've dug TWO!!! AWESOME job!

Steve

I've not yet found a coin from the 1800's or a silver dollar, when I do I'd sure be happy if I find them at the same time like you! Way to stick with a slow park, gives me a lot of encouragement not to give up seeing your finds, congratulations, you earned that one!!!

Back
Top Bottom