Molten finds

Slvrpkr

I come across molten aluminum frequently; I suppose it is from old campfires where cans were just tossed into the fire. Lead also appears at times but am stumped with the latest find. It is non-ferrous, dull dark gray in appearance, very hard, very heavy, smooth on one side and rough on the other, oval in shape and can be scratched (with difficulty) to a very bright metallic finish.
anyone with ideas?

I come across molten aluminum frequently; I suppose it is from old campfires where cans were just tossed into the fire. Lead also appears at times but am stumped with the latest find. It is non-ferrous, dull dark gray in appearance, very hard, very heavy, smooth on one side and rough on the other, oval in shape and can be scratched (with difficulty) to a very bright metallic finish.
anyone with ideas?

I've found at least half a dozen lumps like that. I think they are some type of pewter (the mostly lead type, and sometimes some silver can be in there).
Or some other lead alloy.
Probably worth keeping. I've saved mine and have a few ounces.

I was at an old school yard that has all kinds of molten lead. I thought about checking it for silver as there is lot's of it there. I'm not sure why though. It's too spread out to be from fires.

Could be from an area where plumbing parts were being pre fabricated before installation. Back in the day lead was used to seal plumbing and also gutters. I've also found areas like that, they sure ring up nicely.

Could be from an area where plumbing parts were being pre fabricated before installation. Back in the day lead was used to seal plumbing and also gutters. I've also found areas like that, they sure ring up nicely.

I don't know why I didn't think of that, but you just answered my often occurring question...

Why in the hell are these lead drippings here?

Thanks!

<*)))>{

Sounds about right.

The stuff I think slvpkr is talking about is a lot harder than lead and the color of the patina is different, but about the same density. It may be some alloy with lead.

The spot price of lead is about 85 cents and you can sell it for about 30% of the spot price, so if you have LOT of it, you can make some money. Just sayin'.

Maybe Zinc, like an old car door handle ? just another guess for you, but that would be harder than lead, and still quite easy to melt, and plausible too.

the area where the smooth lump was found is where motorcycle riders and joy riders used to ride and party. No industrial activity was ever done here. Have found lots of clutch and break levers, old beer and soda cans, bottles,bullets, some tools, bolts, screws, few coins but only the one piece of molten metal.

Back
Top Bottom