A Great Week Of So Cal Finds - 18 Silvers Including A Huge Interesting Silver Ring And A Large Pile Of Wheats

Jamflicker

Elite Member
Hey everyone,
I was able to get out and do some detecting last week after a week of no detecting. I got out four times, two short that produced only wheats and a silver ring and two all day hunts that produced most of the finds.

I spent the first all day hunt at two old parks and found 8 silver coins and 21 wheat pennies. I was shocked to find that much at those two parks as they have been pounded.

Then on Sunday I met up with my buddies Dan (Raphis) and John for the first time in a while because I have been out of town and busy with little league. I headed to a park we have been pounding for a while and found a hot spot that we never really hit that hard. I ended up finding 9 pieces of silver (5 coins and 4 pieces of jewelry) and 44 wheat pennies. One of the rings I found weighted 20.8 grams and had been hit by a lawnmower or something as the back was ripped off and it is the largest silver ring I have ever found. The ring looked like it was painted or something and took some soaking in lemon juice then a good polish with the dremel to clean up. Anyone have any idea who the image on the ring is? Some guesses from my posts on facebook and instagram where Louie Armstrong, Howdy Doody, James Brown, and Alfred E. Newman. I also found my first sterling Jewish Mezuzah pendant.

So for the week I ended up with 18 pieces of silver (13 silver coins and 5 silver jewelry items) and 76 wheat pennies. This brings be to 74 silver coins, 13 pieces of silver jewelry, and 346 wheat pennies for the year.

Jason

Attachments

• IMG_5844.jpg
    IMG_5844.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 547
  • IMG_5831.jpg
    IMG_5831.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 547
  • IMG_5838.jpg
    IMG_5838.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 551
  • IMG_5812.jpg
    IMG_5812.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 548
  • IMG_5841.jpg
    IMG_5841.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 552
  • IMG_5801.jpg
    IMG_5801.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 544
  • IMG_5810.jpg
    IMG_5810.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 545
  • IMG_5811.jpg
    IMG_5811.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 541
Super haul!
That fat ring is great! Though the face is disturbing enough to file it offšŸ–
congrats!

If I can get over the envy of all that silver and old copper, I'd like to say, Congrats! ;) The ring looks like Alfred E. Newman to me from a distance, but in one of the closer pics it looks like President Jimmy Carter. I'm a lot of help, aren't I? :lol:

Those were some awesome hunts you had, Jason!! It doesn't get much better than the week you had for oldies in S. Cal.

The one park we hit over the weekend is one of those "special" parks. A major oldies producer!

I'm still thinking James Brown on your ring...:yes: That's a honker too!!

Congrats on all your oldies! You earned every one of them!

It's time to change your avatar...I think you know what it needs to be now...:laughing:

HH,
Raphis
Dan

Unreal picking there Jam! Makes a guy wonder how much more is REALLY in those pounded places,eh? It makes ME wonder every time I go back somewhere and...TA-DA! There it is,obviously been there the whole time...how did I miss it..well........to cover EVERYTHING down to the depth of the very edge of a machines capabilities is a difficult proposition,a lot can be missed,and obviously is. The good news is....there's a good possibility a guy can keep going to the same places for a very long time and still come home with stuff. You're walking proof of that. Nice work!

Wow, everything about this post blows me away, I do not know if I would have the mental stamina and focus to hunt all day like you do. I would prob just curl up In a ball on the ground and start sobbing after 5 hours of intense focus.
If anyone sees a guy just sitting on a park bench with his face in his hands , and a smashed and bent up detector scattered about , I attempted this amaizing endeavor . And failed! If you see me in my underwear and there is a gmc suburban crashed into the teeter totter then I may have attempted two days in a row! Wow! HH , Dew

+1 great work !
DEW low and slow , you got this , I see lots of silver coming your way.
HH Ricki

On second thaught! If you see me in that situation?
Please stop ! Find my jacket and get my phone out. call my wife and tell her to come get me, then lead me , yes in my underwear is fine, to the sand box. Pull a couple sod filled hot wheels out of my jacket pocket and leave me there .
PS. Tell me the sticky chunks of sand are not clay! And I should not eat it!
This may or may not have happened before , thanks again

Great Finds!
Need to know if there are any marks on the inside of the ring to assist with identification.
Would love to find out who that really is.

Back
Top Bottom