Day 525 - Five Targets w/new Sov

Ra1der5

Athletic Supporter
Forum Supporter
Forgive me Forum for I have sinned. It's been two weeks since my last hunt.

My bride agreed to a "used" Sov GT off Ebay for Christmas. It arrived on Thursday and aside from a few minor scuffs on the shaft, it is brand new! I used the following Sov GT Setup to get used to the tones and today, off to the beach I went. I love my wife!

High tide was roughly at noon, so I was on the beach by 2:30 to follow it out. The threshold hum and nulling are an interesting experience. The iron threshold is the most annoying sound; there's a reason iron sounds ugly (no offense relic hunters) so I re-establish the tone with my scoop.

I dug a couple nulls to confirm the target. Other than that, over 2.5 hours, I dug only three more good signals in the wet sand; one quarter and two dimes. BUT, one of those signals gave me a null, returned with a couple low tones, then nulled again. I scraped away a couple inches of sand, found myself in a dense shell layer, and got a good repeatable signal. Four more scoops, about 10" down (was it down 10" or did I lose it in the hole) there she was:

image.jpg

Glad to see another GT owner. You will really "dig" that machine. If you followed that setup guide you should know that running in auto is for beginners. You are not a beginner except for that machine. Lose the auto setting. Run your sens as high as you can without falsing. As you rotate out of auto the more clockwise the lower your depth. It is turning it down in other words. With the stock coil you should be able to set it about 12 or 11 o'clock.

About the null tone. The low growl is your friend. Turn your threshold really low so it does not bother you. That is the correct setting. If it is bothering you then it is too high. The reason it is your friend is because if you set the sens correctly for no falsing and pass over a good DEEP target while it is growling then you will know you just passed a target because you get a new tone. Real deep targets might need you to go into pin point to be sure they are there. If your tone is always high and you pass a deep high target you won't know since there will not be a tone change. In that case you get a quick blank then the same tone. The low growl helps find deep targets.

Glad to see another GT owner. You will really "dig" that machine. If you followed that setup guide you should know that running in auto is for beginners. You are not a beginner except for that machine.

You are absolutely right. I just need to learn the language. It's a fun machine, but a different beast. It will be my best friend in two weeks, but for now I just needed to learn the tones. I know I'll get better depth when setting my own sens.

Thought for a second you bought your bride a used sov gt:lol: Save any cracked gold rings you find to test. They can give some weird sounds. Don't remember ever running my sov in auto. Did my Excalibur for about a week. Never did again.

Nice job on the merc! I'll be watching your threads closely, I'm about to send in some gold and get a Sovereign of my own so I look forward to watching your progression of mastering the GT. Good luck and HH.

what coil or coils did u get with that new heater.???

:mder:It has the stock 10" Tornado. I'm researching the 15" WOT vs. the 12x15 SEF and having a hard time getting onto the Detech site to see the SEF specs. A few people commented on the weight of the WOT (766gm) but I'm finding posts on other forums and SEF reviews saying it is heavier (840gm).

:signals:I used my Garrett headphones yesterday (only ones I had with a 1/4" plug). I watched your vid on headphones and your preference for the Gray Ghost. I contacted OBN and he was kind enough to build a set of Skullies for me. The guy knows his audio!

you have a heater to justify it.

just hold on - u are in for some surprises.

auto............. :( - try it around 6 or so.

There still aren't many rocks showing on the beach and that's when the T-Rex really comes in handy. Wish I brought the beast yesterday; I wouldn't have had to dig four scoops to get that Merc. I put a fiberglass handle on it... Much better, but I need to add some tape to grip.

You are absolutely right. I just need to learn the language. It's a fun machine, but a different beast. It will be my best friend in two weeks, but for now I just needed to learn the tones. I know I'll get better depth when setting my own sens.

Take it out of auto as Greg said its a beginner setting... the tones are way different out of auto...

These are the settings I use.. I set them and forget them...

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 248
Glad to see another GT owner. You will really "dig" that machine. If you followed that setup guide you should know that running in auto is for beginners. You are not a beginner except for that machine. Lose the auto setting.

auto............. :( - try it around 6 or so.

Take it out of auto as Greg said its a beginner setting... the tones are way different out of auto...

Forgive me forum for I have sinned. It has been one day since my last confession.

My sin? Uh... I ran my GT sensitivity in auto.

Huh? Oh no, no I just... yeah, I understand but... no, I just wanted to... Penance? Listen to the iron threshold for a week? Can't I just do some kind of community service?

:heartylaugh:

Forgive me forum for I have sinned. It has been one day since my last confession.

My sin? Uh... I ran my GT sensitivity in auto.

Huh? Oh no, no I just... yeah, I understand but... no, I just wanted to... Penance? Listen to the iron threshold for a week? Can't I just do some kind of community service?

:heartylaugh:

Run it in auto on my beach and I'll get 3 inches more than you do :laughing:

I don't know if Iron Mask was mentioned in that link you put up but keep iron mask turned on... turning it off is another kindergarten setting :lol:

Well dang buddy!!! With you and Dale swinging GTs I may as well just hang it up until I get one!! ;):D Nice Merc, a Main Beach find?

Well dang buddy!!! With you and Dale swinging GTs I may as well just hang it up until I get one!! ;):D Nice Merc, a Main Beach find?

You had a few gold rings this year. You're doin' fine without a Sov. :D

Nope... not main beach.

Good to see you lurking. :shock:

I have the WOT and a Sunray S12.

Usually run the WOT but wanted the S12 as a backup. Super light and pinpoints well. Have another on my excal.

I never used the factory 10 so I can comment on the difference.

The WOT isn't that bad unless you will be swinging for more than 4 hours. I ran it for 6 and it was my limit.

I use Craig's settings and they work well for me.

I plan on building the waterproof setup for it in the next few weeks.

It is my wet sand go to detector for sure.

Dry I use the Vaquero with the cleansweep coil supertuned.

Water is the excal.

Back
Top Bottom