Surprise Revealed! The Force is With Me on the 1st Hunt!

FelixtheCat

A Moderating Knight of the Round Coil
Super Mod
Forum Supporter
Ok, I was going to wait on making the call whether to ‘Nox or not but ultimately decided on getting it sooner rather than later since I sold my CZ for a nice amount. This is the 1st new, out of the box detector I have purchased since the Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 I got from Radio Shack in 2006 when I first started this hobby.

‘Nox outta the box:
I was surprised at the lack of a manual or at least a DVD disc with it. (Yes you can get it on-line). What I do find ridiculous is the lack of a USB charger designed for it. They give you instructions on getting a 2.0 amp good quality Samsung or Apple charger. :roll: Well after looking at all my USB’s I have a Samsung at 1.5A. I guess my charges will take a bit longer than 4 hours. Another negative is the arm cuff. I feel it is way to flimsy for the stresses that a water hunter would put it through swinging in currents. I agree with all the comments concerning its lightness. This is definitely a swing all day detector.

Prior to ‘Nox Hunt: In preparation for the 2nd coming of Minelab to me, I did lots of reading on setting it up. (Mucho thanks to the Goliath killer for lots of friendly tips and advice!) I felt technically challenged at 1st since this was a lot more complicated to set up compared to all the other detectors that I have used. It was only after I took it into my yard yesterday and repeatedly went over turning it on and off and going through the menus each time that I got the hang of it and felt comfortable enough to take it this morning at sunrise for a hunt. The one thing I thought I might have an issue with was being able to see what I was doing to set it up so I decided to take my reading glasses. I had planned on a wet sand hunt and maybe some knee deep since I don’t have waterproof headphones yet.

Today’s Hunt: I was at the beach at 6:30 am. I went to a beach that doesn’t get hunted much, but also doesn’t get used as much as the more popular spots. There was just enough light for me to set it up without having to take out my reading glasses. The biggest problem was that seaweed completely covered most of the wet sand area. :yikes:(This has been a huge problem down here for the last week due to the light winds). So I started by going in the water near shore. After about some time I found an area that had been cleared a bit by the beach machines and worked that and the transition area between wet/dry sand. I was very impressed on the depth of some good sounding targets that I pulled here. Really impressed. Any desire that I may have ever had for owning a Sovereign were now gone. This thing was deep, light and waterproof. I have to imagine when the larger aftermarket coils come out its depth will be increased to the “dig to China” stage. I do not see this has a water only unit for me. It just doesn’t seem to be “heavy duty” enough. I could imagine rogue waves in a surf hunt slamming my Stealth into the screen on a recovery. So far, I see it fulfilling exactly the niche I wanted it for – wet/dry sand with the possibility of going into the water if it presented itself. We’ll see how I feel about its durability in a few more hunts – especially when I get my WP headphones and then maybe I will reassess this. No gold chains today in my 4 hour extremely oppressively hot hunt so my 1st ‘Nox hunt may be seen as a failure, but I managed to secure THE FORCE! I may not be a golden Jedi yet…but I will become a Noxious master in the near future!:good:

Attachments

• 20180618_145847.jpg
    20180618_145847.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 482
  • 6-20-18.jpg
    6-20-18.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 460
  • 6-20-18 Force.jpg
    6-20-18 Force.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 475
  • 6-20-18 phone.jpg
    6-20-18 phone.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 465
  • 6-20-18 grabage.jpg
    6-20-18 grabage.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 411
Last edited:
funny I just drank the koolaid as well. Charging it as I type. First impressions very similar especially the flimsy aspect-plastic!.. Congrats on your first hunt even without the gold and silver. It will come for sure.

Love the puns in your write up. Cheers to working towards achieving your status as a "Noxious Master" lol

Earl will be proud of you, drank the koolade...:yes:

Heard about the first leakier today, Mr VB Max's

Looking good Felix!... thanks for the blow by blow on the new machine. As for myself... to Nox or not to Nox... that is the question and I still haven't made up my mind but Christmas is coming perhaps then.

Congrats on the new machine Felix. I'm looking forward to mine if it ever comes in. Until then I'll keep swinging my beloved CTX.

Until the 15" coil comes out i switched back to the CTX with 17"" coil. Ill save the Nox for winter hunting and some water hunts. It just can't hang with a CTX with a big coil. Ask me how i know!:lol:

Until the 15" coil comes out i switched back to the CTX with 17"" coil. Ill save the Nox for winter hunting and some water hunts. It just can't hang with a CTX with a big coil. Ask me how i know!:lol:

well????? :laughing:

Attachments

• pics.JPG
    pics.JPG
    14.9 KB · Views: 295
nice! does that phone power on? supposed to be water proof. charge it up and see its a newer one and probably still worth some bucks

Bottle caps can be eliminated with all metal head and toe of the coil method.
Congrats and HH, Phil

Back
Top Bottom