The Needle In The Haystack :-) Long Read

Martin_V3i

Elite Member
First, thank you for reading all of this, it is long. Also, the title came from the words her husband last said that morning, "Good luck finding that needle in a hay stack." Hope wasn't rampant.

It coulda been in the hay stack, I hadn't been told that it wasn't simply lost in a small back yard, so the open field in the one pic, and not knowing for sure the thing was lost in a narrowed down region by the hay, said "Challenge!"

I lent Grassharper my M6 which she knows pretty well in the tones after working the M6 before getting her dad's Garretts, WHICH woulda found it fine BTW. Cathy, here real name, but I donned her that name because she has a way in working the coil over grass after such a short time that we've worked together after getting into detecting very, very recently.

Well, we first tested the other un-lost earring for VDI and tones, and headed to the hay bale, which she'd already tried hunting alone, and we did a job of fanning out around the area of the photo shoot made a week before. It was rather clean, not much trash at all, but no crisp signals. We hunted there probably for half an hour my the hay and I then got more refined information where the car was parked up the hill and decided to somewhat grid lines from the park spot toward the bale, and then make another line next to it, line after line, going all the way to the hay bale, adding more perimeter beyond what we'd worked really hard near the bale during the beginning of the hunt.

I could see that I was maybe losing confidence from Grassharper and the owner since they began watching and talking more, and then it hit! We just had not fanned out far enough. I left the untouched find, whistled, "Come here!)..honestly I wasn't sure myself that it was the same jewelry, but WHAMMO! one look and Leigh grabbed it up, "THAT"S IT."

Best part of this hobby to me is finding and returning.

Here is a FB post Leigh made today...better explanation to the whole scenario than I could ever express in words myself. We all made a good team together, and it made us a pay day.

The owner posted this, no input from me...it was cool to me. Martin

"Here's the story of the earring that I posted a picture of a couple of hours ago.

So, the week before Mothers Day, I had to get head shots of Geneva and Paris for some auditions. I decided to go ahead and get some new pictures of Sydney too while I was at it. When styling Syd pre-session, I thought it would be sweet to have her wear a pair of my earrings. This particular set of earrings was my very first Mothers Day gift ever. Scott gave them to me when I was pregnant with Paris. They are an adorable little pair of silver hoops that have a Celtic knot charm representing the trinity of Maiden-Mother-Wise Woman (or Crone).

With Sydney dressed and the rest of the kids in tow, I head out to take her pictures. We shoot a few up at Ben Harmon High School They have some great spots for an urban feel. And then I took her out to an empty field nearby. Because despite her roots here in the city, Sydney is a country girl in her heart. She is always happy and relaxed when we are out in the country somewhere. So I thought a setting like that would be good for some of her photos. This field is great. It's got some tall grass, beautiful cedar trees and the odd round bale of hay here and there. We take some great shots but as it was an overcast evening anyway and we start losing light fast. We play around a little with light and flash and movement in the fading light because I'm always trying to learn and better my photography. As we wrap up, Sydney realizes that she's missing an earring. We start searching for it. No luck. I break my phone out and use the flashlight app hoping that will help. No luck.

I am furious.

I am furious with her, not because she lost it but because she lost it because she wouldn't quit messing with it. I am furious with myself for having her wear them. It was my idea. She wouldn't have cared either way.

I am devastated.

This earrings have no value to anyone but me but I love them. I cherish these earrings. Not because of their value (they weren't expensive) but because of the turning point in my life they represent.

I spend a considerable amount of time searching for the earring. No luck.

Now it is nearly 8:30 pm and I have the 6 year old and the 4 year old with me (and also my lovely 16 year old assistant who has school the next day) AND I have to pick up Paris from volleyball practice so I have to leave. I picked Paris up and then took everyone home. I dropped them off and drove back out there by myself. I literally paw around in the hay on my hands and knees for an hour in the dark. No luck.

The next morning. I drag Sydney out with me and we spend another hour and a half out there digging around. No luck. So I start trying to figure out how I can find this thing. It's small. Really small. The field is big. The grass is tall. And then there's the hay... Then, I notice a bunch of dirt equipment at the far edge of the field and my heart sinks to my stomach. They're about to level this place before I get the chance to find the earring. Luckily, a few minutes later a guy from the surveying crew comes by and and I ask him if they are about to start dirt work on the field. He says no (at least not as far over as where I am) and I am relieved. It's really a good thing because I was thinking of ways to chain myself to the roll of hay until I could figure out a way to find the earring.

Inspiration strikes and I think "Metal detector!!!" Only to find that I can neither rent one nor buy one used from any of the pawn shops within a 20 mile radius of me. Which really is okay because I don't know how to use one in the first place so it probably would have been a waste of money. (Keep in mind that I am sitting in the middle of a field on my cell phone calling pawn shops)

Inspiration strikes again as I have a vague memory of my friend, Cathy Harper, digging around in the dump and finding some silver. YAAY! I reach out to Cathy, who I've not seen in at least 7 or 8 years despite the fact that she lives less than 30 minutes from me. (Suffice it to say we've both had a lot going on, especially her.) Much like Obi Wan Kenobi, she is my only hope. What does she do? She rearranges her schedule and finds time to meet me the next day, metal detector in hand. I spend some time narrowing down the places to look for the earring by checking the photos to see when Sydney was wearing it and when she wasn't.

I wake up confident that we are going to find that earring. We search for about an hour and half in fog and a slight drizzle. All in the roll of hay, around it, in the field.

We don't find it.

To say I am disappointed is an understatement.

Cathy tells me not to worry. She has someone who has been teaching her to treasure hunt with the metal detector. Maybe she can get him to come out with his "better" detectors and we'll find it. (It's at this point that I realize that I am WAY out of my league with this metal detecting stuff.)

Cathy texts me yesterday to see if I want to give it one more shot at finding the earring. I say yes, despite the fact that I have, in fact, resigned myself to the fact that the earring is gone.

Cathy, Martin and I caravan out to the field again this morning. I show Martin the remaining earring and as he looks at the field of tall grass, a big smile spreads across his face and he says "I like a challenge like this." I'm glad he does. I, on the other hand, feel somewhat differently.

We spend nearly an hour looking. No luck. We've swept the roll of hay. All around it. The tall grass all the way up to where the van wan parked. (By "we" I mean they carried the metal detectors and did the sweeping and I just wandered around out there wringing my hands.) I didn't want to be disappointed again. I mean, after all, I didn't really think we'd find it. But I am. I am disappointed. I am sad. This was my last chance to find it.

And just as Cathy and I are just discussing giving up on it...

Martin whistles and waves us over.

There is is. Right in the grass and dirt. Right on top. About 15 feet away from the roll of hay.
Happy Mothers Day to me. Again.

God bless you Martin.

Thank you to Martin and thank you to Cathy. You made my week. Heck you made my month. I NEVER would have found that earring if it wasn't for you. I owe you."

Attachments

• Lewisville Earring_Lost Area.jpg
    Lewisville Earring_Lost Area.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 365
  • Lewisville Earring.jpg
    Lewisville Earring.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 360
  • Earring Lewisville Me And Owner.jpg
    Earring Lewisville Me And Owner.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 363
Awesome story glad everyone came out happy. A big field like that could have taken a lot longer.:grin:

I would have stayed to hunt had been left alone. That's the way I am. Besides, 2 pieces were neatly beside each other. In fact, I am disappointed in myself for not looking for the backing. I am just a self professed show-off I guess :-) martin

Kick ass story! This should really be a featured story. This is what we all want to do to show people we are not looters or vandals.

Congrats and thank you for sharing!

That is a great story with an awesome outcome. Good job, Martin!

What a great find !!! You are getting good at finding lost jewelry. Congrats on the great recovery and the owner sounded very grateful.

Awesome

I'm not one to usually read long posts but I did and I'm glad I did. I think it's awesome that you and Cathy both took the time out of your schedules to help this lady out, and to me one of the amazing things is how appreciative she was and willing to give the credit of her having her earring back to the metal detectors and you two. You may have already but I would also submit this to the folks at Whites as I know they like to see good outcomes with their machines even though as you stated it wasn't necessarily the machine.

SD

Back
Top Bottom