Nox 600/800 Is it the next big thing or 'the next big thing'?

BufordCityDawg

Elite Member
I'm seriously considering dropping the cash on the Nox. Before I do though, I'd like to get feedback from the school of been there done that. Is this thing really the end all killer of single frequency machines or is it just the 'next big thing' to be replaced next year with the next 'next big thing'?

BCD

From everything I have read the Nox falls into new territory because of the combination of features it brings. What sold me on it was being waterproof, light, new multi freq, and finally the great selling price for the suite of features you get.

There may very well be a sweet PI machine in the works and released in another year, who knows?! What is the risk vs reward for you? Missing out on a great detector for a year while you wait for something better that may or may not come out? Or you could buy an Equinox and if you tire of it or want to sell it you are only out a little bit of $. Easy choice for me

I'm seriously considering dropping the cash on the Nox. Before I do though, I'd like to get feedback from the school of been there done that. Is this thing really the end all killer of single frequency machines or is it just the 'next big thing' to be replaced next year with the next 'next big thing'?

BCD

I haven't been to a lot of locations with it yet but I will post goodies when possible. I see youtoo have an ATPro. I think you will like the descriptive audio better on it than the Nox.
I got the nox to see what I've been missing. Stay tuned for future info....

My opinion although I do not swing one is absolutely not. Minelab themselves stated that this machine was not made to replace the CTX or the E-Trac.

With that said, I do believe it was made to beat out the MX Sport, At-Pro and Deus.

The next BIG thing I am guessing is a very light machine that will REPLACE the CTX.

My feeling is that there is WAY too much HYPE out there at this time. Some of the few folks that have them are wanting us to believe they are the best machine on the market.

AGAIN, this is how I feel and from what I have read.

'The next Big Thing', That should already be obvious. The next big thing, as in making others obsolete, not so much.

What makes the NOX the "Next Big Thing' is new technology and advances in design at a more affordable price. That is dependent on the over-all outcome on depth comparisons with the big guns.

You notice most have already weighed in on their reviews based on ergonomics and other basic comparable design, but, few have made that bold leap to comparing depth to the E-Trac/CTX/Deus? Including myself, there is a good reason. I see the potential to perform with or even outperform the E-Trac/CTX/Deus, but I't going to take some real time testing before I'll make such a bold statement. I think a lot of other, like me, are teetering on the edge of wanting to say the NOX could well be that next big thing.

It’s another tool for a job,not a multi tool for ALL jobs. Just like cars,certain ones have certain strong points. You have spoons,forks and sporks. It’ll do well for the people who need it to do well where they need it to do certain things. I’ll be keeping a close eye on Air Force Mike and his findings since he is close by.
One thing it won’t do is have the resolution of the FECO readout,because it doesn’t have the FECO readout. That cannot get any clearer. A solid audio response with close numbers should be dug anyway,so for those who like to and can dig LOTS of holes,it’ll be fine since depth appears to be good. Selectable freqs have their place. It’s what a lot of people wanted, and it’s what was built. Weight seems to be a huge factor with many people not able to swing other machines.
So it’s the next big thing for certain reasons for a lot of hunters. Obsolete any and all across the board period? No. But it will be the go to machine depending on what you want to find and who you are, and your tolerance for digging.

I think it is a step in the right direction as it is a high performance machine for a reasonable price. It is definitely a statement to whites, XP, and Garrett. Minelab might be over priced on alot of there detectors however you can not argue that they do not perform well. Garrett hasnt put out a high end machine in 10 years. The only thing Garrett has brought to the table it the necessity of having a mid level detector be waterproof. Whites will continue to put out high end machines that have a relatively high learning curve. They are like Mclaren every thing is thought out and it takes a long time to get it just where you like it.

Let me change the question somewhat. I am currently using the ATP Pro and I like it a lot. It does have limitations. Even with the 5X8, it doesn't do very well with Iron masking good targets. I've run several of the standard tests and big nails near anything interesting either shows up as big nails or a crazy signal that I wouldn't dig unless I was really short on targets. Second issue is it only does OK in salt. I vacation to the beach and want a machine that handles that relatively well. Weight is a big factor for me. I don't hunt often enough to develop arm strength for a heavy machine. I use the 5X8 almost exclusively for that reason.

I would like a machine that is light, relatively easy to use, and works in Georgia clay and salt. There is no way I can justify more than 1000.00 on a machine. I just don't hunt enough.

BCD

Anytime you buy, a possible better next detector could sprout up.
That's life really with everything.
Autos, guns, homes, computers, wives (pun).

All I can do is honestly talk about what I use and have used detector wise.

New stuff/Old stuff....

I personally know some "Senior" hunters in VA that still use the Nautilus 2B they bought brand new years ago, Relics hunters they are and The 2B is today and has been they're prime machine. The same one they bought new 25+ years back.

They will tell you that it takes quite a while to learn what the machine is saying under a diverse set of conditions, particularly in tough soil and mineralized dirt. Their finds both support and justify they're convictions that it's better to understand the one you have that's performing and producing than to spend valuable time as a member of the support network that manufacturers depend on to try their latest and greatest game changing snooperstar detector.

I know that what they say is true even as I look at the 5 or so detectors sitting in my closet because....well, I'm like the rest of us I guess.

BCD

I wish I could tell you personally from experience. All ours have been pre sold and I have not even got to swing one yet.

All my customers feedback has been very positive on the Minelab Equinox. With the ever growing demand I dont see it easing up anytime soon.

Not having one I can only comment on what I've seen in videos. The nox seems to be a really good machine. Light, simple and powerful. A big step in the right direction. Good price and waterproof. It covers so much of what folks have been asking for like multi freq. There's a few things I see as shortcomings like the narrow tid spread but that would just throw me until I got used to it. I'd like one in the future after any release bugs, if they exist, are rectified. Seems like a winner so far.

I evaluate every new 'Tool' thingy from an ROI perspective....'Will this item make me twice as productive and profitable'...?

A few Breakthroughs in my Lifetime well worth the purchase come to mind...Cordless Drills, Pneumatic or Impulse nailers, chainsaws, The Melroe Bobcat, Quick Fire piezeo electric torch tip, Fish finders, microwave oven...thats about it.....Notice wood splitters, lawnmowers, snowblowers, and cell phones didnt make the cut..time wasters....

Cordless Tools are probably the best ROI NEW Tool purchase in my Lifetime, I held out for a while and observed, then had to surrender to the obvious advantages! ...Hell, try driving in 3 1/2" phosphorus deck screws with a hand held phillips! :laughing:

I tend to stick to what I have until its OBVIOUS this new tool will make me more productive, and its all based upon the ROI considerations...You can master the one and use those skills to springboard off to the other if the situation merits.......

Anytime you buy, a possible better next detector could sprout up.
That's life really with everything.
Autos, guns, homes, computers, wives (pun).

All I can do is honestly talk about what I use and have used detector wise.

My wife totally supports my detecting addiction. She doesn't care how many detectors I buy, sell, trade or have. I'm not buying another wife and she's not for sale. HA !!

I'm still happy with my 12-year-old GTI 2500. Still pulling out deep finds regularly, and I love the imaging system on the detector. I also just scored an unused (still barcode stickered) 12.5" imaging coil for $100 that a guy thought would work on his AT Pro!

That being said, I have come to realize that technology IS catching up and advancing, while my body is slowly starting to feel the weight of heavy swinging. The problem for me, as I'm sure it is for others, is that I KNOW my machine. I know its strengths and its quirks. I can fine tune a hunt based on the location in seconds. Notch our 5.5 to avoid the tabs, drop discrim by a point or two instantly, and select All Metal with a button push. It's as familiar as knowing the radio controls in my car.

I was getting ready to pull the trigger on an AT Max when the Nox suddenly appeared on the scene. Now I don't know what I want to do. My dilemma is multi-faceted. First, the AT would be a far easier machine to master, while the Nox will have a very significant learning curve. Second, there are far more coil options currently for the AT than the Nox. Third, the Nox's multi-freq is a significant advance that Garrett has yet to offer. Fourth, the 600 for me is significantly cheaper than the Max, because we are a military family, and Minelab is offering us a 15% discount off of MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) during 2018 on their products. Fifth, questioning whether I really am going to hunt enough to justify having to learn a very foreign operating system. And sixth, having had years of experience with Garrett's Customer Service and support, it's an unknown whether Minelab can match that level of excellent service.

So I find myself in this quandary. I DO want a lighter and higher tech detector, though I'll always keep the 2500 if for no other reason than the Treasure Hound "Eagle Eye" dual box coil system I have for it. But I don't need TWO new detectors and need to decide between the two mentioned. Decisions decisions. Sigh...

That is a good writeup. I am concerned about the learning curve as well. I really like that the Nox has multi frequency and does well in the salt. I also like how it does in iron. I am going to test it out with my AT and see how it does.

BCD

I'm still happy with my 12-year-old GTI 2500. Still pulling out deep finds regularly, and I love the imaging system on the detector. I also just scored an unused (still barcode stickered) 12.5" imaging coil for $100 that a guy thought would work on his AT Pro!

That being said, I have come to realize that technology IS catching up and advancing, while my body is slowly starting to feel the weight of heavy swinging. The problem for me, as I'm sure it is for others, is that I KNOW my machine. I know its strengths and its quirks. I can fine tune a hunt based on the location in seconds. Notch our 5.5 to avoid the tabs, drop discrim by a point or two instantly, and select All Metal with a button push. It's as familiar as knowing the radio controls in my car.

I was getting ready to pull the trigger on an AT Max when the Nox suddenly appeared on the scene. Now I don't know what I want to do. My dilemma is multi-faceted. First, the AT would be a far easier machine to master, while the Nox will have a very significant learning curve. Second, there are far more coil options currently for the AT than the Nox. Third, the Nox's multi-freq is a significant advance that Garrett has yet to offer. Fourth, the 600 for me is significantly cheaper than the Max, because we are a military family, and Minelab is offering us a 15% discount off of MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) during 2018 on their products. Fifth, questioning whether I really am going to hunt enough to justify having to learn a very foreign operating system. And sixth, having had years of experience with Garrett's Customer Service and support, it's an unknown whether Minelab can match that level of excellent service.

So I find myself in this quandary. I DO want a lighter and higher tech detector, though I'll always keep the 2500 if for no other reason than the Treasure Hound "Eagle Eye" dual box coil system I have for it. But I don't need TWO new detectors and need to decide between the two mentioned. Decisions decisions. Sigh...

The Equinox screen is easy to access and for me only a little different to figure out coming from the ATPro. Garrett certainly has the easiest to learn detectors I've seen.
I had a hard time dealing with the menus on the F70!
I still have a lot to learn on the Equinox but so far so good.
I think given some use everyone would like the Equinox.

Last edited:

BCD

I'm going to wait on the next big thing which may be PI discrimination machines from First Texas or multi frequency machines that will compete head on with Minelabs. This is only less than a year out. Guess they may have hired a French engineer who specializes in the technology. Also like what I see in the Nokta Makro brand....one company to watch. Looking for a Impact 2 version...lighter weight.... and multi also.

The Equinox is meant to compete in the mid-level market against newer machines like the Makro Kruzer. In fact, you might want to look for tests between the Equinox and Kruzer or Impact--very similar features--and decide for yourself.

I don't necessarily buy the hype--all the companies bill their new arrival as the latest and greatest--but the Equinox is a performer. I have the Equinox 600. It won't replace my Etrac, but complements it nicely, especially in trashy environments.

Back
Top Bottom