Did I stumble upon a CW camp?

The Jersey Digger

Elite Member
I have posted a few threads in the coinshooters section. I recently got permission for 220 acres of farmland. My research shows 3-4 colonial houses once stood there. I have been doing very well in one spot. But I am wondering if I stumbled on a Civil War camp that is undocumented. All the coins except one have been dated 1857-1864. They are a 2 cent, 5 fatty Indians, 1 normal indian, 2 flying eagles. Also have found a Dragoon button, an infantry button and an 1863 CW token. Is this consistent with a CW camp or could it just have been a soldier or 2 from the war living here. Finding an infantry and dragoon button have me leaning towards a small camp.

Attachments

• IMG_5425.JPG
    IMG_5425.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 755
  • IMG_5429.JPG
    IMG_5429.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 743
  • IMG_5393.JPG
    IMG_5393.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 750
  • IMG_5392.JPG
    IMG_5392.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 778
  • IMG_5406.jpg
    IMG_5406.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 736
you just have. I hope there are many more excellent finds there waiting on you to unearth them. Congrats

It may be a civil war site, but not much went on in Delaware except for a basic training unit. And that there was a "D" button found, you may just be in a pre civil war site. That would likely mean militia. But either way I would hit that site hard. Let us know what else you find there to continue the debate. If you clean those buttons up better, show us a picture and try and show the backmark also.

It may be a civil war site, but not much went on in Delaware except for a basic training unit. And that there was a "D" button found, you may just be in a pre civil war site. That would likely mean militia. But either way I would hit that site hard. Let us know what else you find there to continue the debate. If you clean those buttons up better, show us a picture and try and show the backmark also.

I am paranoid to clean them more because I don't want to lose the detail I can see. Plus there is no backmark because when I cleaned the back of the dragoon button the back fell apart. The infantry button is full shank but missing the second piece.

Attachments

• IMG_5428.jpg
    IMG_5428.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 695
  • IMG_5430.jpg
    IMG_5430.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 723

Also there are 6 confirmed camps in Delaware just none in my area that are documented...

You have a button there I would enjoy finding. The "I" button is a one piece and is probably pewter. It looks like Albert's GI75 on page 36. Those buttons came into existence in 1821, and were used by officers well after the war. Super find but I think it may lend a little more evidence to say your site is pre war.

You have a button there I would enjoy finding. The "I" button is a one piece and is probably pewter. It looks like Albert's GI75 on page 36. Those buttons came into existence in 1821, and were used by officers well after the war. Super find but I think it may lend a little more evidence to say your site is pre war.

The other part is every coin is from 1857-1864 and we are talking like 10 coins. I'm lost. LOL

Thanks everyone!!

Nice finds.

I would hunt the daylights out of it,,,,and even expand my search area.

Congrats

Hope you pull some more.

I stumbled upon a park that produced the same coins in a very small area. I later learned there was a civil war encampment at this site, so it made perfect sense. I think there's a good chance it may have been a small camp or something possibly. Have you found and camp lead, Minnie's, or any other lead? That's always a great sign...

We are also finding CW buttons from a colonial site that was also used up till the late 1800's. Would make sense that the site was lived through those 2 periods.

Back
Top Bottom