• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Metal Detecting school yards

twistidd

I was wondering how you guys approach metal detecting school yards and playgrounds. There are a bunch near me but I'm always leery about detecting there. Do public school generally allow you to detect without permission? If not, do you ask, and who do you ask? I'm thinking that maybe other detectorists don't bother at the schools nearby, but instead hit the parks. I guess I'm just always paranoid about someone calling the cops on me and me getting in trouble. Thanks for the replies.

Joe

School yards are among my favorite places to detect. I have hit about a dozen locally. There is one near my home that I have been to 20 times or so. I have been seen by many people, including the police, at different schools. No one has ever said anything outside of the usual "Find anything?" question. I usually carry a bag of junk just in case so I can demonstrate how I'm helping pick up the area, and I am prepared to explain to anyone how I am there looking for a ring my niece lost if they ask (which may or may not be true). But so far, like I said, no one has asked. I have never received permission to detect any school; as they are public property I'm not sure I need to. I was pretty paranoid when I started, but I am much more comfortable now. This time of year schools are pretty deserted on Saturday and Sunday mornings anyway. I'm always mindful of signage regarding rules for school property, but thus far I haven't seen any that would indicate metal detecting is a no no. Worst case, the cops might ask me to leave I guess... but like I said, so far no problems!

Good Luck!

I always feel paranoid when I am out detecting. The schools around me all have no trespassing signs on them with fine print, I see them as I drive by but I have not stopped to read the fine print.

I might add, you definitely do not want to MD on school grounds during the week. You will have a up to a couple hundred peering eyes from inside the building. That's the easiest way to be uninvited off the property.

Like Z118 said, Sat and Sun are best.

I agree with z118 about schools being a favorite place to hunt. I also have several schools around me, but I have not finished cleaning out the first school yard yet. I have had only 1 person approach me while I was hunting and he was a novice asking detector questions. He did ask, "Isn't this school property?" I replied, "It is a public school, so it must be on public property." He agreed with that. Hunting on the weekends, holidays, or summer months are the times that I like to be there.

Good luck and happy hunting!

Yes, I should add that I have never, and will never, detect a school while school is in session. That would be nuts!

The no trespassing signs I have seen have fine print that explain how you can't enter any buildings without authorization and how you can not enter any locked buildings or fenced in areas. And I have seen a bunch of sign saying that you can't practice your golf swing on school grounds. The groundskeepers must not like the divots. So you can bet that if you don't replace your plugs just right there will be no detecting signs up pretty fast too.

Attachments

• sign.jpg
    sign.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 15,021
I agree with the other posters. In my 26 years detecting in all kinds of places, in schools I have never been asked to leave. Also, I dig so much junk that I always have some to show people if anyone asks. Steve in so az

Schools are definitely a weekend or evening place. Even in the summer months I have drawn the attention of a dozen or so rugrats excited about finding treasure. I have had parents from neighboring houses come and check out the situation. I always carry a few nails to show off and win points with the locals. I don't consider it deceitful as I do remove a lot of debris from the playgrounds. Remember the playgrounds are for the children first. :yes:

Jack

Thanks for the great replies. The one school nearest to me has a pretty good-sized tot lot in it, I'd probably hit that before hitting the dirt. Carrying a bag of nails or junk sounds like a good idea, I'll probably do that when I end up hunting there.

Joe

Well I've never found it necessary to bring a bag of junk with me. I can fill my own pretty quick.

Thats the joy of a small town. I can detect just about anywhere as long as I use a little common sense. I never detect a school unless it's vacant. I can even detect our courthouse as long as I do it on a Sunday. I've been doing it for many years and the reason I still can is because I NEVER leave any signs I was there.

I hunt school yards all the time, and have never been bothered by anyone. I only go very early on Sat or Sun morning, and if any kids come along to use the tot lot, I move on right away. Just go early in the morning on the weekend, pick up all the trash you can, and FILL YOUR HOLES, and you should never have a problem.

twistidd said:
I was wondering how you guys approach metal detecting school yards and playgrounds. There are a bunch near me but I'm always leery about detecting there. Do public school generally allow you to detect without permission? If not, do you ask, and who do you ask? I'm thinking that maybe other detectorists don't bother at the schools nearby, but instead hit the parks. I guess I'm just always paranoid about someone calling the cops on me and me getting in trouble. Thanks for the replies.

Joe

Most school don't mind you detecting them.. A little advice though... Don't detect during school hours and its really best to detect during summer vacation when little if anyone is around anyway.

Small towns do have their advantages. Since early last fall I have found about $60.00 at our local football field.
No one else around detecting that I know of. I always go on weekends. About the only people I see are 2 or 3 players getting in a little practice time on their on. Also a few folks use the track field for walking. I have never been bothered by anyone. I never search on the main playing field, just the practice field and the areas where people walk during games. I know I will be coming back as places like this are reseeded after each event so I am careful not to make too many digs is a small area. Even though I think I do a good job at "covering my tracks" I don't want to do any thing to upset someone. I will pass over many hits in order to spread out my digs. This give the previous digs time to "heal" before I go back to that area. There are a few picnic tables around the main classrooms building that have netted a little change but nothing like the ball field. Early on I found severl spills ranging from a couple of qtrs to about $3.50 in the same hole. Each time I go back the finds a getting fewer but I know there will always be something there. On my last outing (before our ice a snow storm--can you believe it- ice and snow inTexas) I did find 18 dines in aprox. 10 sq. in. The spot I would really like to try is in front of the oldest part of the school built in 1957. Going to high school there in the early sixties I remember us horsing around rolling down the hill in front. There has to be some old silver there, but it's in a place where even small digs might cause trouble. Talked too much already......Thanks Al

I'm a public school teacher. It is public property, so yes, you can md there. If you feel paranoid about it, just ask the principal for permission. He/she will no doubt say yes, but they will likely tell you like most have said on this topic, however, that you should only do it when school is not in session for various reasons, but mostly for security reasons (there are a lot of whackos out there who could be posing as md'ers, but are really pedophiles, terrorist, or who knows WHAT). Plus, you don't want a couple of hundred kids scattered around you like flies on poop, trying to watch you.

Another reason to not detect when children are around is, you dont want to create a bunch of competition, I could just see a dozen kids out there in two weeks with detectors.... :lol:

Kids

I have always said that metal detectors are kid magnets...they attract kids. While detecting a school playground one summer, I had a couple of boys following me around. When I dug up a quarter about three inches deep, one said that it was his. He had lost it the day before.

School Yards are great if you do not mind the ton of trash signals. Seems however that Elementary schools you'll find more Change. Junior High and High schools however I seem to find more Jewelry items. With summer on the rise and school letting out, you'll be able to hunt at will. Most schools in my area have Walking tracks etc, and I see my fair share of of Walkers Joggers and the Like. I suppose I am lucky, My son is going into the 5th grade and my daughter into the 7th, so when I say I am going to MD at a school, one if not both want to go and Play, so I have a viable excuse if any one asks. The only time I have been approached in a negative fashion was at a high school and asked not to md on the football field, not that I would anyhow, but never has anyone said a word about the soccer fields or Baseball fields.

I live in the most foo-foo town that anyone could ever imagine. The local school has a front lawn that's about an acre and manicured like a golf course. All I did was introduce myself to the head groundskeeper. I showed him how I dig/fill a hole and I'm "in like Flynn." Everyone here in town told me that I couldn't detect there, but I do with the caretaker's blessing (on weekends and after school hours only).

I had one "experience" at a school in another town that I'll pass along...The elementary school grounds include a huge field out back that is only mowed twice a month. It's at least 200 yards from the school and play areas.

I was hunting the far-most edge of the field one afternoon and the principal (with janitor in-tow) came out to ask me to leave until after school hours. Our conversation was very cordial and he even told me that school was "letting out early" every Wednesday this year if I wanted to come earlier in the day.

It's all about communication and respect for the community.

I always go early in the morning... at daybreak. ANd only on the weekends. I do not metal detect while children are about. As a rule I stay away from them. In this day & age .... people see pedophiles everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom