• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

~Dream Hunt 1916-D Mercury Dime~

goes4ever

Elite Member
Today Mr Stuff (Dave) drove up to hunt with me, and wow....we both had a KILLER day!

We hunted sidewalk curb strips and a couple old houses. Our finds were just awesome today. He was kicking my butt on silver and I grumbled that I had not YET dug a silver coin yet today and the very next signal was a solid 12-45 at 4-5"...........I cut the plug and opened it up. I saw a silver dime, pulled it out of the hole and right away I saw it was a merc....cool. I yelled at Dave, "hey I finally got a silver!" then I looked at it and saw the 1916, and nervously flipped it over and saw the D.....instantly I started shaking. I am still in utter amazement, this is a once in a lifetime find. Thank God I did not scratch it.

It got rinsed very gingerly with water, and took it straight to the bank safety deposit box until I can send it in to be graded and slabbed.

Other than that the rest of my finds were awesome, I ended up getting a silver trifecta, 1946 rosie, the 1916D merc, and a 1905 barber dime.

3 injuns, bunch of wheats, best being a 1909. A good luck token, buffalo nickel, play coin. Lead soldier, and bunch of clad as well.

I am still amazed, I took dirty pictures of the 1916-D and rinsed pictures as well. I can't wait to send it in, any ideas what it will grade?

Mr. Stuff had an awesome silver day.....I think he got a double trifecta of silver dimes as well as a silver half. What a DREAM hunt! thanks to everyone for looking!!!!!

8-27-11dirty.jpg

1916-Ddirty.jpg

8-27-11.jpg

DSC01309.jpg

goodlucktoken.jpg

8-27-113injuns.jpg

8-27-11trifecta.jpg

1916-D.jpg

1916-D-2.jpg

Whoa, mama! With all the work you put in, you deserve it...congrats!

Edit: I'd be interested in hearing how people thought it graded and the value.

A BIG CONGRATS on finding one of the 'Holy Grails' of MDing. That Merc. is in much better shape then some that are from the 40's. We'll be waiting to hear how the grading goes. Oh, and nice digging for the trifecta also. Good Luck on future hunts. : )

Man o man! I swear, you find the coolest stuff! Congrats on the Merc! I am starting to think you have a silver fairy following you around dropping this stuff for you! Way to go and once again a big Congrats!

:clapping::thumbsup::urock::congras:

G2M

"1916-D - With a mintage of only 264,000 this is by far the rarest Mercury key"

Very cool find! Congradulations!

Awesome finds congratulations on the results of the whole hunt, especially the 1916 D! It looks to be in really nice shape. Hope someone can try to eyeball grade it for you.

If anyone was going to find this coin... it would be you! I heard stories about you from a good friend of mine who is our club president here in Michigan and I think you know him as well... WTG on that coin and an awesome season so far as a whole!!! Lots of goodies you've been getting at those homes sites and curbs!!

As for the coin... I would venture to say it grades in the Fine category... $2k all day!!! Well done!!! :clapping:

Back
Top Bottom