How deep?

L0S3R

Elite Member
How deep do you usually dig for a target in a city park?

Bounty hunter - treasure hunter - cabelas special edition.
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring
Total clad 2018 - 45$

for "city parks", I am usually trying to avoid clad. And the depth-at-which silver & wheaties starts, varies from park to park. Also depending on if you're in hard-pan parts of the (around bases of trees, etc...) oldies could be very shallow. Contrast to lush green grass, where old coins start to be deeper (as a general rule).

That mental criteria cutoff point can be as little as 4" in some parks. Meaning I won't chase it unless it's 4 or 5" or more. In other parks, the criteria could ~7". Because anything shallower than that tends to be clad.

So it just depends on the park. When I arrive at a new park, I test various beeps, to get an idea of sinkage. If I find I'm digging clad dimes at 6", then I'll set my mind to ignore targets 6" or less, etc.....

A person who is angling for park rings, or doesn't mind clad, would have an entirely different answer. Just depends.

As deep as I have to to ge the target.

There is an art to detecting public land.

Do not go when it is bone dry.
Take a shovel, Frisbee and screwdriver.
Shallow target, don't dig. find it with the screwdriver and pop it out.
Deep target, dig round or square plug and put it on grass. Dig deeper putting dirt in Frisbee. Find Target, fold Frisbee and pour dirt back in hole. Tap in plug and no sign of you being there.

I did this for about 3 years at a golf course at night. Found awesome Barbers and a 10.00 eagle.

Put hole in Frisbee and put a string on it, hang it from a hook on your side.

Plenty of other advice out there. Just be as neat as possible

I typically will stop digging after about 16 - 18 inches. If I still havent hit it that deep its 99.99999% to be large trash.

Most targets are in the top 8 - 10 inches though.

Most my deep targets are between 6 and 10in, but I've found a few deeper coins as well. But you can find old coins close to the surface as well, especially if the park, or sections of the park, have been dug, to install a pipe or a playground etc.
Sometimes a very small, but shallow object registers as deep on the detector, so I dig a deep plug. Often takes me a while to find out what's going on. :roll:

I hunt a local park about 5 minutes from the house...I've talked to the police/security officers there on several occasion and they have no issues with detecting there. I've only ran into 2 other people hunting there, but I know the park gets hammered. The officers I've talked to are very impressed because there are no indications of us digging there....That being said, I will typically dig around 6" for a target in the "common" areas. Usually use a hand digger...If I'm hunting off the beaten path or in the wooded area I will dig as far as needed, but I will still cut a clean plug and fill in the area to it's original state when done. I don't want to give anyone any reason to say we can't detect there. Use common sense and keep your plugs clean...If you cut a clean plug and use a towel, or frisbee, or whatever you need to place the dirt on, you can dig pretty deep without leaving a mess.

I run pretty low sens in the park and seldom dig more than 6 inches, normally 0-3 inches is my target range.

A lot would depend on the time of the year and if there has been a recent rain or the park is watered. You don't want to dig a deep hole when the ground is dry.

Looking at the gear you are running, your Best Find, (Honker Plat) and your clad count, I'd say stick with what you are doing!

I stay in the top 5" in public parks and use nothing but a screwdriver...I'm out for Clad and Jewelry and not for old silver, although it does turn up accidentally in the top 5" a few times per year...generally its masked or in a multidenom spill, or tight to a fence or something and has been missed...

I'd add though, seems if you want to switch genres and go after older stuff for a while, you might want to do some door knocking, private lawn permissions...or curbstripping, or chasing construction sites, or sidewalk/street tearouts...even with the gear you have, I know you would find some amazing old stuff simply by doing that...Report back!

I usually stay in the top 6" in parks unless I'm way off to an edge along woods. I almost always use only the standard lesche hand held knife. I love it and just cut a small slit to retrieve most coins 1 - 4" deep. Always leave like a ghost. Like no one has been there.

Thanks for all the replies [emoji120]

I usually stay in the top 6” and use a hand digger. I’ve only found 1 silver coin this year and it was in my own yard lol. I’m fine with digging clad though and I’ve found 3 rings this year, 1 plat 1 silver and a kids cosmetic ring (my daughter loves it)

I just wanted to see what everyone else was doing.

Bounty hunter - treasure hunter - cabelas special edition.
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring
Total clad 2018 - 45$

Back
Top Bottom