Ace 250 or AT Pro for newbie?

Rotaxxx

Hey all, I have been lurking on this forum for a few years now thinking about getting into the hobby and I think the time has come. Only problem I am having is trying to decided which detector I should go for. I would like to stick to Garret as I have heard about there awesome customer service, which is a big plus for me.

Any who, I was originally thinking about the Ace 250 at first, it seems to be a good detector from what I have read. But then I got thinking, maybe I should go for a AT Pro, from my research a lot of people upgrade to that from the 250. So maybe I should skip a step and jump into the AT. Is the AT more difficult to learn on? One thing I am not sure about is if I will enjoy, or have the time to go out a lot and don't want to tie up $600 into a detector and not use it. Any suggestions for a newbie? Thanks all!

Btw I love in Canada and heard the new coins here register differently than the older ones, would the AT pick them up better?

Go with AT if you can swing it, no pun intended, if you decide its not for you the resale value on either detector is great. As someone said here before, its better to grow into a detector than out of one.

Well since you have been lurking here for awhile you have most likely come to the realization that this hobby will not make you rich. You probably also know that it takes a lot of time and effort to get some "good stuff".
A lot of guys see an episode of diggers and then run right out and buy an expensive unit and after they realize that they are not going to get rich they either sell it at a loss or it sits in a closet for years
I guess what I am trying to say is you already have a good knowledge of how the hobby works and not a lot of unrealistic expectations so if you are ready to pull the trigger then I would go with the AT Pro.

Well first off. Have you been out detecting before? Do you know what you are getting into?

No and no :laughing: I am not sure if I would really enjoy it or get bored of it after a while. That's why I would lean more towards a 250. If I don't like it, I am not out as much money.

Well since you have been lurking here for awhile you have most likely come to the realization that this hobby will not make you rick. You probably also know that it takes a lot of time and effort to get some "good stuff".
A lot of guys see an episode of diggers and then run right out and buy an expensive unit and after they realize that they are not going to get rich they either sell it at a loss or it sits in a closet for years
I guess what I am trying to say is you already have a good knowledge of how the hobby works and not a lot of unrealistic expectations so if you are ready to pull the trigger then I would go with the AT Pro.

Thanks for the reply, I know I won't be digging gold rings every time out, I am more interested in finding relics around here. Sure gold and silver would be nice, but I am more interested in finding history!

Hey all, I have been lurking on this forum for a few years now thinking about getting into the hobby and I think the time has come. Only problem I am having is trying to decided which detector I should go for. I would like to stick to Garret as I have heard about there awesome customer service, which is a big plus for me.

Any who, I was originally thinking about the Ace 250 at first, it seems to be a good detector from what I have read. But then I got thinking, maybe I should go for a AT Pro, from my research a lot of people upgrade to that from the 250. So maybe I should skip a step and jump into the AT. Is the AT more difficult to learn on? One thing I am not sure about is if I will enjoy, or have the time to go out a lot and don't want to tie up $600 into a detector and not use it. Any suggestions for a newbie? Thanks all!

I started out with the $200 ACE350 in October. It performs well enough for most to the point of keeping the machine for a number of years.

The AT Pro is said to be a very good machine, but you can find just as much stuff with a lower priced machine and have just as much fun while hunting.

The detector isn't all you are going to be looking at when first getting into the hobby. You might consider a budget when starting the hobby because you will need to acquire everything you need.

1. Machine- $200-600
2. Pin Pointer- $15-$130
3. Digging tool- $5-$40
4. Some kind of pouch to hold the accessories- $?

I started out with the $200 ACE350 in October. It performs well enough for most to the point of keeping the machine for a number of years.

The AT Pro is said to be a very good machine, but you can find just as much stuff with a lower priced machine and have just as much fun while hunting.

The detector isn't all you are going to be looking at when first getting into the hobby. You might consider a budget when starting the hobby because you will need to acquire everything you need.

1. Machine- $200-600
2. Pin Pointer- $15-$130
3. Digging tool- $5-$40
4. Some kind of pouch to hold the accessories
- $?

Perfectly said.

i use the AT PRO and love it ! I personally feel with coil change ( 5"x8" )this machine can perform as well if not better than more expensive machines. it has tons of potential at a lower price and learning curve.

Well if you get the 250 and then become obsessed like the rest of us you will be buying the 'Pro pretty quick.

No and no :laughing: I am not sure if I would really enjoy it or get bored of it after a while. That's why I would lean more towards a 250. If I don't like it, I am not out as much money.

Well if this is the case, then I suggest you get the ACE 150, its better to learn on a machine that doesnt have the pinpoint function, and you figure out the best way to visually pinpoint.

Also you wont spend as much to begin with.

You can go even better, and browse craigslist for good deals, or grab a bounty hunter.

1. Machine- $200-600
2. Pin Pointer- $15-$130
3. Digging tool- $5-$40
4. Some kind of pouch to hold the accessories- $?

2. I don't know that you "need" a pinpointer, it's nice to have but you can get by for a while without one.

4. All my pants and shorts have pockets, they come for free and they ae great for holding things you find. :laughing:

If you want the 250, I suggest you look at a Tesoro Compadre instead. Having used both, I like it much better. It has a much faster recovery time and is just plain fun. Plus with the money you save, get the pinpointer, it will make life easier.

Dave

I also bought the Ace 350 and still own it. I had a great year last year, but I know I'm missing stuff. For example, I had an iffy signal in a local park last year (only hit every other pass), I dug it and found a 1888 Indian Head at the bottom of the plug about 5" down. I left the hole open and rescanned with the ace, nothing. Took the pinpointer out and got a signal at the bottom of the hole. I proceeded to dig down to about 7" and recovered a huge pocket spill. All indian head pennies (no silver) but there were 12 and they were all from the 1880's. After that experience I knew I had to get a better detector. The ground was dry as a bone, so I know I wasn't getting the greatest depth, but that was very discouraging. I'm going to take the plunge and buy the CTX on Friday, paid for by the finds from the Ace 350. My advise would be to buy the best machine you can afford. It's not a good feeling to find a great spot and feel like you're missing things because you have an inferior detector.

Back
Top Bottom