Conundrum

bisctboy

I have been doing research for about a year in anticipation of jumping head first into metal detecting. I don’t have a lot of experience with metal detecting and I currently have a Bounty Hunter IV that I’ve used to find several coins. I’ve been interested in this hobby for quite some time but have devoted my funds and time to other hobbies in the past several years. I am in the process of selling the pride and joy of my telescope hobby and will divert the money from this into a metal detector.

During my research I have come to the conclusion that the E-Trac is one of the best (if not the best) consumer detectors a person can buy. I have also noticed that even seasoned hobbyists say there a learning curve to the E-Trac. This is where my question lies. Knowing that the E-Trac is the premier detector, is it too much machine for the rookie?

For full disclosure, here are my intentions/goals for the hobby:

• Primary hunting will be for coins/jewelry
• Close 2nd primary hunting is that I live in just outside of Philadelphia and I would LOVE to hunt for relics
• Although money is an object, I have no problem spending the money on the best
• I have no problem spending months on a learning curve for the right MD
• I would use it on the beach…rarely, but I would like the ability to use it there

I guess what I’m asking is if you had the chance to go back into the future where you started this hobby, would you have jumped into the E-Trac right away or would you have started with a AT-Pro, Fisher F70, X-Terra 705/505, etc and then progressed to the E-Trac?

Thanks,

Marshall

Since you have some experience with a metal detector, you could probably get an Etrac and learn it without too much difficulty if you are going to put the time in to read the manual, get the Etrac handbook, learn from the knowledge of the members on the forums using them, and put your own in field hours in it. That being said, when I did have one, I went from the Xterra 705 to the Etrac and the transition was a lot easier because there are some similarities between the 2 machines. It really isn't that hard of a machine to learn but there is a fairly steep learning curve to fully understand it. JMHO.

The Etrac can be a complicated machine and does take time to really learn all the different sounds but it is not exceedingly difficult to use/learn and you'll find stuff all the way along the learning curve. While the Etrac will keep you busy for some time to come learning all the nuances of the signals it produces, you can also be out there finding silver within 5 minutes of assembling it (in the right areas of course!). I think the Etrac is perfect for beginners and pros alike especially if you really want to maximize your time out in the field. You can just start out in one of the factory modes and set it in Auto +3 and go from there. Get the Andy Sabisch book, swing slow and low, watch the videos on YouTube and practice, practice, practice. Also get yourself a proper digger (Lesche) and a pinpointer if you don't already have them. Taking into account your stated detecting objectives I'd say the Etrac would be a great choice if you can afford it, especially is silver is your main objective. :yes:

I started with a Tracker 4, learned the basics with it, and also found out I wanted to pursue detecting on a higher level. After too much research:lol:...I decided to go with the F75 LTD over the E-Trac, because of the light weight, long battery life, fast recovery and excellent target separation offered by the Fisher. I hunt in places where you can't scrub the ground with the coil...the woods, rocky beaches, overgrown places where the boost feature on the LTD is needed. I also hunt trashy parks and schoolyards for silver, hunted to death spots where having depth and unmasking capability is a must. It's a turn on and go detector, the settings you input are saved, and I find no need to change my setup, even though I'm always hunting different locations...Looking back after almost 2 years of running it, and all the things I've found...I have no regrets at all with the choice I made.

I started with a Tracker 4, learned the basics with it, and also found out I wanted to pursue detecting on a higher level. After too much research:lol:...I decided to go with the F75 LTD over the E-Trac, because of the light weight, long battery life, fast recovery and excellent target separation offered by the Fisher. I hunt in places where you can't scrub the ground with the coil...the woods, rocky beaches, overgrown places where the boost feature on the LTD is needed. I also hunt trashy parks and schoolyards for silver, hunted to death spots where having depth and unmasking capability is a must. It's a turn on and go detector, the settings you input are saved, and I find no need to change my setup, even though I'm always hunting different locations...Looking back after almost 2 years of running it, and all the things I've found...I have no regrets at all with the choice I made.

This

If you plan to hit non-cut grass, fields, woods at all I would definitely get the F75 LTD. Etrac is a bit cumbersome.

I am a stone cold rookie and purchased an E-Trac as my first detector. I started finding stuff immediately, but I have learned a lot in the past 30 days about the unit and especially its "tones" when listening to different signals. I am starting to get a better sense when something is a good target from its sounds as much as its VDI numbers. I am glad that i purchased it now and am starting to really appreciate the power that it affords. I found my first silver coin this week and I could not be more pleased with the unit. It is a lot of money for a beginner unit I guess, but i have wanted to do this since I was much younger and knew that I would someday. I have a lot more learning to do and I do not feel that my E-Trac will limit me or my progress at all. Good luck with your choices and happy hunting!

Thanks for the replies! The E-Trac is roughly twice the price of the X-Terra 705. Is it really that that much better and, in your opinions, will I wish I had bought the E-Trac in the first place?

Thanks,

Marshall

Thanks for the replies! The E-Trac is roughly twice the price of the X-Terra 705. Is it really that that much better and, in your opinions, will I wish I had bought the E-Trac in the first place?

Thanks,

Marshall
They're hard to compare. The technologies (FBS & V-Flex) are quite different, and as such they are actually complimentary rather than competitive. Aspects of both were incorporated in the CTX.

That said, I have both a 705(V-Flex) and an Explorer SE(FBS) and I have to say that the only things I dig deeper with the Explorer than I find with the Xterra are when I have an 18" coil on (my biggest coils for the 705 are 15").

Beyond that, I'd have to say that the 705 will still be in the arsenal long after the Explorer is gone. It's too versitile, lightweight and effective to part with. Does the Explorer or E-Trac provide more information? Absolutely! Do they have finer discrimination? Without a doubt! But for the money there isn't another machine on the market that can do what a 705 can, especially if you include weight and battery consumption in the equation.

They're both great machines. You really can't go wrong with either.

I wouldn't really use the etrac on the beach though it gives you a lot of information about the ground but that also comes at a price you have to go real slow on the beach . Alot of people want something fast for the beach mainly because there is going to be more targets whether it is trash or coins. Especially if you are going to a popular beach during the summer. I got the xterra and will be getting the excal in march and then I will have both the land and the water covered. The xterra will hit really well on silver and gold by switching the coil and the etrac will sniff out the silver but might miss the smaller gold earrings that the x-terras gold pack coil will pick up

I got the xterra and will be getting the excal in march and then I will have both the land and the water covered.

This is the same path that I would follow assuming that I wanted a waterproof salt water capable detector. Having been wading, I know that I personally will never be comfortable unless it is waterproof - I just cannot have fun knowing that I am one wave or misstep away from ruining my electronics.

While I would not recommend any detector I would ask myself these questions:
(1. Am I really THAT excited about this hobby? My best friend, who started me on my path, has since left the hobby.
(2. Is weight a problem? I had a CZ-5 that I LOVED and my arm COLLAPSED after using it for a couple of hours! I tried hip mounting,etc. and the wiring got in my way and was a nuisance.
(3. What kind of feeling did you leave with after using the Tracker IV? There are so many detectorists today-did you feel you shoulda found more?
In my area, depth is a curse! If I had the time to find historical sites in my area and they were in traveling distance and IF I were retired-yadayada.

The vast majority of my detecting will be on dry ground, not the beach. Yes, I have many historical sites within easy driving distance. I'm starting to lean towards the X Terra 705 and buy some nice accessories with it (pinpointed, digging tool, etc).

The vast majority of my detecting will be on dry ground, not the beach. Yes, I have many historical sites within easy driving distance. I'm starting to lean towards the X Terra 705 and buy some nice accessories with it (pinpointed, digging tool, etc).

You should ask Longhair to list the 3 most essential coils needed to maximize your enjoyment of the 705. But then, maybe I just did :)

Anyhow, don't get stuck without the right coils.

I've answered him directly in a PM.

But for the benefit of others I'll make a purchase recommedation relative to the 705.
Buy the Gold Pack if you don't put a package together with a forum sponsor. The sponsors can be flexible.
The reason for geting the Gold Pack is simple. The coil that comes with it is a more expensive coil to buy separately than the standard MF CC, and you'll want a 10.5" MF DD anyway. So why have two 7.5kHz coils when you'll likely only use one of them?
If the Gold Pack coil isn't one that you want/need? Sell it and get more for it than you would the standard MF CC, and put the money into another coil that you want.

Personally, I have a 15" Coiltek HF DD that sees use on the beach and relic hunting farm fields, but that's all. I love my MF & LF coils and have several. They are my "bread & butter" coils. MF coils have the most honest TID accross the entire detection range, so they are "go to" coils. LF coils are high conductor hammers! There is nothing that slams silver and copper like 3kHz!

Now buy what you will.
:D

Back
Top Bottom