Is the Whites XLT still relevant?

FatNakedGuy

Getting back into detecting after many years off and wanted to know what folks thought of the Whites XLT compared to newer detectors (etrac/at pro) with regard to technology, etc.

Would like to find older coins as well as jewelry.

Thanks!

Rick

XLT is still a good machine. If you have one you might as well use it, you're going to find coins and relics at decent depth. I would say it's the most advanced White's 6.59 kHz model, the included programs are OK but if you want more depth you'll need to get into programming it. If you want something more modern, for example, I found a DFX at a local pawn shop for $179, it included the 5.3 coil. DFX operates at 15 kHz and 3 kHz and is also very programmable.

The XLT is still a good machine, albeit not as deep as the modern ones. It's a perfect choice for someone who wants a top quality detector without breaking the bank. If you have one or are considering picking one up, look into purchasing the 5.3 coil for the trashy spots, it works well. Also, the custom programs by Monte and the Fox (Whites guy) are highly recommended.

T

I have an E-Trac and XLT.

The XLT is nice because it's so LIGHT and well balanced. I've found silver dimes at 8" but not with any of the standard programs. It's an all-day hunt machine for sure.

You need to make some simple adjustments and then save them as a program you can use if hunting coins - such as turning on multitone and stepped pinpointing. The White's relic mode is fine as-is IMO.

To really squeeze out the last few inches on the XLT you need to tolerate some chatter.

I've used a XLT for years and it still is a great machine. I recently got a DFX because of the better selection in coils but like them both.

Thanks for the JB link! I tried out Monte's relic plus today. It went crazy so I'll need to figure out how to tone it down some. Also tried another program from that website and it worked well.

Speaking of coils, I am using the standard coil that came with the machine (9.5 I think?). Is there a better coil to use with the XLT?

Thanks again for the link and info!

Monte, among many other XLT hunters, swear by the Royal 800 coil for general hunting, it's a thin profile 8" coil. That could be the reason your machine was a bit chatty when using his program, if you have the 950 coil. As with any of the programs you encounter, tinker with the sens. and/or gain until it's stable enough for you to hunt. I should back up and say make sure you have a good understanding of the options/controls before messing with them. You can easily decrease your depth and finds by making adjustments... The 5.3" coil is great for trashy areas and was one of my favorites. The 4x6 dd shooter coil hasn't faired well with the XLT for some reason, but that's just hearsay. I haven't personally used one on the XLT. I've only had one on my MXT, and it worked well, but that is a whole different machine, ie freq. controls, etc....

still swinging my xlt, will continue till it stops working or i do. love my little 5 inch trash coil. great for old farm sites i like to hunt. HH blev

My XLT has found old silver twice while a buddy got skunked using his e-trac. A lot depends on getting the coil over a good target. I love it enough to keep it and buy an AT Pro for water use. I'd hate to drop my XLT in the creek!

You need to make some simple adjustments and then save them as a program you can use if hunting coins - such as turning on multitone and stepped pinpointing. The White's relic mode is fine as-is IMO.

To really squeeze out the last few inches on the XLT you need to tolerate some chatter.

Pocketspill, what program do you use for deep silver? I've just been turning on tone id and vco then turning up the sensitivity. Thanks

Pocketspill, what program do you use for deep silver? I've just been turning on tone id and vco then turning up the sensitivity. Thanks

That's basically it, except that you want to boost the pre-amp gain (pro options) as high as you can and lower pulltab reject. The chatter can get a bit tiresome, so your mileage may vary. AC sensitivity as high as you can tolerate, but remember that every change to pre-amp gain is like adjusting 25 points on AC sensitivity. I start with the coin/jewelry program, make the changes and save that.

You need to try a few other detectors. My XLT is probably the heaviest detector I own. After swinging it all day, I usually switch to my F2 or one of the other detectors I have.

It's all relative I guess. I've held other detectors and if I had unlimited funds would probably own a Tesoro also.

That's basically it, except that you want to boost the pre-amp gain (pro options) as high as you can and lower pulltab reject. The chatter can get a bit tiresome, so your mileage may vary. AC sensitivity as high as you can tolerate, but remember that every change to pre-amp gain is like adjusting 25 points on AC sensitivity. I start with the coin/jewelry program, make the changes and save that.

I guess I need to try adjusting both higher than my normal comfort zone and see what results. I also have to read about pulltab reject.

Of course I just got my AT Pro so I'll be enjoying learning that system too :)

Xlt

My uncle just gave me his hardly used Whites Spectrum XLT and I can't wait to use it. I'm new to detecting and have been using a cheapo Bounty Hunter lol but I've had some good times with that thing so I can't wait to see what I can produce with this XLT. I'm curious about the programing your all talking about. I can't even turn mine on yet as my uncle couldn't find the battery pack lol but if he don't find it in a couple days I'll just grab one online or something.
I'm curious what the toggle switch is right on or near the handle too ?
So this was a good thread to go through as I was wondering if it was a good machine. When he told me he said he had a top of the line MD but neglected to say it was prolly 10 years old lol but that's ok by me from what I've read :)

Back
Top Bottom