Garrett ACE 150

Boats/Gunner

Does any one else use the ACE 150? When I was out in the front yard it was saying a coin (wich was correct) was 4 inches down. but every time the coins were just below the grass roots. I had the detector about 1/2 inch from the ground. Does this happen to any one else and how can I prevent it?

Thanks in advance
-Pete

Depth is one of the less accurate readings on detectors because there's so many variables: soil type, target size, target type, etc.

Last edited:
it was saying a coin (wich was correct) was 4 inches down. but every time the coins were just below the grass roots. I had the detector about 1/2 inch from the ground.
I find the Ace 250 tends to read about an inch shallower than the coins usually are. combine this with the fact that your coil is at least a half inch above the ground (mine varies between 1/2 and 1 inch), and the thickness of the grass and the grass roots (which can be deceptive) and you may find that a coin that is only 1 inch below the soil is actually close to 4 inches from the coil.

Remember the Ace is not measuring the depth of the target below the surface of the ground it is measuring the distance between the coil and a coin sized object.

I have an Ace 150 and the times I had used it I don't pay to much attention on how deep the target is. I center the target as much as I can and then dig. I do the same on the MXT also.:waytogo:

Hi !

I have ace 150 ,and I do the same thing as long as the signal is good I center my coil over the signal and dig, I only use depth indicator to pinpoint ,for example if it shows 6+ in one spot and moved couple inches to another spot it shows 4 and then again 6+ the target will be at the shallower reading,Ace is a very good machine but it takes along learning curve the more I go out with mine the better I get ,Aldo I am getting a new water machine as soon as it is in stock at Kellyco "still on the backorder" good luck and HH:)

Guesstimate

I always find when I use my Garrett Ace 150, the depth indicator is never dead right on, but a guesstimate (Best Guess), I do use it as a general indicator of were something is, then I dig and use the pin pointer......

Back
Top Bottom